By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii U get discontinued soon??

Mummelmann said:

I assumed you were a part of this crowd; http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=166018&page=1#

If you're not, I appologize. It's just that the same argument has been used by born-again John Lucas followers.

And I feel the need to repeat; I do not agree with the OP.

Fair enough then, I don't come to the boards that often and wasn't fully aware of everything everyone has been saying in recent times I was mainly addressing people predicting it's discontinuation in 2015 and such.

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:

I think it's unwise to buy a Wii U. You never know if it might get discontinued in a year or two..

-Nintendo stopped production on the original Wii (which had similar sales to Wii U at the time)

-Each Wii U is sold at a loss while the Wii was sold for profit

-Xbox 360/ PS3 are selling better than Wii U despite the older systems being just as expensive

-PS4 and Xbox One just launched

-Despite new games and a price cut happening Wii U sales haven't really picked up

-Even if the system was cheaper I don't think anyone would buy it, it doesn't have that casual feeling the Wii did

-Does not play DVDs or blue rays so price can be justified

-Tablet controller is weird, if I wanted to use a tablet for gaming I would just buy a samsung tablet or Ipad

-Same or even less 3rd party support than the GameCube

Nintendo themselves aren't even releasing THAT many games for the system. Most are for 3DS (Which is pretty dope btw).

What do you think? Will the Wii U get discontinued in a couple years similar to dreamcast?

1. Your wrong. Even if a system like Wii U is discontinued it will have exclusive gems you would be sorry for not playing. But The Wii U sill be ridden out for at least 5 years. Nintendo unlike Sony  can afford to do this and the sells will pick up as more exclusives are released. 

2. Nintendo stopped producing the Wii because of the confusion between the Wii and Wii U now there will only be the U and as thus no confusion nor will it undercut Wii U sells. (Another reason) But still no matter what you say there are places that if you ask about the Wii U or say you want one they will hand you a Wii. Also gamers still to this day ask questions like will COD Ghosts play on the Wii? This implies that there is still confusion out there. 

3. Tablet controller becomes second nature if and when you get ued to it p[lus your not getting the games on a normal tablet you are getting here. The third party support I will agree with. But then what did third parties at launch or sometimes after release that was exclusive to the system or hadn't been out for years. (Even Ninja Gaiden, Monster Hunter Tri. were released for last gen systems) We got Zombie U and Tank Tank Tank later Lego City Undercover, and a Sonic game?? not nearly enough. (I still say Rayman Legends if it was exclusive and released at launch would have done far better. 

4. Nintendo is dedicating most of 2014 to the Wii U and maybe on.

5. Sega was making very little to no money. Nintendo had a wad of cash to begin with and is making money off the 3DS. Nintendo is not going the way Sega and their Dreamcast did. 

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Not sure if you want increase your thread count or a real debate.

You only don't like it because you don't have it.
You only don't have it because you don't like it.

I saw some people on here talking about how the 3D Mario sales in Japan were pretty "meh" at best but I'm curious to see what happens when Bayonetta and X get released there. I will pick those 2 up but I doubt it moves the needle very much in the US, but both could be massive hits in Japan. In a weird way I wouldn't even care if he Wii U was discontinued because then my system turns into a Saturn/Dreamcast, and would be worst a ton of money in the future. That isn't happening though.

Around the Network

wii get discontinued in in early 2017 or in 2018

dahuman said:
ryuzaki57 said:
EricFabian said:
ryuzaki57 said:
It begins.

But I agree, they will be forced to discontinue it if the holiday sales are poor

Vita too

Vita has more 3rd party support than any other system in Japan

Yeah and you know what kind of games too /wink hehehehehehe....

All type of games actually. And, when we're at it, here are two of the rare 3DS games scheduled for 2014 in Japan

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/super-sonico-games-announced-ps3-3ds

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/saucy_jrpg_toushin_toshi_ii_is_getting_remade_for_the_nintendo_3ds

So what was your issue again?

Reviewtechusa explains why it is a bad idea because I am too lazy to do so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_A0OteocpI

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Very misleading thread title. When exactly did this become a sales prediction thread?

You wish, buddy.

Nintendo will ride out the Wii U till the bitter end, 2016 at least, then start fresh with a new console, winter of 2016 if the sales continue to struggle, winter of 2017 or 18 if they pick up like I believe they will.