By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii U get discontinued soon??

Mummelmann said:
Wyrdness said:
The irony here is people are arguing this point yet the U's sales in the past few weeks has been increasing, last week was a few thousand short of 360's WW sales.

Do you own a calendar? We're almost in December, every console ever released in the history of gaming gets a holiday boost. The boost is percentage-wise perfectly normal, the baseline is so low, however, that it makes a very small impact overall.

The only weird thing here is that people are using holiday boosts as the sign of the second coming. You're right though; it was only a few thousand short of the 360, that has been on the market for 8 years and has been plummeting yoy for some time. Hooray? It still managed only half of the PS3's number and the PS4 likely beat the Wii U's entire European lifetime sales in a single day and next week will see some fairly heavy Black Friday boosts for the PS3 and 360 with amazing deals at all major retailers.

Now, I'm not agreeing with the OP, discontinuing it now would be ridiculous and a proper waste. But, there is no reason to treat holiday boosts as a miracle.

Ahh I knew someone would be hurt by that post, a holiday boost among a next gen launch which people have been touting as the supposed nail in the coffin, the whole miracle notion is of your own accord  sales of the U should be going the other direction going by the notion you lot are putting forward, discontinued consoles wouldn't be doing those numbers with the competition around that's the point and main context. 360 and PS3 will be here for at least another year and a half and even with YOY numbers going down guess what has been the top seller in a number of months?

Around the Network

243k sold in the US for SM3DW in one day shows signs of things to come. Target was the only store with a nice Wii U deal on black friday and all the consoles at the one I went to were gone. I'm expecting full week 1 sales to be 800k - 1m. worldwide which would be awesome for a console with only a 4m. install base before launch. The console sales should be interesting though. If Nintendo can move 1 million in the next month and keep a decent lead over X1 and PS4 by the time DK, Mario Kart, and Smash come out, then we are going to have a true 3 way race for this gen. 3DS is the king anyways, I can't believe that it may outsell the original DS in 3 or 4 years.

Wyrdness said:
Mummelmann said:
Wyrdness said:
The irony here is people are arguing this point yet the U's sales in the past few weeks has been increasing, last week was a few thousand short of 360's WW sales.

Do you own a calendar? We're almost in December, every console ever released in the history of gaming gets a holiday boost. The boost is percentage-wise perfectly normal, the baseline is so low, however, that it makes a very small impact overall.

The only weird thing here is that people are using holiday boosts as the sign of the second coming. You're right though; it was only a few thousand short of the 360, that has been on the market for 8 years and has been plummeting yoy for some time. Hooray? It still managed only half of the PS3's number and the PS4 likely beat the Wii U's entire European lifetime sales in a single day and next week will see some fairly heavy Black Friday boosts for the PS3 and 360 with amazing deals at all major retailers.

Now, I'm not agreeing with the OP, discontinuing it now would be ridiculous and a proper waste. But, there is no reason to treat holiday boosts as a miracle.

Ahh I knew someone would be hurt by that post, a holiday boost among a next gen launch which people have been touting as the supposed nail in the coffin, the whole miracle notion is of your own accord  sales of the U should be going the other direction going by the notion you lot are putting forward. 360 and PS3 will be here for at least another year and a half and even with YOY numbers going down guess what has been the top seller in a number of months?

Yes, I have clearly stated that the Wii U should be dropping in weekly sales during the holidays against all logic and history, haven't I? I think what I have said is a steady climb towards 180-220k average weeks for December and the latter part of November with a peak week during Black Friday of about 350-400k and a real struggle to pass 6 million before year's end. You know that some people were predicting around 400-550k for last week's sales? Even the most pessimistic predictions have been too high, I'm quite frankly stunned at how slowly it's selling.

Are you suggesting that the Wii U's normal, inevitable holiday boost is proof of some sort of comeback? Actually, in your last paragraph, you kind of underline my whole point; the PS3 and 360 have been outselling the Wii U by a whole lot for the entire year and that's not a good sign.

