By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saw a Wii U in person for the first time yeserday and didn't even know it was a Wii U

That's one of 3 possible epic mistakes.

Nintendo made them all:

1)When people want to buy a new console,they want to buy something that looks new in their shelve/tv rack and not something that looks like the forth 360 and second ps4.

2)Most nintendo gamers are casual gamers,they still don't know the difference between a Wii and a Wii U and if the new system looks so similar to the old one that even core gamers fail to tell the difference on first,second and third sight in a quiet small room how the hell should casual-mom in a huge mall with 1000 technical devices,noisy music and lots of people tell the difference???

3)The Name:
Similar look,similar name.
If you sell two different syestems that almost look the same people will always buy the one that is 150 dollar cheaper.
The Name Wii U was a terrible decision as there is Wii mii,Wii Fit,Wii Sports-it just sound like an add on.
they should have called it Wii 2.

Around the Network
SxyxS said:

1)When people want to buy a new console,they want to buy something that looks new in their shelve/tv rack and not something that looks like the forth 360 and second ps4.

2)Most nintendo gamers are casual gamers,they still don't know the difference between a Wii and a Wii U and if the new system looks so similar to the old one that even core gamers fail to tell the difference on first,second and third sight in a quiet small room how the hell should casual-mom in a huge mall with 1000 technical devices,noisy music and lots of people tell the difference???

2. If you can't tell the difference between Wii and Wii U at this point, you're probably not a "hardcore gamer" to begin with. For "casuals" this holds true though.

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

This thread is silly.

I can guaruntee that at a quick look, 95% of people wont be able to tell the difference between COD: Ghosts 360 version and XBONE version.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

MohammadBadir said:
if you care enough about the thing, you'll know which is which.

Casual gamers never care, and the big bucks are in the casual market, thats the only reason wii was a sucess.

I always find it astonishing that people always know exactly what the difference is between an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S. An iPad 1, 2, 3, 4. A Galaxy S2, S3 and whatever else, but supposedly don't see the difference between a DS and a 3DS or a Wii and WiiU. They're all casuals are they not? Are those people also not seeing the difference between a PSP and a PSV? Those look the same as well. Do those people think the 360 is better than the One, since you know, threehundred-sixty beats one?

I'm not buying those arguments. People know perfectly well what what is. Those things are not the problem. Apple doesn't even bother changing the names of their products with each generation. Better yet, even all the boxes for each new generation are exactly the same! Still, people know. They aren't stupid.

For the record, I'm not saying I'm not buying OP's observation. Of course he's telling the truth, why wouldn't he be? Mistakes can be made, anyone can be confused for a moment. If someone was playing a PS1 game on a PS3 when I was walking into a room without knowing, I'd mistake them playing a PS1 at first as well.

Around the Network

Incubi said:

Heh. Basically my argument in the post above yours, but with a single picture instead of my thousand words... Guess the saying is true .

S.Peelman said:
Incubi said:

Heh. Basically my argument in the post above yours, but with a single picture instead of my thousand words... Guess the saying is true .

Yeah. The confusion about the look of Wii, WiiU and how that guy cant see the difference between a Wii and WiiU game? All i can say to that guy is this:

It's really not that difficult to discern. It's incredibly sad that you indeed are apart of a video game forum and this still dazes you. Also, by the numerous pictures shown above, Nintendo wasn't the first or only to make something that looked slightly like their last iteration.

I guess to each his own eye.

They did that on purpose. They wanted to focus on the Gamepad as the differentiating factor.