By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales - Media Create,Famitsu, & dengeki: week 47 ( Nov. 18 - Nov. 24 ) Bomba everywhere!!

kowenicki said:
Not being funny but did people actually expect Vita TV to be massive?

Seriously? If it had been a Nintendo device it would have been ridiculed roundly here.

PS4 will clean up in home console sales though.... but the total home console sales wont match home console sales of this gen. No chance, nowhere near. Shrinking target gaming population that has a desire for handhelds... thats just how it is.

Yeah I can see something like

3DS - 25 million

Vita - 9 million

PS4 - 7.5 million

Wii U - 3 million 

In Japan this gen. Everything will be down from the previous gen. 

Also get ready for it -- Dragon Quest XI will be on the 3DS, but mobile iOS/Android, too (which will send console warriors into tears). 

Around the Network

Anyway, my comments: Ho-lee crap. What a terrible, terrible, terrible week.

Hardware wise, everything is struggling. I'd have thought the 3DS holiday boost would've kicked in by now. I'd have thought the Vita would hold on better than that (though handheld is okay; VitaTV is abysmal). I'd have thought Mario + Taiko would've done more for Wii-U. Just terrible all round.

Software wise, bombs everywhere. Terrible, but kind of expected from Lightning. Milked more than anyone cared. At least they didn't massively overship this time; retailers learnt their lesson. I'll still be buying it.

Terrible from Mario. I know, it'll have legs, yada yada. But I seriously wasn't expecting sub 100k, even if only barely on one of the trackers. This is the point where I'm beginning to believe there are serious flaws in Wii-U's design that'll keep it from ever reaching any kind of large appeal.

One Piece... meh. Better than COMG: worse than I expected. About on par with Unlimited Cruise's opening, which I suppose should be expected. I was just expecting something more in-line with Romance Dawn's opening, given that it is MonsterHunterPiece after all. Horribly overshipped as well.

God Eater, massive drop. Expected I suppose. At least it passed 300k which is nice.

And Taiko... good heavens, Taiko. I think Wii-U at this point in its life was a massive mistake. Wait a year or two to see where the installbase goes and stick it on Wii again in the meantime. Or PS3. Or make another 3DS version. But Wii-U was not a good choice.

Also Atelier. It seems Vita owners are more interested in straight ports of Totori & Meruru than they are remakes of Rorona. Poor girl! They've really overdone it with this series in the past few years though.

kowenicki said:
Not being funny but did people actually expect Vita TV to be massive?

Seriously? If it had been a Nintendo device it would have been ridiculed roundly here.

Nearly every single comment I've seen about it has been "it's not a device aimed at the Japanese market".

But still, I think people expected more than 7k second week.

To be honest I think the Japanese market is in so much trouble that Nintendo + Sony would have to team up in some way to rescue it. It's really bad right now.

Rogerioandrade said:
colafitte said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Still the WiiU sold more than 3 million worlwide in just one month. The real problem started after the holidays.

PS4 in now riding the waves of fans hype and CoD players in the West. How long this hype will last? Will it be able to bring new consumers to the market?

CoD doesn´t drive console sales in Japan as it does in the west, you know, and FF is a fading trade even in Japan.

Don't worry about that... PS4 have the best 1st year since launch ever for a console....In just the first half PS4 have Infamous SS, DriveClub, Destiny and Watch Dogs. Wii U didn't have nothing similar that amount ...

Yep. Those games are appealing to western PS fans, but are they  appealing to Japanese audiences ? I fear not.

No, they don't but you were talking about the hype NOW in the west and asking how long will last, and my quote was referring to that.

Around the Network

Seriously a Bomba week during the holiday season ? When do numbers start to get high ?

SnowPrince said:
Seriously a Bomba week during the holiday season ? When do numbers start to get high ?

Holiday season doesn't start in Japan until mid december if i remember correctly, or it could be the end of december as they seem to only celebrate the new year. There is no xmas there.

It's quite late today.

Anyway, all those bomba on Nintendo systems are hilarious. Taiko even has the full green bar, I had never seen that XD One Piece is quite the disaster too, I bet NamcoBandai has some regrets to have allowed this exclusivity. Hopefully for them they can port on Vita/PS3 next year where the One Piece fan are.

Quite happy that LR could achieve 300K. God Eater 2 seems on good track as well. New Rorona performs in line with the + series I guess, I hoped higher but it was tricky on LR week.

Ouch @VitaTV, looks like it will become the PSPGo of Vita...

pezus said:
leyendax69 said:
pezus said:
Japan console gaming is waiting for its saviour.

Who? Xbox one?:P

I think we all know the answer

SONY will save the gaming industry.
The PS4 will be the saviour of the consoles just like the Vita saved the handhelds.

ryuzaki57 said:
It's quite late today.

Anyway, all those bomba on Nintendo systems are hilarious. Taiko even has the full green bar, I had never seen that XD One Piece is quite the disaster too, I bet NamcoBandai has some regrets to have allowed this exclusivity. Hopefully for them they can port on Vita/PS3 next year where the One Piece fan are.

Quite happy that LR could achieve 300K. God Eater 2 seems on good track as well. New Rorona performs in line with the + series I guess, I hoped higher but it was tricky on LR week.

Ouch @VitaTV, looks like it will become the PSPGo of Vita...

Taiko series has been exclusive to Nintendo consoles for years and years and years. Do you think NamcoBandai ever thought: uhum! Taiko is now on wiiu so the sales will just drop dead? There was never any reason to believe something like this could happen. Releasing it on Playstation platforms wont do squat.