By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are there no FPS's on the 3DS?

ArtofAngels said:
Nem said:

Yeah but they are not very good. When you dont have the controls for it, the publishers are reluctant to risk investing on the platform.

My point was 3DS does have the controls for it.

My point was that it doesnt. But were gonna have to agree to disagree i suppose. :)

Around the Network

The 3DS is still young. Give it a bit more time.

I guess it's because theres no second analogue stick. I don't why Nintendo did that. You would think they would learn from the PSP.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

ArtofAngels said:
SxyxS said:
ArtofAngels said:
SxyxS said:
three simple answers.

1)no 3rd party success=fps are expensive,3rd parties don't succeed on nintendo systems(especially the blockbusters like cod,madden,fifa etc).Therefore-if nintendo does not make fps noone will(playing metroid with pen
was no fun either
2)no second analog stick=requires new adjustment of controls&balancing.Mechanics have to be modified =cheap port impossible
3)nintendo gamers in general are not interessted in playing always the same fps.they are interessted in playing
Always the same marios instead.

People are very quick to generalize what a Nintendo gamer is, also culture for FPS's is higher now than it was during the DS era, so it makes more sense for there to be one on the 3DS now than the DS then.

Also Vita is a handheld with a few FPS's and their user base is significantly smaller, almost everyone with a Vita also has a 3DS.

I'm not asking why there isn't a truck load of FPS's on the 3DS. That's obvious enough. I'm asking why the hell there isn't even ONE.

the reason why there isn't even one= there is no demand.No demand= no production=0 supply.

And about generalising:We are here at vg chartz ,you can simply cheque the sales numbers and you will see that i'm 90% not wrong.But it seems that there exist a political correct law that even generalisation is wrong even when numbers prove it to be right.

btw-i would not call that culture in terms of fps.It's like calling.

In most terms it is pure pure primitive Nitzsche-Rambo-Übermensch-supremaciy.Except Half Life,Metroid(not DS) and Deus Ex there is less than a handfull that add some culture to this genre(xiii,stranger).Even alternative scenarios(resistence) are rare.

How can you say there is no market for 3DS when no one has even tried it? There's no evidence to even point to it.

And anyway, I and a lot of my friends plus a few users in here would love a 3DS FPS. So I have anecdotal evidence in my mind against zero evidence of the contrary.

People need to stop treating the 3DS market as exactly the same as the DS. This is not true as DS owners are older now.

How can i?

Either i used my plastic glasbowl and took a look into future or-

i am pretty sure that there are several possibilities like opinion polls and surveys among 3ds owners to find out wether there is demand or not.If you combine Nintendos genre sales history + the fact that non nintendo games hardly sell and even top 3rd party ubi soft don't dare to make fps+ the failure of cod.

I am 100% sure if you have a valid survey prove that a fps will succeed you will find a company immediately to produce fps.There are so many developers out there they would code anything if they know they can succeed.DS owners are older now but 97% are still not interessted in fps.

The fact that not even Activision is cramming a COD on it, tells you all you need to know

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
I guess it's because theres no second analogue stick. I don't why Nintendo did that. You would think they would learn from the PSP.

DS had no sticks and had quite a few FPS. Controls aren't the problem, as someone else already mentioned before. In fact, if anything, controls are the main reason anyone would put a FPS on 3DS: aiming with the touchscreen is, IMO, better than any other method other than Mouse+Keyboard.

oniyide said:
The fact that not even Activision is cramming a COD on it, tells you all you need to know

The first COD game on DS wasn't released until 2007. Maybe next year or the year after, they'll start up again on 3DS.

Though probably not, since they're not even trying on Vita, which should be free.

With Call of Duty now on smartphones, I imagine that's where it'll stay.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

brendude13 said:
ganoncrotch said:
brendude13 said:

They wouldn't have to wait around if there were other platforms where the game would be both viable and successful.

what other mobile platform is there with twin sticks then which has the same install base as the 3ds?

