By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It is official, Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 worldwide

I knew it, that's what me and kowenicki have been saying for the past few months

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

These are shipping numbers, it's impossible to know which console is ahead in actual sales based that. For all we know Microsoft could have overshipped in October, and Sony undershipped. The only sales number we have to go by right now is Vgchartz.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
These are shipping numbers, it's impossible to know which console is ahead in actual sales based that. For all we know Microsoft could have overshipped in October, and Sony undershipped. The only sales number we have to go by right now is Vgchartz.

So yeah, we have nothing to go on pretty much. VGC is overtracked.

PS360 will still ship a good 4.5m+ this holiday season I imagine, most of that is shipped out of factories (where they're then counted) by early December.

October is already seeing a lot of consoles being shipped out getting ready for Black Friday.

We should just assume they're neck and neck until the end of the year when hopefully we get solid shipment updates, I doubt it tho :

I will be interested in seeing who wins this holiday. That 250GB/Last of Us/Batman PS3 bundle is insane and IIRC TRU is having it on BF for $200.

Announcements are 2 weeks apart, damn. Really though, this is all Sonys fault. They should have never coupled the PS2/PS3 shipments and just gave us the proper individual data.

Around the Network

So Sony sold as many PS3's and Microsoft shipped 360's?

That means PS3 won the console war, you wrote the title wrong.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Sold / shipped in. Big 3 never use actual sold to consumer figures unless explicitly stated.

I remember when the battle for sales started to heat up between the PS3 and 360, a Microsoft manager (forget who) claimed that PS3 would not lead the 360 in sales this generation. The consensus at that the time was that he meant until the next generation had started. That was a very bold claim at the time and was derided by many on this forum who prefer Sony. Looks like Microsoft have pulled it off.

As I discovered on a previous occasion when massive adjustments took place, it is pointless arguing over the numbers posted on this site as they are totally unreliable.

I used to work for a government body preparing contracts that went out to tender. You had to estimate the costs for jobs before they went out to tender so that the budget could be managed. 17% difference was the maximum allowed between your estimate and the winning bid. If you exceeded that, you were facing an uncomfortable grilling from senior management. In all honesty, if you weren't well below 10% difference you had a bad reputation. Bearing in mind that the running total on these forums are adjusted each time Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo announce numbers shipped themselves, any variation in the numbers posted by VGChartz should be measured not against the running total but the interim sales from the last quarter that Sony etc posted figures for.  Seen in that light, I have to say most times I could pull better figures out of my ass. I find it particularly amusing that VGChartz posts numbers without rounding to the nearest thousand (even to the nearest hundred would be better) as if that lends more credibility to the estimates.

I come here now only to read any info on the latest games/consoles. The sales charts just aren't worth looking at.

Seece said:
Michael-5 said:

Sold / shipped in. Big 3 never use actual sold to consumer figures unless explicitly stated.

Yea, but PS3 already outsold the 360 according to VGC, and it's been selling a lot better recently. Even if VGC is wrong, and PS3 is 2 weeks behind 360, it's selling nearly twice as well and will top 360 before the PS4 launches.

Either way PS3 won against 360, as long as Sony and others keep making exclusive games for the PS3, the war isn't over. With GT6 in December, Drakengard 3 & Tales of Xillia 2 in 2014, PS3 is far from done.

Wii still wins overall though

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Seece said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, but PS3 already outsold the 360 according to VGC, and it's been selling a lot better recently. Even if VGC is wrong, and PS3 is 2 weeks behind 360, it's selling nearly twice as well and will top 360 before the PS4 launches.

Either way PS3 won against 360, as long as Sony and others keep making exclusive games for the PS3, the war isn't over. With GT6 in December, Drakengard 3 & Tales of Xillia 2 in 2014, PS3 is far from done.

Wii still wins overall though

But you're right, vgc is wrong lol and it hasn't been selling as well in Europe as the site shows. Nintendo charts and this shipment info proves that.