All that aside, yes I am hurt, I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight because of you and your massive sway over my emotional condition (and incredible insight into sales trends and holiday boosts), I hope you're happy!

Mummelmann said:

Yes, I have clearly stated that the Wii U should be dropping in weekly sales during the holidays against all logic and history, haven't I? I think what I have said is a steady climb towards 180-220k average weeks for December and the latter part of November with a peak week during Black Friday of about 350-400k and a real struggle to pass 6 million before year's end. You know that some people were predicting around 400-550k for last week's sales? Even the most pessimistic predictions have been too high, I'm quite frankly stunned at how slowly it's selling.

Are you suggesting that the Wii U's normal, inevitable holiday boost is proof of some sort of comeback? Actually, in your last paragraph, you kind of underline my whole point; the PS3 and 360 have been outselling the Wii U by a whole lot for the entire year and that's not a good sign.

All that aside, yes I am hurt, I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight because of you and your massive sway over my emotional condition (and incredible insight into sales trends and holiday boosts), I hope you're happy!

Are you always on your high horse? Older consoles outselling newer consoles early on is nothing new it has been going on for decades, the previous gen in particular had this issue with the PS2 still going strong early on in the gen and the PS3 and 360 are from a gen that has much more longitivity then previous ones, they'll be here another 1 and half to 2 years easily and you using it as an anchor in your point highlights more jumping the gun, the point was if the U was going to be discontinued anytime soon you wouldn't be having boosts that bring it up to normal sales it'll still be selling the low amounts of before you however just jumped at reading sales going up and have read between lines unless you agree with the OP. Do I care about other people's prediction? F**k no so what does it have to do with me and why are you arguing against their points with me?

Weedlab said:
nope ... 2014 will be a good year for it.

Yeah and itll be a good year for cheese moons as well.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Mummelmann said:

Are you always on your high horse? Older consoles outselling newer consoles early on is nothing new it has been going on for decades, the previous gen in particular had this issue with the PS2 still going strong early on in the gen and the PS3 and 360 are from a gen that has much more longitivity then previous ones, they'll be here another 1 and half to 2 years easily and you using it as an anchor in your point highlights more jumping the gun, the point was if the U was going to be discontinued anytime soon you wouldn't be having boosts that bring it up to normal sales it'll still be selling the low amounts of before you however just jumped at reading sales going up and have read between lines unless you agree with the OP. Do I care about other people's prediction? F**k no so what does it have to do with me and why are you arguing against their points with me?

The short version; the OP is silly. Thinking that a normal holiday boost equals a comeback is equally silly.

The Wii U needs the holiday boost the most though. Get the console in peoples homes and those people talk to other people. It's a huge reason why the 1st Wii sold so well. "Hey Grandpa, want to bowl in the living room"....2 weeks later grandpa gets a Wii. I really think Nintendo underestimates how popular Wii Sports is and the Wii Sports Club game should have been released on a disc day 1. I played the trial and the motionplus, online, and HD makes the game feel much more modern while not messing with what made them $ the first time. 360 and PS3 are selling well because there are alot of good games for adults and kids that are dirt cheap.

Mummelmann said:

The short version; the OP is silly. Thinking that a normal holiday boost equals a comeback is equally silly.

Where was a come back mentioned? Again that's down to you.

no, they won't.
they've got over $10billion in cash and I think once manufacturing costs go way down on the wii-u, they'll start the profits again despite how much it may sell.
But the name 'wii-u' did a number on them. Should have called it wii 2. To many people, still to this date, they think that wii-u is just an extension of the wii, not a new console or anything.

Nintendo still has to fight that perception.

Wyrdness said:
Mummelmann said:

Where was a come back mentioned? Again that's down to you.

I assumed you were a part of this crowd; http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=166018&page=1#

If you're not, I appologize. It's just that the same argument has been used by born-again John Lucas followers.

And I feel the need to repeat; I do not agree with the OP.