By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blackbond and Jason Rubin Tell It Like It Is About Wii U

People need to realize that the problem with the Wii U isn't the price, it's the lack of major games. The Wii U wasn't ready to launch in 2012, but Nintendo had no choice or else they would continue to lose money from the Wii. Almost all of the Wii U's major games are not coming out until next year. If those games fail to sell the system, then a price cut might be a reasonable last resort.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network

The wi was a fad, my mother, cousin and grandmother never gamed in their life yet they all owned a wi each. My office has a wi to play wi sports during our free time.

A lot of people who have no interest in video games purchased the wi. Sure some people who are die hard gamers purchased the wi, but majority of wi owners were not gamers and you're now seeing that translate with poor wi u sales.

The wi was an AMAZING console for what it did, the thing with fads is they are similar to hit songs, a lot of times its extremely difficult to find the 2nd (fad/hit record) .

RG3Hunna said:
The wi was a fad, my mother, cousin and grandmother never gamed in their life yet they all owned a wi each. My office has a wi to play wi sports during our free time.

A lot of people who have no interest in video games purchased the wi. Sure some people who are die hard gamers purchased the wi, but majority of wi owners were not gamers and you're now seeing that translate with poor wi u sales.

The wi was an AMAZING console for what it did, the thing with fads is they are similar to hit songs, a lot of times its extremely difficult to find the 2nd (fad/hit record) .

I've said the same thing before, but some people still say that the Wii stole Sony's marketshare. If you just look at the Wii's main demographics it's little kids and casual gamers- it makes sense why the Wii U's focus on hardcore gamers didn't work. The lack of games didn't help either.

RG3Hunna said:

Shit son, you better run for cover 'fore the wolves find ya!

RG3Hunna said:

Wii U's poor sales are because the Wii U itself was handled terribly, not because of the Wii. If Nintendo had made a different console, marketed it better, and provided more appropriate first party software, it could have flown off shelves, and the Wii would not have prevented that.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
Panicnausia said:
Metallicube said:
Arius Dion said:
The game industry needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs it. Just wish Nintendo would realize this.

They seemed to realize it with the Wii.. Unforunately, they forgot with the Wii U. Perhaps they will remember again with their next console. I hope so anyway.

When Nintendo tries to go along with what the industry does/wants, both the quality and sales suffer tremendously. When they flip the bird to the industry and go their own way, they end up with phenomenons like the NES and Wii..

Also, Panicnausia: I meant during launch

Totally wrong, the N64, gamecube were totally against what develpers and the industry wanted, and look where it got them.  Third parties started leaving. The wii was a 1 time fad that started fading in 2010.  The game industry was not much of an industry in the NES days, totally different then it is now.

Also how os the wii-u want the industry wanted?? No one wanted an under powered tablet controller game system. PS4 is what devs and the industry wanted.

Everybody in the industry, as well as the "hardcore" kept barking at Nintendo to ditch the Wii and make a "Wii HD." That's exactly what the Wii U is..

The wii-u is not what they meant....developers left nintendo for a reason, not givn gthe industry what it wants or needs. Eevry said rgiht from the beginning the wii-u was a mistake, Nintendo ignored them.

gmcmen said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
nomad said:
gmcmen said:

I don't think it was a fad, because it had a normal life as a console (would you consider CDs or DVDs as a fad?). If Wii was a fad, then every past console were fads. Wii had a lasting effect on gaming, fads don't had long term effects.

Oh, fyi, the 'boy band' thing has been around for decades.

The Wii did not have a lasting effect on gaming. It was a fleeting love affair that never created real gamers. It was a petty trinket that the non-gamers used to pass the time and the throw away. If the Wii U created an Army the Wii U wouldnt be in the predicament that its in.

thank you, 100 million sold, yet nobody shows up to buy its successer,  sounds like a fad, unless none of those buyers enjoyed there wii, i live in florida you always here people talking about  ps4/xbone, nobody ever talks about the wiiu.

So, motion gaming doesn't count? I was not talking about WiiU, a successor doesn't hav to be it's only effect.

motion controls are a fad, sony got the memo, microsoft didn't, even the wiiu its just a tacked on gimmick, which nintendo games are using motion controls in a meaningful way on wiiu, take a guess.

Why is Sony still using the Camera and Move for their PS4 then? You guys just pick and choose whatever you like to support your nonsense argument. All that money they spent on R&D on the move and camera and they just plan to drop support? That will surely piss whatever remaining investors they have. Lets see who goes third party first.

RG3Hunna said:

For fucks sake.. The games industry and media has really brainwashed you all beyond hope of repair.. You hardcore litterally ALL have the EXACT SAME opinion, spouting off the exact. same. jargon.. constantly, like drones, with a hive mind. None of you use critical thinking. None of you think for yourselves.

The Wii was not a fucking fad, it was a games console that lived a healthy 5 years and sold 100 million units. If you call the Wii a fad, you have to call any console that has lasted 5 years a fad.

Basically, either ALL consoles are fads or none are. You cannot have your cake and eat it too, hardcore.

Panicnausia said:
Metallicube said:
Panicnausia said:
Metallicube said:
Arius Dion said:
The game industry needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs it. Just wish Nintendo would realize this.

They seemed to realize it with the Wii.. Unforunately, they forgot with the Wii U. Perhaps they will remember again with their next console. I hope so anyway.

When Nintendo tries to go along with what the industry does/wants, both the quality and sales suffer tremendously. When they flip the bird to the industry and go their own way, they end up with phenomenons like the NES and Wii..

Also, Panicnausia: I meant during launch

Totally wrong, the N64, gamecube were totally against what develpers and the industry wanted, and look where it got them.  Third parties started leaving. The wii was a 1 time fad that started fading in 2010.  The game industry was not much of an industry in the NES days, totally different then it is now.

Also how os the wii-u want the industry wanted?? No one wanted an under powered tablet controller game system. PS4 is what devs and the industry wanted.

Everybody in the industry, as well as the "hardcore" kept barking at Nintendo to ditch the Wii and make a "Wii HD." That's exactly what the Wii U is..

The wii-u is not what they meant....developers left nintendo for a reason, not givn gthe industry what it wants or needs. Eevry said rgiht from the beginning the wii-u was a mistake, Nintendo ignored them.

Everyone like who? I think youre the only person who has that idea and is crazy enough to involve other imaginary people. Third parties professed themselves at the E3 revealing that they were satisfied with the Wii U so please provide your evidence where they said otherwise. EA pulled out because they could not get what they wanted with their crappy service. Even to this day multiple people on their forums from as far back as 2009 are complaining about the Origin Store not being able to display in the language they speak and they are not giving the option to change it. They never even reply on the forums because their service is horrible and will always be horrible. Reguardless of what they "claim" about Wii U not selling enough units the 3DS is not getting their support either.

thismeintiel said:
Gotta love Nintendo fans who always fall back on the excuse that the Wii U isn't doing well because Nintendo "gave the industry what it wanted." Please. The Wii U is NOT what the industry wanted. In fact, they followed the EXACT same model they did with the Wii. HW that is slightly more powerful than last gen, which comes with a "gimmicky" controller, and is the cheapest console on the market. Unfortunately for Nintendo, it doesn't look like they are going to tap that well twice. If any thing, it seems they may continue on the downward slope their home consoles have been on since the SNES.

But hey, they always have the handheld market on lock.

It is what the industry wanted, it's easy to port to.

Your statement is just proof that what the industry wants is never what Nintendo provides (e.g., goal-post moving)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.