By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are there no FPS's on the 3DS?

I only had that metroid demo, was actually fucking awesome, controls were the tits

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

the nipples actually cuz you play with your THUMBS

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

areason said:
No stick to control the camera and it doesn't need it at all.

Huh?

CPP.

Probably because FPS do not sell well on portable consoles......
DS had a couple of FPS games, like Call of Duty, and it seems that they sold poorly (maybe one or two exceptions).

By the way, actually THERE ARE FPS´s for Nintendo 3DS, but they´re not good:

Heavy Fire
Mad Dog Mcgree

Personally, I really don´t care. There´s such variety on 3ds library that FPS´s are not missed

ArtofAngels said:
SxyxS said:
three simple answers.

1)no 3rd party success=fps are expensive,3rd parties don't succeed on nintendo systems(especially the blockbusters like cod,madden,fifa etc).Therefore-if nintendo does not make fps noone will(playing metroid with pen
was no fun either
2)no second analog stick=requires new adjustment of controls&balancing.Mechanics have to be modified =cheap port impossible
3)nintendo gamers in general are not interessted in playing always the same fps.they are interessted in playing
Always the same marios instead.

People are very quick to generalize what a Nintendo gamer is, also culture for FPS's is higher now than it was during the DS era, so it makes more sense for there to be one on the 3DS now than the DS then.

Also Vita is a handheld with a few FPS's and their user base is significantly smaller, almost everyone with a Vita also has a 3DS.

I'm not asking why there isn't a truck load of FPS's on the 3DS. That's obvious enough. I'm asking why the hell there isn't even ONE.

the reason why there isn't even one= there is no demand.No demand= no production=0 supply.

And about generalising:We are here at vg chartz ,you can simply cheque the sales numbers and you will see that i'm 90% not wrong.But it seems that there exist a political correct law that even generalisation is wrong even when numbers prove it to be right.

btw-i would not call that culture in terms of fps.It's like calling.

In most terms it is pure pure primitive Nitzsche-Rambo-Übermensch-supremaciy.Except Half Life,Metroid(not DS) and Deus Ex there is less than a handfull that add some culture to this genre(xiii,stranger).Even alternative scenarios(resistence) are rare.

Around the Network
ArtofAngels said:
areason said:

Huh?

CPP.

Dual analgos, you use the circle thing to move around. 

SxyxS said:
ArtofAngels said:
SxyxS said:
three simple answers.

1)no 3rd party success=fps are expensive,3rd parties don't succeed on nintendo systems(especially the blockbusters like cod,madden,fifa etc).Therefore-if nintendo does not make fps noone will(playing metroid with pen
was no fun either
2)no second analog stick=requires new adjustment of controls&balancing.Mechanics have to be modified =cheap port impossible
3)nintendo gamers in general are not interessted in playing always the same fps.they are interessted in playing
Always the same marios instead.

People are very quick to generalize what a Nintendo gamer is, also culture for FPS's is higher now than it was during the DS era, so it makes more sense for there to be one on the 3DS now than the DS then.

Also Vita is a handheld with a few FPS's and their user base is significantly smaller, almost everyone with a Vita also has a 3DS.

I'm not asking why there isn't a truck load of FPS's on the 3DS. That's obvious enough. I'm asking why the hell there isn't even ONE.

the reason why there isn't even one= there is no demand.No demand= no production=0 supply.

And about generalising:We are here at vg chartz ,you can simply cheque the sales numbers and you will see that i'm 90% not wrong.But it seems that there exist a political correct law that even generalisation is wrong even when numbers prove it to be right.

btw-i would not call that culture in terms of fps.It's like calling.

In most terms it is pure pure primitive Nitzsche-Rambo-Übermensch-supremaciy.Except Half Life,Metroid(not DS) and Deus Ex there is less than a handfull that add some culture to this genre(xiii,stranger).Even alternative scenarios(resistence) are rare.

How can you say there is no market for 3DS when no one has even tried it? There's no evidence to even point to it.

And anyway, I and a lot of my friends plus a few users in here would love a 3DS FPS. So I have anecdotal evidence in my mind against zero evidence of the contrary.

People need to stop treating the 3DS market as exactly the same as the DS. This is not true as DS owners are older now.

areason said:
ArtofAngels said:
areason said:

Huh?

CPP.

Dual analgos, you use the circle thing to move around. 

are you saying you would need a third stick for the camera?

Imho the people here saying that you need 2 sticks for fps have not played a single fps on the original DS which had no sticks just the dpad and the screen. I gotta say the CoD4 port to that was pretty awesome, even the online still has a lot of users today.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

SxyxS said:
three simple answers.
was no fun either

That´s not entirely true. Some 3rd party games sold very well on the 3DS (1 million+, including digital sales):

Capcom: Resident Evil Revelations, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate & 4, Super Street Fighter IV

Square: Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Dragon Quest VIII, Dragon Quest Monsters

Sega: Mario & Sonic 2012 Olympic Games

Level 5 : Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask

Some managed to produce games that sold 500k+:  Ubisoft, Namco, Marvelous, 505 Games, LucasArts, T&T, Disney Interactive

ArtofAngels said:
kitler53 said:
MohammadBadir said:

i'm gonna be honest with you, i don't really know how to play FPSs with dual analog, i've played them with Mouse and Keyboard, Wii Controls, and Touch Controls :P

as long as we are making public confessions...

...my first true shooter was gears of war (360).      >.<    the only other shooter i had played prior was metroid prime.    i was a nintendo only gamer through last gen who also never played bond (n64). 

I didn't know people considered Gears of War a true shooter. It was kind of its own thing.

I would have no idea what my first FPS was, maybe Doom but I never liked it. I certainly played the hell out of Goldeneye 007 though.

well let me expand that that.  it was the first game that required me to master the dual analog shooter control mechanisim.  prime was close but i relied heavily on the automatic lock-on mechanic to compensate for my lack of skills so i never really learned the controls.

never played any of the single analog shooters on the n64.  to this day i've still never played a mouse/keyboard shooter on PC.   i have played a few wiimote/ps move shooters.  playable but didn't like it as much...  i found it tiring that i had to maintain centered reticule when i didn't want to turn my camera.