By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - One Million PS4 units Sold In 24 Hours!!!

1 million in one territory, their worst one, in one day? Color me surprised. And impressed.

I would have expected far less and thought the 3 million before year's end, without Japan, sounded far fetched. The Wii U did about 470k first week combined and actually had a fairly good holiday launch last year.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
walsufnir said:
Amazing and very good start for PS4! How much were preordered?

If I had to take a guess maybe 850K. 

Wasn't it announced they had over 1 milion pre-orders a little while ago? I think I remember reading it on these forums somewhere.
On a side note, while these are very nice numbers, the entire gaming industry (perhaps the entire tech industry) has shifted into heavy frontloaded sales. We've been seeing this with games for a while, it might be wise to consider this effect for consoles as well, especially when you take into account that there are no more exclusive releases until Februari (correct me if I'm wrong).

tbone51 said:

PS4 you have sold over one million units in the first day of sale

Mummelmann said:
1 million in one territory, their worst one, in one day? Color me surprised. And impressed.

I would have expected far less and thought the 3 million before year's end, without Japan, sounded far fetched. The Wii U did about 470k first week combined and actually had a fairly good holiday launch last year.

it's not their worst territory. they sold much less ps3 in japan. and only europe as whole continent is better but as single country, usa is their biggest market. sure, they were the weakest compared to the competition in north america but that doesn't change that the market in sold units is still huge for sony.

but why do all people wonder about this? they had 1m+ pre-orders in june if i remember correct (and without japan). since then they got obviously more pre-orders and sold also units you couldn't pre-order. i think 1m was to expect. 1m north america, 1m+ in europe (depends what they can ship but 1m is minimum, they want this number in the news)

They will have sold over 2/3rds of their forcasted shipments by December.... im afraid its going to be imcredibly supply constrained in December if theycant ship a million more in a month... especially considering they will need to shipeven more than that to have enough supply in stores

Around the Network

Wow. Sony looking poised to take this generation, opting to forgo controller gimmicks for pure hardware performance + a sleek hardware design + more affordable price point were smart moves.

Nintendo and MS IMO kinda over thought this, though I think people will be impressed when they experience the XB1's overall "living room" experience (the way it integrates with everything).

What's the biggest opening week for a console in NA, the Wii? How does the the PS4 stack up?

Epic times for console industry!

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Why are everybody surprised? This doesn't come as a surprise to me, considering the fact that they said the preorders were at 1 million already 3 months ago and the fact that retailers like Amazon have it sold out.

FATALITY said:

Awesome.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."