By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales - Media Create,Famitsu, & dengeki: week 47 ( Nov. 18 - Nov. 24 ) Bomba everywhere!!

Kresnik said:
Incubi said:

Taiko series has been exclusive to Nintendo consoles for years and years and years. Do you think NamcoBandai ever thought: uhum! Taiko is now on wiiu so the sales will just drop dead? There was never any reason to believe something like this could happen. Releasing it on Playstation platforms wont do squat. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/50865/taiko-no-tatsujin-portable-dx/

[NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Touch de Dokodon {2007.07.26} - 89.158 / 641.229

[NDS] Metcha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: {2008.04.24} - 60.250 / 693.164

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii {2008.12.11} - 114.610 / 658.783

[NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Yokai Daikessen!!  {2010.07.01} - 65.214 / 393.279

[PSP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable DX {2011.07.14} - 110.242 / 334.865

[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi {2012.07.12} - 63.388 / 514.484

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Chogouka-Ban {2012.11.29} - 102.437 / 577.721

[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! {2013.11.21} - 17.518 / NEW

Okey. So there was one PSP game:p

Point is: It has historically allways done well on Nintendo platforms. No reason for NB to think that it would just magically stop selling by bringing it to WiiU. Obviously it did.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Spilo said:
Can someone explain what the sold out thing means? :)

How much of the first shipment to retailers was sold.

Red = best.

Orange = good.

Yellow = average.

Greeny-yellow (i.e. One Piece this week) = bad.

Pure green (i.e. Taiko this week) = terrible.

Well red is pretty much undershipped isn't it ? Doesn't sound that good to me.

Oh my god, what a scary scene will be lived during Nintendo's investor roundtable next year. I fear for Iwata's safety at that time. He committed himself to many impossible goals. He basically lied and played with people's money. Just terrible.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Rogerioandrade said:
pezus said:
the_dengle said:
pezus said:

You're not seeing anything that the PS3 didn't have? Uhm, how about a game you just mentioned...KH3. And PS3 didn't launch with strong Japanese franchises, but PS4 will. This is basically what everyone against the PS4 said about Western sales as well. It has no big games, who will buy it over PS360 etc. First of all, the system will sell on its own merits, second of all it is way cheaper than PS3 was, and lastly it has bigger games coming out sooner. You're forgetting that MS and Nintendo stole much of Sony's potential last gen in Japan (MS by stealing JRPGs early on and Nintendo by selling well).

Wii U launched with Monster Hunter, Mario, and Dragon Quest, and was cheaper than the PS4. What makes the PS4 special?

WiiU was also cheaper than PS4 in the west and launched with a bigger library, including 2D Mario. PS4 didn't launch with any big or huge system selling exclusive franchise. We know how that turned out.

Ask the consumers. Like I said, PS4 will sell on its own merits as well as for the guarantee of future great 3rd party titles like KH, FF and basically everything else (that Nintendo hasn't made or paid for).

Still the WiiU sold more than 3 million worlwide in just one month. The real problem started after the holidays.

PS4 in now riding the waves of fans hype and CoD players in the West. How long this hype will last? Will it be able to bring new consumers to the market?

CoD doesn´t drive console sales in Japan as it does in the west, you know, and FF is a fading trade even in Japan.

I honestly don't see PS4 or XboxOne having the same problem that the Wii-u did. PS4 looks like it could easily do 5-6 million by March, and XboxOne should be able to easily do 3-4 Million, which would be better than what Wii-u did in that time frame. 

Wii-u isnt dead, but it's going to struggle to do 30 million. I always said this would be its problem, 1 year too late a launch, too weak specs when compared to 7th gen, poor software support, poor 3rd support, Years PR all about next gen consoles. It was inevitable.

