By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales - Media Create,Famitsu, & dengeki: week 47 ( Nov. 18 - Nov. 24 ) Bomba everywhere!!

Mario sales disappoint and Lightning's wardrobe helps it push good sales. All in all things looking pretty grim.

Around the Network
pezus said:
the_dengle said:
pezus said:

You're not seeing anything that the PS3 didn't have? Uhm, how about a game you just mentioned...KH3. And PS3 didn't launch with strong Japanese franchises, but PS4 will. This is basically what everyone against the PS4 said about Western sales as well. It has no big games, who will buy it over PS360 etc. First of all, the system will sell on its own merits, second of all it is way cheaper than PS3 was, and lastly it has bigger games coming out sooner. You're forgetting that MS and Nintendo stole much of Sony's potential last gen in Japan (MS by stealing JRPGs early on and Nintendo by selling well).

Wii U launched with Monster Hunter, Mario, and Dragon Quest, and was cheaper than the PS4. What makes the PS4 special?

WiiU was also cheaper than PS4 in the west and launched with a bigger library, including 2D Mario. PS4 didn't launch with any big or huge system selling exclusive franchise. We know how that turned out.

Ask the consumers. Like I said, PS4 will sell on its own merits as well as for the guarantee of future great 3rd party titles like KH, FF and basically everything else (that Nintendo hasn't made or paid for).

Still the WiiU sold more than 3 million worlwide in just one month. The real problem started after the holidays.

PS4 in now riding the waves of fans hype and CoD players in the West. How long this hype will last? Will it be able to bring new consumers to the market?

CoD doesn´t drive console sales in Japan as it does in the west, you know, and FF is a fading trade even in Japan.

wow lots of terrible numbers and Mario really didn't move much hardware and software-wise it did even worse than most people predicted after the final COMG numbers.

Not quite sure but I think Vita TV is still doing a bit better than PSPGo.

pezus said:
Rogerioandrade said:
colafitte said:
pezus said:
leyendax69 said:
pezus said:
Japan console gaming is waiting for its saviour.

Who? Xbox one?:P

I think we all know the answer

You really think the ps4 will be the saviour??? (honest question), I'm very pessimistic with home consoles in Japan. I'm afraid it won't reach even ps3 levels lifetime....

Don´t be. It probably won´t. No new console matched their predecessors launch sales in Japan: 3ds, Vita, WiiU etc.

What do they all have in common? The same could be said about WORLDWIDE sales.

Now what about the PS4 vs. PS3? 

I said IN JAPAN. We still don´t have PS4 launch sales numbers for Japan, right ?

Rogerioandrade said:
pezus said:
the_dengle said:
pezus said:

You're not seeing anything that the PS3 didn't have? Uhm, how about a game you just mentioned...KH3. And PS3 didn't launch with strong Japanese franchises, but PS4 will. This is basically what everyone against the PS4 said about Western sales as well. It has no big games, who will buy it over PS360 etc. First of all, the system will sell on its own merits, second of all it is way cheaper than PS3 was, and lastly it has bigger games coming out sooner. You're forgetting that MS and Nintendo stole much of Sony's potential last gen in Japan (MS by stealing JRPGs early on and Nintendo by selling well).

Wii U launched with Monster Hunter, Mario, and Dragon Quest, and was cheaper than the PS4. What makes the PS4 special?

WiiU was also cheaper than PS4 in the west and launched with a bigger library, including 2D Mario. PS4 didn't launch with any big or huge system selling exclusive franchise. We know how that turned out.

Ask the consumers. Like I said, PS4 will sell on its own merits as well as for the guarantee of future great 3rd party titles like KH, FF and basically everything else (that Nintendo hasn't made or paid for).

Still the WiiU sold more than 3 million worlwide in just one month. The real problem started after the holidays.

PS4 in now riding the waves of fans hype and CoD players in the West. How long this hype will last? Will it be able to bring new consumers to the market?

CoD doesn´t drive console sales in Japan as it does in the west, you know, and FF is a fading trade even in Japan.

Don't worry about that... PS4 have the best 1st year since launch ever for a console....In just the first half PS4 have Infamous SS, DriveClub, Destiny and Watch Dogs. Wii U didn't have nothing similar that amount ...

Around the Network
colafitte said:
Rogerioandrade said:
pezus said:
the_dengle said:
pezus said:

Don't worry about that... PS4 have the best 1st year since launch ever for a console....In just the first half PS4 have Infamous SS, DriveClub, Destiny and Watch Dogs. Wii U didn't have nothing similar that amount ...

Yep. Those games are appealing to western PS fans, but are they  appealing to Japanese audiences ? I fear not.

the_dengle said:
pezus said:

At the risk of getting off-topic, is it still okay to use these words in the same sentence?

I think having someone other than Toriyama at the helm for the change highly increases the chances that we'll be able to use those words again.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 sells well out of the gate initially, like I said I think "you can't have this" is a funny psychological tool to some consumers, I think some Japanese gamers will latch onto that and it creates a kind of artificial demand early on by having the Japanese launch last when Japan is generally used to getting things first.

That said, I just don't see the content long term. Japanese devs can barely make PS3 level HD games and release them on time/budget ... PS4 is going to be even more difficult for many of them.

It'll get the staple FF/Kingdom Hearts/MGS/Resi Evil franchises, but even these will probably take a while to finish up and 90%+ of the content on the PS4/XB1 is going to be Western games. I just think that's a reality of the situation.

It's not 1999 any more, even though it's a nice pipe dream to entertain. Sony has also sold out their own Japanese studios too, there's the odd game that comes from Japan, but overwhelmingly its clear that their main PS3/PS4 development has shifted to Western studios and Western tastes. 

pezus said:
Rogerioandrade said:
pezus said:

What do they all have in common? The same could be said about WORLDWIDE sales.

Now what about the PS4 vs. PS3? 

I said IN JAPAN. We still don´t have PS4 launch sales numbers for Japan, right ?

You missed my point.

PSVita, WiiU and 3DS have this in common: They are all considerably less popular than their predecessors worldwide (not considerably in 3DS case, because Nintendo managed to turn it around). 

PS4 vs. PS3?? PS4 FAR outdid anything PS3 has ever done. It will almost certainly be this generation's leader and it will be more popular than PS3. The right question is: Why would it be any different in Japan?

No, you missed the point. We´re talking about Japan market here, not worldwide. 

The Ps4 outdid what PS3 has ever done... in the US. We still can´t be certain of what it will do in Japan in February.

(as a post scriptum, I do think that PS4 will do better than WiiU in Japan, but I don´t believe it will match the PS3 sucess there, Japan has been losing interest in home consoles for a long time and will continue to do so)

I actually find those FF sales ok, it could've been worse, and with all the damage the XIII has taken, I guess it's ok.

Kind of the same with SM3D World, I would've liked a bigger opening, and a higher boost on the HW. It's depressing, but WiiU is not a relevant console atm, and we have been seeing how the game got little attention in COMG, and other reports, so what were we really expecting? Sell-through was kind of ok, taking into account the first day report. I reckon next week will be more important, because I am expecting some legs, a lot of people are, but if it doesn't hold well, ....well....

One Piece, well it's ok, wondering if they'll sell the shipment during the holidays.

Pokemon got to 3m on MC, impressive.

VitaTV, dropped harder than PSPGo.

Taiko, :/ I do hope it shows some legs.