By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saw a Wii U in person for the first time yeserday and didn't even know it was a Wii U

Honestly, I think the Wii U looks just as different as the PS3 does to the PS4. I think the only way to really get confused is if you don't know how either one looks like very well. The Wii stands differently than the Wii U, the Wii U has more rounded edges, the size is different, the buttons are slightly different (in placement), and they have their logos on it.

little pic edit:

Around the Network

Funny thing is the exact same thing happened to me earlier this year when I was over a buddies house... I was checking out his entertainment cabinet which had PS3, 360, a PS2 phat and what I assumed was a Wii sitting on top of it because there was a Wiimote next to the 360 and PS3 controllers sitting on the shelf.

Then a bit later we're sitting on the couch across the room just BSing and watching TV, and I ask him if he'd gotten any new games lately. He told me he had just picked up Injustice on PS3, and was thinking about picking up Lego City but decided to hold off for now. I looked over at him and said "You know that's only on the Wii U, right?" He goes yeah I know. I paused a second, and then I said "Wait... you have a Wii U?!?" He's like yeah man it's right over there and points across the room at his entertainment center. Well I'll be damned. And the gamepad was in the cabinet underneath the consoles so no I didn't see it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

MDMAlliance said:

Honestly, I think the Wii U looks just as different as the PS3 does to the PS4. I think the only way to really get confused is if you don't know how either one looks like very well. The Wii stands differently than the Wii U, the Wii U has more rounded edges, the size is different, the buttons are slightly different (in placement), and they have their logos on it.

little pic edit:

Daisuke72 said:
MDMAlliance said:

little pic edit:

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that.

So what, everyone in this post is saying is that non Nintendo fans don't know what the Wii U looks like. We had also seen examples of how a lot of products (including X Box) share the same flaws. So what was this thread about? How the Wii U should look different? God, this is just another one of those threads that are simply created to piss people off. (sigh)

Around the Network

There are many things that Nintendo could have done differently with the Wii U.

- Better marketing in general.
- A better name instead of "I'm the Kinect of Wii". (Which is actually what I thought it was, some kind of extension hardware.)
- Mario Galaxy 3 on launch.

They do look exactly alike

tuscaniman99 said:

I don't think you've read any posts besides the OP.  There are pictures here showing the two in one picture.  They are about as different looking as most other systems this gen vs last gen.

MDMAlliance said:
tuscaniman99 said:

I don't think you've read any posts besides the OP.  There are pictures here showing the two in one picture.  They are about as different looking as most other systems this gen vs last gen.

Well they should have named it something else. The U logo doesn't look like a U at all. Whoever agreed to that logo design hopefully still isn't making decisions. On to the console. I guess they do look different in pictures. I only saw a Wii in person a few times so I wouldn't be able to say which one was which if they took off the logo.

tuscaniman99 said:
MDMAlliance said:
tuscaniman99 said:

Well they should have named it something else. The U logo doesn't look like a U at all. Whoever agreed to that logo design hopefully still isn't making decisions. On to the console. I guess they do look different in pictures. I only saw a Wii in person a few times so I wouldn't be able to say which one was which if they took off the logo.

Personally, I think the reason why Wii U is considered a bad name to so many people while PS4 isn't (because it is essentially the same thing with the naming difference) is because Nintendo hasn't been consistent with naming their new consoles.  If all their other consoles were called "Wii (X)" as well, I am sure that no one would be saying how confusing the name is.