Nintendo can bring it back, but that means some massive software support, or spending money on 3rd parties like Sony/MS will do in the next two/three years. I don't mean, lets do another Donkey Kong or another Mario.. they need games that are new or are old franchises brought back. I really believe this is what Sony are doing, and I think it will work very well for them... but we shall see, many predicted that the PS3 wouldnt survive, and look at how well it's currently doing.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Incubi said:

[NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Yokai Daikessen!!  {2010.07.01} - 65.214 / 393.279

Point is: It has historically allways done well on Nintendo platforms. No reason for NB to think that it would just magically stop selling by bringing it to WiiU. Obviously it did.

It started its console life with Sony though.  And after being given to Nintendo what seemed exclusively, upon returning to Sony consoles performed perfectly reasonably.

I agree with you it has always done well on Nintendo consoles.  But if you look at those consoles, those have also always been the consoles dominating the market.  DS -> Wii -> 3DS.  Just like it started life on PS2 which was the console dominating the market.

Point being: It sells well on big install bases, not Nintendo/Sony consoles.  So there was plenty of reason to swerve the Wii-U version this year and wait for the console to gain some more ground in Japan.  Stick another version 3DS for this year or just stick to the iOS/Android versions for the time being.

It'll still have some legs on Wii-U, but Wii-U was a mistake (for the time being, at least) that Namco should've seen coming.

edit: For more evidence of this, check Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2.  Up until that point, the series had been selling extremely well on the PS2, so we could say that "historically it has always done well on Sony consoles".  But the PSP was barely alive in Japan in 2006 so Taiko didn't sell well.  Exactly the same situation here with Wii-U in 2013.

Around the Network
pezus said:

Actually, it has been the case for Sony all year now, and 3rd party partners vary in their secrecy. Like I already said, PS4 is launching with 2 more big exclusives than PS3 did in Japan (Yakuza and DW). MGS will probably come out in 2014 as well.

Persona 4 came out on PS2. And let's be honest, Persona isn't that big. Did that stop PS2 from dying and PS3 from taking over as the 3rd party platform of choice?

To add insult to injury on top of what Kowen already said, neither Yakuza or Dynasty Warriors are exclusives.  DW is a late port and Yakuza is multiplat with PS3.

Barozi said:
Kresnik said:
Spilo said:
Can someone explain what the sold out thing means? :)

How much of the first shipment to retailers was sold.

Red = best.

Orange = good.

Yellow = average.

Greeny-yellow (i.e. One Piece this week) = bad.

Pure green (i.e. Taiko this week) = terrible.

Well red is pretty much undershipped isn't it ? Doesn't sound that good to me.

No, red means between 80 and 100% of the shipment sold. Given the traditional 2nd week drop, it leaves a few days for the publisher to reprint.

Kresnik said:
Incubi said:

It started its console life with Sony though.  And after being given to Nintendo what seemed exclusively, upon returning to Sony consoles performed perfectly reasonably.

I agree with you it has always done well on Nintendo consoles.  But if you look at those consoles, those have also always been the consoles dominating the market.  DS -> Wii -> 3DS.  Just like it started life on PS2 which was the console dominating the market.

Point being: It sells well on big install bases, not Nintendo/Sony consoles.  So there was plenty of reason to swerve the Wii-U version this year and wait for the console to gain some more ground in Japan.  Stick another version 3DS for this year or just stick to the iOS/Android versions for the time being.

It'll still have some legs on Wii-U, but Wii-U was a mistake (for the time being, at least) that Namco should've seen coming.

edit: For more evidence of this, check Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2.  Up until that point, the series had been selling extremely well on the PS2, so we could say that "historically it has always done well on Sony consoles".  But the PSP was barely alive in Japan in 2006 so Taiko didn't sell well.  Exactly the same situation here with Wii-U in 2013.

I see. It's doing well on nice install bases on opening week, but poorly on small installbases. It's historically a game that sell good, but it dont do much to drive install base for any console. Bummer. 

Industry crash incoming, called it!

300k for LR is better than I thought. Still not good.
3D Mario under 100k. O_O

Vita TV and Wii U forever together in depths.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.