By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One TV integration suffers noticeable judder in UK

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter told us the following:

"Assuming the reports are true, this represents a significant issue Microsoft has to address. Displaying 50Hz video at 60Hz means that every sixth frame will be a duplicate, resulting in noticeable judder on a lot of material - scrolling text on news channels, fast pans in TV and movies, and the left to right sweep of the camera in football matches."

So, what can Microsoft do about this? According to Leadbetter, the company faces a headache combating the issue.

"There are no easy solutions in this scenario - the kind of frame-rate upscaling required to eliminate the judder at 60Hz would probably compromise image quality," he said.

"The simpler solution would be to lock the user interface to 50Hz when TV elements are on-screen, switching back to 60Hz for gameplay - though this wouldn't be quite as seamless an experience as Microsoft originally envisaged."

Microsoft has made much of the Xbox One as an all-encompassing multimedia device, and pointed to its HDMI-in functionality as a point of difference between its console and rival PlayStation 4. Xbox One owners can use the "Snap" feature to watch TV while gaming on the same screen.

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk

Seems like a oversight that won't be easy to fix.

Has any of our UK gamers noticed this?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

not only in UK, i think it is the whole EU, right?

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

kowenicki said:
I agree.

I noticed this.

But no biggie at this stage, both consoles have features that aren't there or don't work properly yet. It will be fixed.

At least in this case its a feature that simply needs fixing, rather than is mysteriously absent.

But you told me everything looks amazing like a dream .

Gehirnkrampf said:
not only in UK, i think it is the whole EU, right?

I suppose so, but "Eurogamer" is not very very European in covering aspects like that.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

That's a pretty weird issue to have, and a fairly significant oversight that has caused an issue that not only won't be easy to fix but will compromise the feature even if they fix it.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

I'm sure they'll fix it, but for me to want the TV features it needs actual integration, ie proper control of the tv (sky box)

I haven't actually noticed anything. Ive watched probably 6-8 hours of TV through the Xbox One since its release. I have Sky HD Box. My wife and kids have probably watched even more than me. Both recorded programs and Live F1.

If its there I actually haven't noticed. So this is no deal to me whatsoever.

Hope for those who do have a small launch issue will get a fix soon.

Gotta love those launches eh?

At least this is no RROD. LOL.

Cheers Microsoft for an awesome launch. I love to game again. Yay.

That doesn´t sound to good, question is if it can be fixed easily with a software update? I just get the feeling both MS and Sony are so unprepaired with their respecive consoles this time around.

Whats worse is if you do put your TV through X1, you HAVE to turn X1 on to watch TV, which would rule it out from ever being used in our house.

Might have used it to have football scores in the corner while gaming, but not if i have to mess about with the HDMI wires each time.

its not a big deal, watching tv is more of an add on if anything

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...