By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blackbond and Jason Rubin Tell It Like It Is About Wii U

Cleary397 said:
gmcmen said:
Cleary397 said:
gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

I never said the wii doesn't count, but just by going trough every console generation, except the 7th gen, every console with out strong third party support sold poorly, and look it continues going back to the same trend.

It is the general rule, yes. 
Every rule has its exceptions. (The Wii) 

the wii was a fad imo, people have completely forgetten about as it never existed, it's succesor the wii u is at a great price, 299,99, with much better games in its first year, hd graphics, and a gamepad controller, yet where is the dedicated fans, you can easily argue, that 249,99 7 years ago =299,99 today.

The Wii lasted a normal console lifespan. A fad would have fizzled out in 2009.

not really boy bands were a fad that lasted 4-5 years, there some fads that even last longer, thing is about fads is they just become irrelevant, after being insanly popular.

The Wii is in no way a fad.

It ushered in the all so popular features of your beloved 'hardcore' consoles, it popularised motion controls to the masses which allowed Microsoft to capitalise on the huge Wii fanbase with the Kinect.

The Wii was the start of a new way of gaming. Not a fad.

here is the funny part, microsoft are gonna be outsold by 20 million + by the end of this gen, by choosing weaker but more expensive hardware cause of kinect.

You have to look at it from a business perspective.

Sure, MS would love to beat SONY in sales numbers, but if MS can make profit on the XBONE it will be a success.

As it goes so far, they are making huge losses because of the massive investment they made in infrastructure (90 billion servers) but this will benefit them in the long run. Its not all about who sold the most, its who made the most profit.

motion controls were once a hot item, not anymore and microsft will pay for that heavy investment they made for the xbone, i guess they don't realize nobody cares about motion controls anymore.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
mutantclown said:
curl-6 said:

So the 3DS and PS3 are irrelevant? They did poorly early on.

They never stopped getting FULL third party support, did they? 

Nobody buys Nintendo consoles for the third party games.

Well they did before the Playstation came along, and after the Playstation look at the sales of Nintendo home consoles. N64 and GC did poorly. The Wii managed to get past no 3rd party support by appealing to a lot of people by introducing something unique. The cheap price also helped a bit. The Wii U couldn't achieve what the Wii achieved and will likely perform like the N64 and the GC did if Nintendo can't find a solution to its current issues.

Cleary397 said:
gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

not really boy bands were a fad that lasted 4-5 years, there some fads that even last longer, thing is about fads is they just become irrelevant, after being insanly popular.

But consoles normally last 5-6 years, so Wii is not abnormal.

like i said it doesn't matter how long it lasted, a fad is something every loves, then nobody cares about, wii going from 100 million, to its succesor on life support at the moment.

You cannot judge the Wii on the Wii U's current failures.

Though if you do, PS2 was a fad.

PS3 only managed 80 million in its life time compared to 140 million? What a fad!!

ps3 will end up selling 95 million by the time its all said and done, sony was very fortunate the ps2 was so successful, because the 599$ mistake should have doomed them, but anyway you look at it 80-90 million are great numbers for any console, if the wiiu could manage 35-45 million, i won't consider the wii a fad.

gmcmen said:
Cleary397 said:
gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

But consoles normally last 5-6 years, so Wii is not abnormal.

like i said it doesn't matter how long it lasted, a fad is something every loves, then nobody cares about, wii going from 100 million, to its succesor on life support at the moment.

You cannot judge the Wii on the Wii U's current failures.

Though if you do, PS2 was a fad.

PS3 only managed 80 million in its life time compared to 140 million? What a fad!!

ps3 will end up selling 95 million by the time its all said and done, sony was very fortunate the ps2 was so successful, because the 599$ mistake should have doomed them, but anyway you look at it 80-90 million are great numbers for any console, if the wiiu could manage 35-45 million, i won't consider the wii a fad.

The point i am trying to make is that its not all about sales numbers. 

Sure, the Wii had a much better start than the Wii U, but that doesnt do anything to tarnish the Wii's success.

You have to look at the things which were inspired by the Wii - the Kinect and the Move. (though maybe we shouldnt mention the Move)

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:
curl-6 said:
gmcmen said:

I never said the wii doesn't count, but just by going trough every console generation, except the 7th gen, every console with out strong third party support sold poorly, and look it continues going back to the same trend.

It is the general rule, yes. 
Every rule has its exceptions. (The Wii) 

the wii was a fad imo, people have completely forgetten about as it never existed, it's succesor the wii u is at a great price, 299,99, with much better games in its first year, hd graphics, and a gamepad controller, yet where is the dedicated fans, you can easily argue, that 249,99 7 years ago =299,99 today.

The Wii lasted a normal console lifespan. A fad would have fizzled out in 2009.

I don't think it was a fad, because it had a normal life as a console (would you consider CDs or DVDs as a fad?). If Wii was a fad, then every past console were fads. Wii had a lasting effect on gaming, fads don't had long term effects.

Oh, fyi, the 'boy band' thing has been around for decades.

Around the Network
nomad said:
gmcmen said:

I don't think it was a fad, because it had a normal life as a console (would you consider CDs or DVDs as a fad?). If Wii was a fad, then every past console were fads. Wii had a lasting effect on gaming, fads don't had long term effects.

The Wii did not have a lasting effect on gaming. It was a fleeting love affair that never created real gamers. It was a petty trinket that the non-gamers used to pass the time and the throw away. If the Wii created an Army the Wii U wouldnt be in the predicament that its in. The Xbox One and the PS4 will sell just fine because their userbases are stable gamers, not uncertain like the crowd Nintendo made. They are only good for fleeting profit, not long lasting profit.

curl-6 said:
Ah yes, the mandatory daily blah blah Nintendo iz domed!!1one! blah blah thread.

They didn't say they're doomed. They said Nintendo is irrelevant, which is true, given the poor sales of their consoles

S.T.A.G.E. said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:

The Wii did not have a lasting effect on gaming. It was a fleeting love affair that never created real gamers. It was a petty trinket that the non-gamers used to pass the time and the throw away. If the Wii U created an Army the Wii U wouldnt be in the predicament that its in.

thank you, 100 million sold, yet nobody shows up to buy its successer,  sounds like a fad, unless none of those buyers enjoyed there wii, i live in florida you always here people talking about  ps4/xbone, nobody ever talks about the wiiu.

Cleary397 said:
gmcmen said:

here is the funny part, microsoft are gonna be outsold by 20 million + by the end of this gen, by choosing weaker but more expensive hardware cause of kinect.

You have to look at it from a business perspective.

Sure, MS would love to beat SONY in sales numbers, but if MS can make profit on the XBONE it will be a success.

As it goes so far, they are making huge losses because of the massive investment they made in infrastructure (90 billion servers) but this will benefit them in the long run. Its not all about who sold the most, its who made the most profit.

It is a business after all.  If all MS cared about was selling more consoles (than Sony) then they could easily afford to just drop the price to match or beat the PS4.  Also a big portion of profits will come from paying Xbox Live customers, while Sony has the obstacle of convincing people that online that was free on the PS3 is now worth paying for.

It's threads like this and the posters that echoe it's diatribe that make me not like certain ppl. Toys don't have hard drives? Knack shamed Mario? Nintendo irrelevant? Y'all are some master baiters.