By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blackbond and Jason Rubin Tell It Like It Is About Wii U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiqVWV_ueHY

Blackbond and Jason Rubin tell it like it is  about Nintendo's Wii U.  The console is completely irrelevant to the Dedicated Console Industry.  And their irrelevancy is hurting their franchises.  Look at the pitiful sales of the latest installment of their biggest Cash Cow Mario across the globe.  Especially coming in after the PS3's Knack ( even though the game isn't getting the respect it deserves ) in the UK and coming in 7th in its second week in the latest game sales forecast from Japan.

Personally, I only see two ways that Nintendo could be relevant to the console industry.   One would be to drop the Wii U entirely and become a third party developer and the other would be to drop the price of Wii U to $199.00.  I've been criticized for suggesting that Nintendo drop the price of Wii U to $199, but it just isn't at a suitable price point at $299 versus the third party support and the technology under the hoods of PS4 and Xbox One.

Really while lagging far behind the 8th Gen consoles in specs the Wii U is only a step up from the 7th Gen consoles in power.  And the more expensive versions of PS3 and Xbox 360 ( the $250 models ) come with decent sized hard drives in comparison to the Wii U ( which doesn't even have a hard drive at all ( even back in the 1980s I remember my dad talking about the difference between our PC and my Nintendo Entertainment System.  He said, "One way you can tell the difference between a toy and a real computer is that a toy doesn't have a hard drive.  In that respect, Nintendo hasn't evolved since the 1980s ) justifying a more expensive price tag for them than for the Wii U.

If Nintendo hopes to have any chance of remaining relevant in the console industry, they really need to cut the price of Wii U to half of that of PS4 or its going to be left in the dust in the 8th Gen and lead to Nintendo being a 3rd party developer at least where dedicated home video game consoles are concerned.

Around the Network

And who the hell made him god of the industry? Let the consumers decide if it's irreverent. It sure as hell isn't to me, as I just bought one, and have no plans on buying the overpriced machines from Sony or MS (which collectively have MAYBE one game worth checking out) until at least 2016.

Oh boy...

Metallicube said:

And who the hell made him god of the industry? Let the consumers decide if it's irreverent. It sure as hell isn't to me, as I just bought one, and have no plans on buying the overpriced machines from Sony or MS (which collectively have MAYBE one game worth checking out) until at least 2016.

Stating his educated opinion, when he worked in the industry means he thinks he is a gods??? He is right, the writing is on the wall. Even the biggest nintendo fan must see this. He certainly knows more then you about the topic.

399 over priced for a launch console??? Sure bud. Thats not much money.

Your post makes no sense consumerd are deciding it is irrelevant that's the point.

Ah yes, the mandatory daily blah blah Nintendo iz domed!!1one! blah blah thread.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Titanfall and Infamous are coming out in March. And the consumers are already deciding with 3D Mario only selling 250,000 copies in North America in its first week, finishing below Knack in the UK and coming in seventh in its second week in Japan. Note: Final Fantasy Lightning Returns topped it in its first week in Japan.

Its funny how people think Nintendo should go third party but Sony should stay first party... Instead of being so biased... People should say either everyone goes third party or they should stfu... Also Jason has worked for Sony so his words should be meaningless when he is talking about his competitors...

I don't understand why people think power is the key to selling consoles while its always the games... Granted the wiiU is lagging very behind but it isn't dead in the water... Real games only have started to come out and it may not win the console generation but that doesn't mean its not going to have good games and wont sell... People are so stupid sometimes...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Metallicube said:

One game checking out until 2016.......serously??

2014 alone:

Infamous

Uncharted

Titanfall

The order

The Division

Watch Dogs

Dragon Age inquisition

Drive Club

Destiny

Quantum Break

The Crew

Thief

The Witcher 3

to name a few.

A $200 Wii U would be financial suicide at this point.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Well this already has like a million page thread on Neogaf. Not clicking on some random youtube bate stuff. First comment in that neogaf thread sums it up, "Former THQ President would know about irrelevance".

In the gametrailers bonus round, he was not only talking about irrelevance of Nintendo but other two dedicated home consoles in the previous episodes as a proponent of mobile devices. Sure this would be blown out of proportion as Rubin has repeatedly praised Nintendo software as treasures of the industry, yet he is too poor to buy their consoles. He contradicts himself too much for me to not poke holes at his industry expertise despite how much i like the company he once founded.