By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are there no FPS's on the 3DS?

MohammadBadir said:
kitler53 said:

only a few and none that did great numbers.  there are like 3 peope that like metroid hunters.  everyone else, like myself, agree the controls where horrible.  that game completely destroyed the prospect of me ever buying a FPS on the DS again.  ..nor would i on 3DS either.  it was such a horrificly terrible experience.

to each their own.

i actually loved Hunters for a lot of things, especially that online.

like i said, 3 people (an obvious exageration) liked it.   i don't get it.  maybe it's just that i'm soo used to dual analog now but the touch controls in metroid was just not precise enough.  i handheld game in transit (train to work) mostly which might be part of it too.  metroid had kind of the same problem i hated in gravity rush,...  hit the slightest bump in the tracks and the controls/camera goes crazy. 

..but at least the 3DS has the optional second analog.   i still haven't gotten killzone for vita yet.  probably will eventually but i'm just not that excited for it.  in my head handheld gaming is like a different genre.  i almost exclusively play platformers on it.   that's probably part of it... for whatever reason a platformer doesn't feel like it need the high production values of a home console.  fps just kinda feels like it needs it.   maybe i've been breed to believe that,..  i'm western afterall.  but i feel what i feel. 

Around the Network

three simple answers.

1)no 3rd party success=fps are expensive,3rd parties don't succeed on nintendo systems(especially the blockbusters like cod,madden,fifa etc).Therefore-if nintendo does not make fps noone will(playing metroid with pen
was no fun either
2)no second analog stick=requires new adjustment of controls&balancing.Mechanics have to be modified =cheap port impossible
3)nintendo gamers in general are not interessted in playing always the same fps.they are interessted in playing
Always the same marios instead.

Why would I want a FPS on a 3DS, how many people would actually buy that shit? like 1?

kitler53 said:

like i said, 3 people (an obvious exageration) liked it.   i don't get it.  maybe it's just that i'm soo used to dual analog now but the touch controls in metroid was just not precise enough.  i handheld game in transit (train to work) mostly which might be part of it too.  metroid had kind of the same problem i hated in gravity rush,...  hit the slightest bump in the tracks and the controls/camera goes crazy. 

..but at least the 3DS has the optional second analog.   i still haven't gotten killzone for vita yet.  probably will eventually but i'm just not that excited for it.  in my head handheld gaming is like a different genre.  i almost exclusively play platformers on it.   that's probably part of it... for whatever reason a platformer doesn't feel like it need the high production values of a home console.  fps just kinda feels like it needs it.   maybe i've been breed to believe that,..  i'm western afterall.  but i feel what i feel. 

i'm gonna be honest with you, i don't really know how to play FPSs with dual analog, i've played them with Mouse and Keyboard, Wii Controls, and Touch Controls :P

For the same reason it has no twin STICK shooter

Around the Network

Well, IronFall is on the way, but that's a third-person shooter.

I think it's a matter of developers wanting to make shooters for consoles instead of handhelds, and the fact that there probably isn't much of an audience on 3DS. I don't think the single analog stick is much of a problem. Developers could get creative with the stylus or R button or whatever.

Maybe one day we'll get a Metroid Prime-type game for 3DS, even if that isn't technically a shooter.

SxyxS said:
three simple answers.

1)no 3rd party success=fps are expensive,3rd parties don't succeed on nintendo systems(especially the blockbusters like cod,madden,fifa etc).Therefore-if nintendo does not make fps noone will(playing metroid with pen
was no fun either
2)no second analog stick=requires new adjustment of controls&balancing.Mechanics have to be modified =cheap port impossible
3)nintendo gamers in general are not interessted in playing always the same fps.they are interessted in playing
Always the same marios instead.

People are very quick to generalize what a Nintendo gamer is, also culture for FPS's is higher now than it was during the DS era, so it makes more sense for there to be one on the 3DS now than the DS then.

Also Vita is a handheld with a few FPS's and their user base is significantly smaller, almost everyone with a Vita also has a 3DS.

I'm not asking why there isn't a truck load of FPS's on the 3DS. That's obvious enough. I'm asking why the hell there isn't even ONE.

MohammadBadir said:

i'm gonna be honest with you, i don't really know how to play FPSs with dual analog, i've played them with Mouse and Keyboard, Wii Controls, and Touch Controls :P

as long as we are making public confessions...

...my first true shooter was gears of war (360).      >.<    the only other shooter i had played prior was metroid prime.    i was a nintendo only gamer through last gen who also never played bond (n64). 

kitler53 said:
MohammadBadir said:

as long as we are making public confessions...

...my first true shooter was gears of war (360).      >.<    the only other shooter i had played prior was metroid prime.    i was a nintendo only gamer through last gen who also never played bond (n64). 

I didn't know people considered Gears of War a true shooter. It was kind of its own thing.

I would have no idea what my first FPS was, maybe Doom but I never liked it. I certainly played the hell out of Goldeneye 007 though.

No stick to control the camera and it doesn't need it at all.