By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: PS4 and Xbox One Launches Will "energise the videogame industry as a whole"

Kresnik said:
BrainCramps said:

?? Really? The numbers sure seem to indicate they will, at least PS4.

Launch lineups packed with cross-generation games all of which have "issues" on next gen mixed in with the odd exclusive which look like graphical overhauls of current gen titles and not much else.

Personally, the 8th gen hasn't shown me anything which will energise the industry at the moment.

Certainly I hope that they do, though, because I want this industry to go from strength to strength.  But I don't believe there's going to be a vast amount of interest beyond the launch "rush" at the moment.  I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

Same as every other launch.......................

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

Uh Nintendo has 12 billion $ in the bank

Where on earth have you pulled that number from?

I believe it's a well known fact Nintendo has over 12 billion dollars in the bank.

The wii U ist not selling that well beacause in part it was the first console of this generation and people tend to wait a little bit to see what is the preposition of the other companies,when these consoles release i think people will start comparing them and finnaly choose one that fits their needs.I agree with him The entire industry needs this launch even nintendo.

MohammadBadir said:

I believe it's a well known fact Nintendo has over 12 billion dollars in the bank.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-has-812-8-billion-yen-in-the-bank/

$10.5 billion when that article was made, which is now severely out of date.  It refers to the ¥812.8 billion which can be found in this article:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427summary/index.html

(If you scroll down to table B about halfway down the page):

B. The balance of cash and deposits on the consolidated balance sheets

As of Mar. 31, 2011 As of Mar. 31, 2012
Cash and Deposits 812.8 billion yen 462.0 billion yen

As you can see, their amount in the bank decreased from ¥812.8 billion to ¥462.0 billion in a year.  And if the 812.8 billion = $10.5 billion, then I don't understand how 462.0 billion = $12 billion.

Unless, of course, they've added $7 billion to their bank accounts in the past year.  I can't find anything in their most recent consolidated report:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130425summary/index.html

About the balance of their bank account, though.

So again, I'm struggling to understand where he (and apparently you) got $12 billion from.  Unless there's some other source that I'm unaware of which you can point me towards?

edit: Or if you were being sarcastic.  In which case, I missed that; this being the internet and all.

It was hyperbole from their company assets+ the Pokemon company assets and the general solvency of their line up so I just dropped 12 billion out. As a whole. In their actual bank its as you said

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
Landguy said:
cheesecake said:
Landguy said:
existenz2 said:

The PS4 and Xbone will energise the market.

However the WiiU wont be a part of it.

Unfortunate, but true. 

Nintendo will not dissappear, they will become a multi-plat publisher before the end of this generation...

I've heard that last gen, and the one before that, and the one before that, heck, even the one before that.

it's not happening, Deal with it.

I always get a chuckle when people try to compare 2014 to 1996 for the gaming biz....

Nintendo's main problem is that they don't have cashflow from other parts of their business to lean on.  Even when the Wii was selling crazy, they weren't incredibly profitable.  Every entertainment market has become VERY segmented.  This is leading all companies to completely change their business models to stay afloat , let alone get ahead. 

Nintendo is publicly traded, therfore it isn't up to 5-7 people at the top to keep things as they were in the past.  It's not an if, it's a when for them to go cross platform.  They will likely spread out to tablets and PC's at first, but WHEN they no longer sell full sized game consoles, they will cross over to the other platforms.

Never knew Michael Pachter was on VGChartz.

Well, if personal attacks are your thing, I could come up with some not so witty comments like yours.

Clearly, Pachter is a stock analyst who has now decided to create his own branding to pander to trolls who watch his videos.  What he really makes his money at is prognisticating on stock futures(especially gaming).  I of course only share my viewpoint for free(it's true value).  If you have a set of numbers that prove that my opinion is invalid, I welcome you to put them on here with your sources to refute my opinion.  If not, it proves that I needn't come up with that witty retort.

It is near the end of the end....

I like it when company people act like adults instead of flinging mud like fanboys.

Well anything that helps "U" would be a nice thing. Mmmkay.

prayformojo said:

Did you it's hear that? Iwata basically just said that if you're a highly skilled gamer, Nintendo probably isn't right for you anymore. For me, that just confirms what I suspected. Their priorities aren't what they were when I was playing Kid Icarus, and cussing at the screen in the 80's.

Just, wow.

To be fair, the only placed for a "skilled gamer" today is the PC, the PS3 and 360 may have chosen a more "mature" route but they have also contributed to a global dumbing down of almost all games and genres and replaced depth with bells and whistles.

I do think that Iwata just shot his foot with that statement though, the core gamer would be the Wii U's only hope at this point, the casuals have long since adopted the phone/tablet market and social and browser games, they're lost to the home consoles by now.

I too remember how hard Nintendo games were back in the day, no saving and certain sections that were damn near impossible! I think I never cleared about half of my game collection on NES! Werewolf and the first Turtles were the worst for me, Mario games were fairly easy though.

so they are targeting family and party gamers? I thought they made the Wiiu for the core also? looks like a 180 to me.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...