By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It is official, Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 worldwide

Lulz said:
Tagged so I can come back and read the meltdowns later.

^^ this

with ps3 in 2nd, the meltdowns from the people who thought ps3 would be in 3rd should be entertaining ;)

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
MS did not ship 80mil by september and its questionable if they reached it when they announced it in mid october... unless you think MS ishipped about half of 3rd quarter totals in its slowest 3rd of the period

You are assuming that VGC´s numbers for 2012 and the first half of 2013 are correct for PS3, which the aren´t. The problem lies historically in the way Sony has announced their shipment numbers where they combined PS3+PS2 shipments. That way we have been in the blind regarding the actual number of PS3 shipped.

And I assume you do not think MS are lying in an official statement regarding something so trivial as shipments?

Puppyroach said:
enditall727 said:
Puppyroach said:
Frank_kc said:
Puppyroach said:
Oh man, the adjustments are a joke, the VGC crew should not make any adjustments at all before they have properly investigated where they have tracked the consoles wrong. It is obvious that they are at least equal in sell-through numbers so this just looks unproffesional.

Seems logical to me. PS3 outshiped 360 by 800,000 + last Q.

That would be logical if it wasn´t for the fact that PS3 reached 80mn shipped on november 1st while MS reached 80mn shipped by the end of september. The fault from VGC lies in the 2012 figures and probably to some degree in the first half of 2013. It is not possible that 360 at present has 80mn+ with 78.4 mn sell-through while PS3 just reached 80mn with 79.7mn sell-through. Anyone can see this is completely wrong in any way, shape or form.

The problem with this is that it undermines VGC:ers confidence in the site. Having the wrong number might be one thing, making adjustments that seem completely random is alot worse.

Would it have made you feel better if the 360 was ahead after the adjustment?

OT: The adjustment is pretty much in line with my earlier comment in this thread

Well, since that would be the correct adjustment, yes. We all know PS3 at one point will pass 360, but shouldn´t a sales site work towards reflecting reality, not what our hopes are? If Sony has announced in september that they had reached 80mn shipped, there would be no question that they also outsold the 360. This is not the case and shouldn´t your goal aswell be to find out what the most reasonable truth is in regards to shipped versus sell-through?

ps3 sells more than 360 each week by a large margin so it would be obvious that the ps3 would reach its shipped cap quicker than the 360. 

What the fuck does MS announcing 80mil early have anything to do with VGC or Sony?

enditall727 said:
Puppyroach said:
enditall727 said:

OT: The adjustment is pretty much in line with my earlier comment in this thread

Well, since that would be the correct adjustment, yes. We all know PS3 at one point will pass 360, but shouldn´t a sales site work towards reflecting reality, not what our hopes are? If Sony has announced in september that they had reached 80mn shipped, there would be no question that they also outsold the 360. This is not the case and shouldn´t your goal aswell be to find out what the most reasonable truth is in regards to shipped versus sell-through?

ps3 sells more than 360 each week by a large margin so it would be obvious that the ps3 would reach its shipped cap quicker than the 360. 

Exactly which would mean they would have had shipped above 80mn at the beginning of november to cater for the bigger sell-through if the actiual sell-through were to be higher than MS. Yet, despite them selling at a higher rate than 360, they aren´t shipping much more so they only have 300k consoles on shelves? :)

And of course Sony wuld announce the moment they pass 360 in sell-through since that would be a small victory for them just in time for the PS4 release. As it stands now, they will probably pass 360 in shipped AND sell-through by the beginning of 2014, no sooner. They will do it though, that´s for sure.

Around the Network
What the fuck does MS announcing 80mil early have anything to do with VGC or Sony?

Everything.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Puppyroach said:

You are assuming that VGC´s numbers for 2012 and the first half of 2013 are correct for PS3, which the aren´t. The problem lies historically in the way Sony has announced their shipment numbers where they combined PS3+PS2 shipments. That way we have been in the blind regarding the actual number of PS3 shipped.

And I assume you do not think MS are lying in an official statement regarding something so trivial as shipments?

Lying? No. Being efficient with a press release? Yes. Seriously, the 360 shipped 1.2 mil in the last 3 months yet you think they shipped half of that in the first 2 weeks of october? Then you must also think they have shipped another 1mil in octobers last two weeks. 

Puppyroach said:
enditall727 said:
Puppyroach said:
enditall727 said:

Exactly which would mean they would have had shipped above 80mn at the beginning of november to cater for the bigger sell-through if the actiual sell-through were to be higher than MS. Yet, despite them selling at a higher rate than 360, they aren´t shipping much more so they only have 300k consoles on shelves? :)

And of course Sony wuld announce the moment they pass 360 in sell-through since that would be a small victory for them just in time for the PS4 release. As it stands now, they will probably pass 360 in shipped AND sell-through by the beginning of 2014, no sooner. They will do it though, that´s for sure.

Sony have shipped "Over 80 million" so we don't know what the exact numbers could be. Their official shipped number could be at 80.8 for all we know.

I believe the adjustments could be spot on because of how much more the ps3 sells weekly.

and I don't think Sony  would announce that because i'm not sure that they actually know the exact number of their competitors numbers.

Puppyroach said:

Lying? No. Being efficient with a press release? Yes. Seriously, the 360 shipped 1.2 mil in the last 3 months yet you think they shipped half of that in the first 2 weeks of october? Then you must also think they have shipped another 1mil in octobers last two weeks. 

What are you talking about? MS officially stated they had shipped 80mn by the end of september so what does that have to do with how buch they shipped in october, they haven´t released those figures?

If you are comparing MS shipped with VGC sold, you must realize that VGC´s numbers must be off and the 360 has sold higher than the VGC estimates in 2012 and first half of 2013. Best case scenario, I would say, is that 360 has shipped about 80.4mn at the end of november while PS3 has shipped 80mn. With sell-through around about 79.4 for 360 and 79.2-79.4 for PS3, this would still mean there are less PS3´s on shelves than 360´s but it would also mean that VGC has undertracked 360 with about 600-700k for 2012/first half of 2013 and overtracked PS3 with 400-500k for the same period.

This can possibly be explained by looking at other markets than USA, since we have a good estimate for that market.

EDIT. I meant at the end of October, not November, sorry :).

Puppyroach said:

What are you talking about? MS officially stated they had shipped 80mn by the end of september so what does that have to do with how buch they shipped in october, they haven´t released those figures?

If you are comparing MS shipped with VGC sold, you must realize that VGC´s numbers must be off and the 360 has sold higher than the VGC estimates in 2012 and first half of 2013. Best case scenario, I would say, is that 360 has shipped about 80.4mn at the end of november while PS3 has shipped 80mn. With sell-through around about 79.4 for 360 and 79.2-79.4 for PS3, this would still mean there are less PS3´s on shelves than 360´s but it would also mean that VGC has undertracked 360 with about 600-700k for 2012/first half of 2013 and overtracked PS3 with 400-500k for the same period.

This can possibly be explained by looking at other markets than USA, since we have a good estimate for that market.

79.4Mil by end of september. Come back when you have the facts right.