By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It is official, Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 worldwide

Seece said:
Michael-5 said:
Seece said:
Michael-5 said:

So Sony sold as many PS3's and Microsoft shipped 360's?

That means PS3 won the console war, you wrote the title wrong.

Sold / shipped in. Big 3 never use actual sold to consumer figures unless explicitly stated.

Yea, but PS3 already outsold the 360 according to VGC, and it's been selling a lot better recently. Even if VGC is wrong, and PS3 is 2 weeks behind 360, it's selling nearly twice as well and will top 360 before the PS4 launches.

Either way PS3 won against 360, as long as Sony and others keep making exclusive games for the PS3, the war isn't over. With GT6 in December, Drakengard 3 & Tales of Xillia 2 in 2014, PS3 is far from done.

Wii still wins overall though

But you're right, vgc is wrong lol and it hasn't been selling as well in Europe as the site shows. Nintendo charts and this shipment info proves that.

So....I'm screwed on the 10 week countdown once adjustments are made.

Do you have a link for PS3 sales? I believe you, I just want to see it with my own eyes. How's PSP doing?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Looks good to me, M$ beat Sony this generation before the next one started....

Now, Sony will clean up in the 3rd world nations and get the total sales crown over the Wii by the time it is done.

It is near the end of the end....

How the hell did VGC get it so wrong?

Michael-5 said:

Yea, but PS3 already outsold the 360 according to VGC, and it's been selling a lot better recently. Even if VGC is wrong, and PS3 is 2 weeks behind 360, it's selling nearly twice as well and will top 360 before the PS4 launches.

It is pretty clear that the numbers here are completely off. Just look at the numbers for "Rest of the world" that often show PS3 outselling X360 by 3:1 to 5:1. That is a completely ridiculous number. So in this mystical "PS3 territory", subtract roughly 4-500'000 units for the entire year. Then look at the European numbers which are way too high for PS3 as well (there was a thread this fall that showed official numbers for France which showed almost 100'000 overtracked. Mind you many of Sony's strongest EU countries are those with heavy economic troubles. EU is overtracked by roughly 300'000-400'000. In total, I see PS3 overtracked by about 8-900'000 units in the numbers here.

drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:

It is pretty clear that the numbers here are completely off. Just look at the numbers for "Rest of the world" that often show PS3 outselling X360 by 3:1 to 5:1. That is a completely ridiculous number. So in this mystical "PS3 territory", subtract roughly 4-500'000 units for the entire year. Then look at the European numbers which are way too high for PS3 as well (there was a thread this fall that showed official numbers for France which showed almost 100'000 overtracked. Mind you many of Sony's strongest EU countries are those with heavy economic troubles. EU is overtracked by roughly 300'000-400'000. In total, I see PS3 overtracked by about 8-900'000 units in the numbers here.

not too rediculous when you consider ps3 is available in many countries the 360 is not.

Around the Network
zhao3gold said:
It is not a question that PS3 will exceed X360 in lifetime, but this tread is about the PS3 shipment vs. Xbox360 shipment up to date. Based on the official announcements from both companies, we know that:

1. The accumulative PS3 shipment didn't overtake Xbox360 in last December, 2012. The IDC report was absolute wrong and misinformed;
2. The accumulative PS3 shipment didn't overtake Xbox360 in the Q1, Q2 or even just past Q3 of 2013 (calendar year);
3. The accumulative PS3 shipment didn't overtake Xbox360 at least until 31st of October, 2013.

Anyway, big congratulations to PS3 and Sony regarding to how they turned around the PS3 fates. They did a great job since they launched PS3 slim in 2009 and continued to deliver good 1st party games.

Also, big congratulations to Xbox360 and Microsoft regarding to how they made Xbox360 reach 80million that beat many shipment forecasts from research firms back in 2005~2008. From 24million to 80million is a big milestone for MS.

After all, when this generation comes to the end, PS3 and Xbo360 are tied. We never saw this kind of competition in the history. Good for all of gamers.

Last of all, big LOL to Vgchartz about their tracking....

Yeahh, not since the snes and genesis days where they were neck and neck for a whioe with genesis taking the lead early on only with snes winning it out in the long run.

During that gen, I went from nes to genesis and skipped out on snes though I always played snes at a buddy's house. I was all about the Streets of Rage and Sonic.

I'm not surprised by this. The PS3 has looked over tracked in Europe all year if you ask me.

Frequency said:
drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:

not too rediculous when you consider ps3 is available in many countries the 360 is not.

That is a misconception that simply doesn't seem to go away...

All over mainland Europe, there are hundreds and hundreds of MediaMarkts in hundreds of countries that sell consoles. And then there are other multinational and local companies as well. Many of the more obscure countries have no MS representation. Still in those countries, XBoxes are sold just like PS3s and Wiis and whatnot. So again, it is not Microsoft or Sony that sell their consoles, it's foremost the multinational companies that do, in ALL countries. Hence the "PS3 is available in more European countries than X360" IS PLAIN WRONG.

Could this possibly mean that the drop-off year-to-year in actual number is larger for PS3 than 360? If we assume that the 360 number hold and that they are actually equal in sellthrough (meaning both have sold 78.8mn with 360 having some more consoles on shelves) this would mean that the PS3 number should be downgraded with approximately 1.6mn.

This would put the total number of less consoles sold compared to 2012 to around 2.7-2.8mn compared to 360s 1.7mn. That is quite the difference in drop-off. How can that be explained, has MS gone heavily towards emerging markets where PS normally is the stronger brand or what?

So adjustments are coming?