By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blackbond and Jason Rubin Tell It Like It Is About Wii U

_crazy_man_ said:
A $200 Wii U would be financial suicide at this point.

They make more than enough profit from 3DS software sales to offshoot any loss on Wii-U hardware. Not to mention, they have billions in savings. They could and should drop it to $199.99.

Around the Network
gmcmen said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:

I don't think it was a fad, because it had a normal life as a console (would you consider CDs or DVDs as a fad?). If Wii was a fad, then every past console were fads. Wii had a lasting effect on gaming, fads don't had long term effects.

Oh, fyi, the 'boy band' thing has been around for decades.

The Wii did not have a lasting effect on gaming. It was a fleeting love affair that never created real gamers. It was a petty trinket that the non-gamers used to pass the time and the throw away. If the Wii U created an Army the Wii U wouldnt be in the predicament that its in.

thank you, 100 million sold, yet nobody shows up to buy its successer,  sounds like a fad, unless none of those buyers enjoyed there wii, i live in florida you always here people talking about  ps4/xbone, nobody ever talks about the wiiu.

So, motion gaming doesn't count? I was not talking about WiiU, a successor doesn't hav to be it's only effect.

nomad said:
gmcmen said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:

I don't think it was a fad, because it had a normal life as a console (would you consider CDs or DVDs as a fad?). If Wii was a fad, then every past console were fads. Wii had a lasting effect on gaming, fads don't had long term effects.

Oh, fyi, the 'boy band' thing has been around for decades.

The Wii did not have a lasting effect on gaming. It was a fleeting love affair that never created real gamers. It was a petty trinket that the non-gamers used to pass the time and the throw away. If the Wii U created an Army the Wii U wouldnt be in the predicament that its in.

thank you, 100 million sold, yet nobody shows up to buy its successer,  sounds like a fad, unless none of those buyers enjoyed there wii, i live in florida you always here people talking about  ps4/xbone, nobody ever talks about the wiiu.

So, motion gaming doesn't count? I was not talking about WiiU, a successor doesn't hav to be it's only effect.

motion controls are a fad, sony got the memo, microsoft didn't, even the wiiu its just a tacked on gimmick, which nintendo games are using motion controls in a meaningful way on wiiu, take a guess.

It's okay not to like motion gaming, but it's here now and Will most likely stay. It opened new potential for gaming. Mobile, PS Move & Eye, DS4, Vita, Kinect, 3DS, etc. Fads just fade away without any real impact, Wii had an impact.

nomad said:
It's okay not to like motion gaming, but it's here now and Will most likely stay. It opened new potential for gaming. Mobile, PS Move & Eye, DS4, Vita, Kinect, 3DS, etc. Fads just fade away without any real impact, Wii had an impact.

If it stays in the limelight its most likely because its being forced upon us ::Cough::Kinect::Cough::. Nintendo created a market but because they dont really care about gaming just the fad the overall market will shrink compared to last gen. Nintendo created a group of gamers they cannot depend on for generational sales. On the other hand Sony and Microsoft know what creates a loyal fanbase. Exclusives and healthy third party.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
nomad said:

If it stays in the limelight its most likely because its being forced upon us ::Cough::Kinect::Cough::. Nintendo created a market but because they dont really care about gaming just the fad the overall market will shrink compared to last gen. Nintendo created a group of gamers they cannot depend on for generational sales. On the other hand Sony and Microsoft know what creates a loyal fanbase. Exclusives and healthy third party.

What?!

Nintendo dont care about gaming? That is literally all they care about.

Nintendo are, majority of the time, the company sole responsible for huge advancements in the gaming world.

If anything, its MS who doesnt care about gaming, with their huge media focus

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

not really boy bands were a fad that lasted 4-5 years, there some fads that even last longer, thing is about fads is they just become irrelevant, after being insanly popular.

But consoles normally last 5-6 years, so Wii is not abnormal.

like i said it doesn't matter how long it lasted, a fad is something every loves, then nobody cares about, wii going from 100 million, to its succesor on life support at the moment.

Part of being a "fad" is being short lived. Here today, gone tomorrow. Wii wasn't. It lived for an average console lifespan.

Blah blah blah blah Nintendo doomed blah blah blah blah

It´s funny how video game media is full of completely ignorant pseudo-wanna-be-journalists that don´t understand a s**t about economy.

Everybody knows that Nintendo is struggling in marketing its console, but take a look at the handheld front: 3DS is dominating the market and it seems that it will continue to do so.

Nintendo is making huge money with the 3ds right now and will continue to do so. At Target it was one of the top sellers on Black Friday and holidays are really promising with the acessible 2ds on the aisles.

It won´t take long until 3ds become again the best seller game console, as it was almost every week this year.

WiiU situation right now is really dissapointing, Nintendo must keep supporting it, but the 3ds sucess will be enough for them to keep a positive economic result in the end of the fiscal year

Devil_Survivor said:
STRYKIE said:
MohammadBadir said:
Blackbond? The same guy who graced us with the quote "if you're not a graphics whore, then you're not a gamer"?

A quote you're taking way out of context I might add.

What context are you referring to? the fact it makes him look a mssive idiot that doesnt know anything about gaming or that he's a giant douchbag for daring to say if you don't play games simply for graphics your not a really gamer.

Bolded 1: Woah.. my bad that he struck a nerve with you

Bolded 2: Let me ask you this, you have a PS3 right? What cable input do you use for it? AV? S-Video? HDMI? Component?

Panicnausia said:
Metallicube said:
Arius Dion said:
The game industry needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs it. Just wish Nintendo would realize this.

They seemed to realize it with the Wii.. Unforunately, they forgot with the Wii U. Perhaps they will remember again with their next console. I hope so anyway.

When Nintendo tries to go along with what the industry does/wants, both the quality and sales suffer tremendously. When they flip the bird to the industry and go their own way, they end up with phenomenons like the NES and Wii..

Also, Panicnausia: I meant during launch

Totally wrong, the N64, gamecube were totally against what develpers and the industry wanted, and look where it got them.  Third parties started leaving. The wii was a 1 time fad that started fading in 2010.  The game industry was not much of an industry in the NES days, totally different then it is now.

Also how os the wii-u want the industry wanted?? No one wanted an under powered tablet controller game system. PS4 is what devs and the industry wanted.

Everybody in the industry, as well as the "hardcore" kept barking at Nintendo to ditch the Wii and make a "Wii HD." That's exactly what the Wii U is..