Cheap shot.

Install base doesn't always guarantee software sales. If you think a multiplatform FPS would sell better on the 3DS than the Vita, then I don't know what to say.

even the cheap ports of the last gen call of duty games on the 66/33mhz power house that is the DS outsold the relatively high budget Call of duty declassified, when there is a massive install base to the point where 1 in every 40 people buys your game it becomes a million compared to 1 in every 5 having to buy it then it does become a much better prospect to put your games there.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7609/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/ 1.01m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/23989/call-of-duty-world-at-war/ .85m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/46435/call-of-duty-black-ops/ .47m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/37149/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-mobilized/ .39m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/64304/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-defiance/ .20m

just in terms of other Fps on the system you got

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/1341/metroid-prime-hunters/ .73m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/5160/goldeneye-rogue-agent/ .11m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70750/goldeneye-007-2010/ .11m

So yeah it's not as tho there isn't potential in the DS install base to sell some fps, and that is a system with no analogue sticks, just the dpad and a touch screen. When you also consider that there was such a spread of different types of Fps on the DS and they still managed to do decent numbers, a single fps coming to the 3ds would be the only game in the genre so anyone who wanted fps action would have just that as their choice.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

SxyxS said:
ArtofAngels said:
SxyxS said:
ArtofAngels said:
SxyxS said:
three simple answers.

1)no 3rd party success=fps are expensive,3rd parties don't succeed on nintendo systems(especially the blockbusters like cod,madden,fifa etc).Therefore-if nintendo does not make fps noone will(playing metroid with pen
was no fun either
2)no second analog stick=requires new adjustment of controls&balancing.Mechanics have to be modified =cheap port impossible
3)nintendo gamers in general are not interessted in playing always the same fps.they are interessted in playing
Always the same marios instead.

People are very quick to generalize what a Nintendo gamer is, also culture for FPS's is higher now than it was during the DS era, so it makes more sense for there to be one on the 3DS now than the DS then.

Also Vita is a handheld with a few FPS's and their user base is significantly smaller, almost everyone with a Vita also has a 3DS.

I'm not asking why there isn't a truck load of FPS's on the 3DS. That's obvious enough. I'm asking why the hell there isn't even ONE.

the reason why there isn't even one= there is no demand.No demand= no production=0 supply.

And about generalising:We are here at vg chartz ,you can simply cheque the sales numbers and you will see that i'm 90% not wrong.But it seems that there exist a political correct law that even generalisation is wrong even when numbers prove it to be right.

btw-i would not call that culture in terms of fps.It's like calling.

In most terms it is pure pure primitive Nitzsche-Rambo-Übermensch-supremaciy.Except Half Life,Metroid(not DS) and Deus Ex there is less than a handfull that add some culture to this genre(xiii,stranger).Even alternative scenarios(resistence) are rare.

How can you say there is no market for 3DS when no one has even tried it? There's no evidence to even point to it.

And anyway, I and a lot of my friends plus a few users in here would love a 3DS FPS. So I have anecdotal evidence in my mind against zero evidence of the contrary.

People need to stop treating the 3DS market as exactly the same as the DS. This is not true as DS owners are older now.

How can i?

Either i used my plastic glasbowl and took a look into future or-

i am pretty sure that there are several possibilities like opinion polls and surveys among 3ds owners to find out wether there is demand or not.If you combine Nintendos genre sales history + the fact that non nintendo games hardly sell and even top 3rd party ubi soft don't dare to make fps+ the failure of cod.

I am 100% sure if you have a valid survey prove that a fps will succeed you will find a company immediately to produce fps.There are so many developers out there they would code anything if they know they can succeed.DS owners are older now but 97% are still not interessted in fps.

valid surveys? or info pulled from thin air? mind providing a link to where these surveys happen? wouldn't mind taking part as part of the 3ds market who enjoyed the DS fps offerings.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive