By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: PS4 and Xbox One Launches Will "energise the videogame industry as a whole"

Landguy said:
existenz2 said:

The PS4 and Xbone will energise the market.

However the WiiU wont be a part of it.

Unfortunate, but true. 

Nintendo will not dissappear, they will become a multi-plat publisher before the end of this generation...

I've heard that last gen, and the one before that, and the one before that, heck, even the one before that.

it's not happening, Deal with it.

Around the Network

platformmaster918 said:

"A rising tide lifts all ships"
Jack Tretton has said this on multiple occasions. He said it last year near the WiiU release.

that's not quite true...

Did you it's hear that? Iwata basically just said that if you're a highly skilled gamer, Nintendo probably isn't right for you anymore. For me, that just confirms what I suspected. Their priorities aren't what they were when I was playing Kid Icarus, and cussing at the screen in the 80's.

Just, wow.

Landguy said:
Multishanks said:
Landguy said:
existenz2 said:

Unfortunate, but true. 

Nintendo will not dissappear, they will become a multi-plat publisher before the end of this generation...

I'll take that bet. 

You don't think that Nintendo will end up publishing any of the IP's to other formats in the next 5-7 years?  That's what multiplat means.  In their latest earnings call, they indicated they are trying to avoid it, but DID NOT say they wouldn't do it.

No, I don't. Concluding that something will happen in 5-7 years "because they are trying to avoid it" is a huge assumption. We will see though. Like I said, I'll take that bet.

Multishanks said:
Landguy said:
Multishanks said:
Landguy said:
existenz2 said:

Unfortunate, but true. 

I'll take that bet. 

You don't think that Nintendo will end up publishing any of the IP's to other formats in the next 5-7 years?  That's what multiplat means.  In their latest earnings call, they indicated they are trying to avoid it, but DID NOT say they wouldn't do it.

No, I don't. Concluding that something will happen in 5-7 years "because they are trying to avoid it" is a huge assumption. We will see though. Like I said, I'll take that bet.

The only way to play it is to bet "short" on the stock market for nintendo.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network
cheesecake said:
Landguy said:
existenz2 said:

Unfortunate, but true. 

I've heard that last gen, and the one before that, and the one before that, heck, even the one before that.

I always get a chuckle when people try to compare 2014 to 1996 for the gaming biz....

Nintendo's main problem is that they don't have cashflow from other parts of their business to lean on.  Even when the Wii was selling crazy, they weren't incredibly profitable.  Every entertainment market has become VERY segmented.  This is leading all companies to completely change their business models to stay afloat , let alone get ahead. 

Nintendo is publicly traded, therfore it isn't up to 5-7 people at the top to keep things as they were in the past.  It's not an if, it's a when for them to go cross platform.  They will likely spread out to tablets and PC's at first, but WHEN they no longer sell full sized game consoles, they will cross over to the other platforms.

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
cheesecake said:
Landguy said:
existenz2 said:

Unfortunate, but true. 

I always get a chuckle when people try to compare 2014 to 1996 for the gaming biz....

Nintendo's main problem is that they don't have cashflow from other parts of their business to lean on.  Even when the Wii was selling crazy, they weren't incredibly profitable.  Every entertainment market has become VERY segmented.  This is leading all companies to completely change their business models to stay afloat , let alone get ahead. 

Nintendo is publicly traded, therfore it isn't up to 5-7 people at the top to keep things as they were in the past.  It's not an if, it's a when for them to go cross platform.  They will likely spread out to tablets and PC's at first, but WHEN they no longer sell full sized game consoles, they will cross over to the other platforms.

Never knew Michael Pachter was on VGChartz.

Uh Nintendo has 12 billion $ in the bank and I pretty sure they arent exactly publicly traded in the cleanest sense. Not like Microsoft.

That said Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Focusing on families for this year is good to get them to ride the Mario Kart high while they put out more games for "skilled Individuals" next year

The Neogaf thread is awful. Coming here I see that this place isnt Neogaf Part 2. But still that one fool with the ET shirt belongs over there  for bad reading comprehension

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

Uh Nintendo has 12 billion $ in the bank

Where on earth have you pulled that number from?

BrainCramps said:

?? Really? The numbers sure seem to indicate they will, at least PS4.

Launch lineups packed with cross-generation games all of which have "issues" on next gen mixed in with the odd exclusive which look like graphical overhauls of current gen titles and not much else.

Personally, the 8th gen hasn't shown me anything which will energise the industry at the moment.

Certainly I hope that they do, though, because I want this industry to go from strength to strength.  But I don't believe there's going to be a vast amount of interest beyond the launch "rush" at the moment.  I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.