By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are there no FPS's on the 3DS?

Nem said:
ArtofAngels said:
Nem said:

Erm... im gonna go on a tangent here... but maaaybe its cause theres no second analog stick.

Theres the CPP but only a small part of the userbase has it.

What the above poster said makes sense aswell. Western developers dont care about portable consoles anymore.

That's hardly a reason when you consider DS had FPS's and NO analog sticks, did you not read my post?

Yeah but they are not very good. When you dont have the controls for it, the publishers are reluctant to risk investing on the platform.

My point was 3DS does have the controls for it.

Around the Network

I guess the big draw in FPS games these days is the online multiplayer and, despite being quite capable in games like Mario Kart 7, it would drop the ball in the FPS department. Even Resistance on Vita was shitty online and the campaign was subpar. An FPS on 3DS by todays standards would be considered garbage.

ArtofAngels said:
Kongfucius said:
I'd imagine that it's because FPSs are a very western focused genre and they virtually all come from there and most western devs and publishers are much less supportive of handhelds. Power may have something to do with it as well. If you really want one you're best hope is probably for another metroid hunters (other than that, did the DS have any other FPSs?)

If power had anything to do with it then I guess every FPS on the 64/PS2 never existed.

It's all relative when you're talking about the processing power of older hardware - at the time those reasonably powerful gaming machines able to support the sort of games devs wanted to make and that publishers want to release and that customers wanted to buy. Though they may not be in direct competition, the 3DS is much less powerful than even PS360 and as the genre has expanded in scope, so devs have required more powerful hardware. This is why PCs had larger player counts per match in online Battlefield compared to the PS360 versions. Of course, that dosen't actually stop there being FPS on 3DS, it isn't a technical impossibility, but it would be a significant retrograde step which appeals less to consumers who would rather have those experiences on a home console, leading to lower potential sales which makes devs+pubs more reluctant to put them out in the first place

d21lewis said:
I guess the big draw in FPS games these days is the online multiplayer and, despite being quite capable in games like Mario Kart 7, it would drop the ball in the FPS department. Even Resistance on Vita was shitty online and the campaign was subpar. An FPS on 3DS by todays standards would be considered garbage.

killzone for vita has quite good MP not sure how a 3ds MP would work, probably better than DS

oniyide said:
d21lewis said:

killzone for vita has quite good MP not sure how a 3ds MP would work, probably better than DS

I still haven't bought it yet.  :(

Resistance was horrible, though.  In all honesty, I liked the single player campaign a lot--for a portable--but even I could tell it was behind the times.  I have heard great things about Killzone on the Vita so I'll get my hands on that when there's a lull in my portable gaming.  The problem with that is, whenever I play online, I'll be home with my own Wi-Fi.  If I'm home with my Wi-Fi, I'm home with my PS3/360/Wii U!  I'd just play one of those.

The closest I've played on 3DS was the online in Kid Icarus Uprising and I hated that experience, too. 

Around the Network

Two very big reasons.

1. There is not second analog stick which is now the standard.
2. Big western devs are really the only ones who make them and they won't go near Nintendo systems.

However, there is supposed to be one in development by renegade kid.

ganoncrotch said:
brendude13 said:
No market and no second analogue stick.

how do you think people played doom on the Snes? surely they just all sat around waiting for the dream cast to launch before releasing the first console FPS ever?

Doom didn't have vertical aiming...no need of an analog stick then.

ArtofAngels said:
I'd like to add that playing a FPS in 3D would be great, and as for many not having the Circle Pad Pro, I disagree.

Every one of my friends with a 3DS already has a circle pad pro from either Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Kingdom Hearts. Plus people can pick one up if they want the FPS or they could be bundled by a retailer.

Controlling is not the issue here, there is no issue, in fact the only issue is lack of 3DS FPS's.

They must keeping all of them in Australia. For anecdote, I know about 25 friends that have 3DSs, and only one friend has it because MonHun. The rest do not know it exists. I'd probably get one, but I know have a reason to yet.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

d21lewis said:
oniyide said:
d21lewis said:

I still haven't bought it yet.  :(

Resistance was horrible, though.  In all honesty, I liked the single player campaign a lot--for a portable--but even I could tell it was behind the times.  I have heard great things about Killzone on the Vita so I'll get my hands on that when there's a lull in my portable gaming.  The problem with that is, whenever I play online, I'll be home with my own Wi-Fi.  If I'm home with my Wi-Fi, I'm home with my PS3/360/Wii U!  I'd just play one of those.

The closest I've played on 3DS was the online in Kid Icarus Uprising and I hated that experience, too. 

alot of people feel the way you do which is why we dont see alot of FPSs on portable. Sometimes im on my college campus and use their wifi and fortuanatly for KZ on Vita it is diffterent enough from the console KZ that the online could stand on its own. It doesnt feel like a mini version of the console online. otherwise i would probably never play it.

ganoncrotch said:
brendude13 said:

They wouldn't have to wait around if there were other platforms where the game would be both viable and successful.

what other mobile platform is there with twin sticks then which has the same install base as the 3ds?

Cheap shot.

Install base doesn't always guarantee software sales. If you think a multiplatform FPS would sell better on the 3DS than the Vita, then I don't know what to say.