By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saw a Wii U in person for the first time yeserday and didn't even know it was a Wii U

MDMAlliance said:
tuscaniman99 said:
MDMAlliance said:
tuscaniman99 said:
They do look exactly alike

I don't think you've read any posts besides the OP.  There are pictures here showing the two in one picture.  They are about as different looking as most other systems this gen vs last gen.

Well they should have named it something else. The U logo doesn't look like a U at all. Whoever agreed to that logo design hopefully still isn't making decisions. On to the console. I guess they do look different in pictures. I only saw a Wii in person a few times so I wouldn't be able to say which one was which if they took off the logo.

Personally, I think the reason why Wii U is considered a bad name to so many people while PS4 isn't (because it is essentially the same thing with the naming difference) is because Nintendo hasn't been consistent with naming their new consoles.  If all their other consoles were called "Wii (X)" as well, I am sure that no one would be saying how confusing the name is.

Yeah but it just doesn't make sense. The first system was NES (Nintendo Entertainment System), SNES after, N64, etc. All had a different name and Nintendo in the name until Gamecube. They should have went with an entirely new name or did Super Wii. First time they went with the same name with a tiny variation.

Around the Network

Well what did you really expect with a Mii game? Did you really expect those Miis to look super crisp graphically and realistic?

Try Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World.. Pretty sure you'll be able to tell it aint a Wii..

tuscaniman99 said:
MDMAlliance said:

Personally, I think the reason why Wii U is considered a bad name to so many people while PS4 isn't (because it is essentially the same thing with the naming difference) is because Nintendo hasn't been consistent with naming their new consoles.  If all their other consoles were called "Wii (X)" as well, I am sure that no one would be saying how confusing the name is.

Yeah but it just doesn't make sense. The first system was NES (Nintendo Entertainment System), SNES after, N64, etc. All had a different name and Nintendo in the name until Gamecube. They should have went with an entirely new name or did Super Wii. First time they went with the same name with a tiny variation.

Technically the Gamecube was called the NGC (Nintendo Gamecube).  Really it was the Wii that took out the "Nintendo" part.  However, even with the word "Nintendo" being in all of the system titles before, it still wasn't consistent because SNES to N64 was no natural progression (just like X360 to X One isn't) and NGC was even further away from the naming scheme.  

Also, I think that if they called it the "Super Wii," it would have looked even MORE like an add-on to the Wii than Wii U does.

edit: And for handhelds, the Gameboy actually didn't have "Nintendo" in it until the DS (ironically being within the same time frame as the Wii coming out.  Strange to see the swap there, isn't it?)

BasilZero said:
PattonFiend said:
If people don't know the difference between a Wii and Wii U, there is something far more wrong with them then being dumb, lol.

Or people just dont even read and then judge just by the designs. It even says WiiU....l0l.

And that's only because on first glance I dismissed it as a normal Wii without looking too closely, because they look remarkably similair. Also "l0l" really? How old are you, 12?

so they were playing a Wiiu game which features the Mii characters but no one around the Wii-u was holding the Gamepad.... ooo.... I smell.... something that comes from a bull... I'm bracing myself for a wall of obscenities for pointing this out tho.

Also odd to pick on the name of the system but defend the Xbox1 as a name for the 3rd system they have. Should everyone just go with Ps1/2/3/4 and the portable version be called the.... Oh nvm :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Daisuke72 said:

Also "l0l" really? How old are you, 12?

You have a problem if I am? l0l. Btw welcome to the Internet.

Honestly, reading the name of a system is quite easy, initials or the actual name of the system is on the system itself. Funny how people dont read these days.

So you're assuming I don't read because I didn't see the U? Ironic when you consider I said literally three minutes ago I didn't look at it hard, you're right, people don't like reading nowadays.

ganoncrotch said:
so they were playing a Wiiu game which features the Mii characters but no one around the Wii-u was holding the Gamepad.... ooo.... I smell.... something that comes from a bull... I'm bracing myself for a wall of obscenities for pointing this out tho.

Also odd to pick on the name of the system but defend the Xbox1 as a name for the 3rd system they have. Should everyone just go with Ps1/2/3/4 and the portable version be called the.... Oh nvm :D

Why would I lie? What purpose?  You Nintendo fans are literally labeling ANYONE who criticizes the Wii U as haters and liars, and I'm someone who plans on buying the god damn thing. 

Also when did I defend the Xbox One? 

Also sending shots at Sony in a non-Sony related thread just shows how insecure you are and how serious you take this whole console wars thing.

I sign my name to the list of people not sure what the wii U looks like. only the game pad with the screen I know for sure I can recognize.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Daisuke72 said:
ganoncrotch said:

Why would I lie? What purpose?  You Nintendo fans are literally labeling ANYONE who criticizes the Wii U as haters and liars, and I'm someone who plans on buying the god damn thing. 

Also when did I defend the Xbox One? 

Also sending shots at Sony in a non-Sony related thread just shows how insecure you are and how serious you take this whole console wars thing.

This is the first time I have been called this in my life, thank you for that after 30 long years I guess I had it coming.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

BasilZero said:
Daisuke72 said:

So you're assuming I don't read because I didn't see the U? Ironic when you consider I said literally three minutes ago I didn't look at it hard, you're right, people don't like reading nowadays.

You assume I was talking about you, I am mostly talking about experiences I've had when I was working in retail.

Anyways, if you didnt look too hard, why would you make a judgment like that? But I guess what khlover said may be true, you might be blind lol.

Because the graphics on the game was terrible and it looked similar to my little sister's wii console, not blind but like I said, I haven't seen the Wii U EVER before, with the similarities it has with the Wii, and wit h the Gamepad not in sight, honestly 5x out of 10 non-nintendo fan's that are "hardcore" gamers would get confused if they didn't note the "U" on it. And it's not like I pay extensive attention to the Wii's design either, since I never had one or saw them very often.