By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Demon Souls 2 May Be Announced at Sony Nov. 15 Event

Kane1389 said:
Xen said:
Kane1389 said:
Xen said:
Kane1389 said:
No one could possibly make an objective argument as to why Demon's Souls is any way, shape or form better than Dark Souls.

No one.

lol.

1) Less pointless running between locations.

You mean an actual connected, structured, alive world?

2) Better environments. Much more urban and gothic, which works better both with the atmosphere and with the engine itself.

No. Demon Souls had a grand total of 5 different enviroments and 1 of them sucked (stonefang levels). Dark Souls has everything that you'd want in a medieval setting, and there's just so much more variety.

3) More concise storytelling,

The whole story is basically told in the intro and the ending of the game. NOTHING in between. Dark Souls's lore is much much more richer, better and has an actual construction.

4) The Nexus, giving you a much better sense of "ooooh, finally a break from this" than any campfire

Big, empty boring room which takes you out of the immersion and atmosphere of the game

5) I found the bosses to be more exciting and tougher to beat

The only hard ones being Flamelurker, King Allant and to smaller extent Maneater

just to name a few.

Now here are my reasons

1.) Better world ( i cant emphasize enough how better it is)

2.) More weapons, spells, armour, items, NPCs

3.) Bigger variety in enemies, enviroments, tactics and character design

4.) Much, much better PvP structure (big + for me)

5.) More bosses

6.) Better graphics

7.) It encourages exploring since it has many levels which you dont need to complete

8.) No bullshit world/character tendecy crap, that kept me from accessing many areas and weapons in the game

9.) Covenants making PvP and farming more interesting and rewarding

10.) You cant relly on magic and old spice/grass popping through the game

11.) You arent limited in PvP by being in human form

....there are just so many reasons why Dark Souls is an improvement in every way imaginable

A few linked corridors is an alive world now? Nexus is a big boring room?

Yeah, argue with yourself. I don't even want to write back to this if you're just insulting the game, and you are.

Linked corridors? 

Anor Londo, Darkroot Forest, Painted World and Lost Izalith would like to have a word with you

And please understand, i am not insulting the game. Its probably my 3rd favorite RPG ever (after Dark and Fallout 3) I've put over 500 hours into it. But to deny the clear improvments Dark Souls is rather foolish

I've not reached any of those aside from Darkroot Forest yet - I have little motivation to play it atm. Partially because I really disliked Darkroot Forest - the game does not do nature well IMO. If most of it was like Undead Parish/Burg, THAT would be the shit.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Kane1389 said:

I've not reached any of those aside from Darkroot Forest yet - I have little motivation to play it atm. Partially because I really disliked Darkroot Forest - the game does not do nature well IMO. If most of it was like Undead Parish/Burg, THAT would be the shit.

So you havent even completed the game yet?

Kane1389 said:
Xen said:
Kane1389 said:

So you havent even completed the game yet?

Nope. However, I saw a decent chunk of it already, and it's not too exciting to me.

Dark Souls is still a good game, but for many who played Demon's Souls there are aspects that one can find more enjoyable there. For me...

- I didn't like the Bonfire system within the pseudo open world. It felt like retreading when having to travel back and forth between them. Having a Hub world like the Nexus was better for me, knowing I had this safe Haven to teleport back to.

-Saying that Demon's Story is mostly told in the intro sounds like someone who didn't pay much attention to anything in the game. Demon's Soul's method of story telling is so forward thinking and ingenius. The story is never forced upon you, as there are many who don't really care for epiloguing when playing these games. Yet, if you want it, the story is hidden within the world's environments itself. You gain small bits of the story from talking to NPCs, particularly the Merchants. Other anecdotes that reveal MUCH of the story are found in the Item/Weapons/Armor Descriptions. Context clues from the visual imagery also says much about the characters. And the game has many Characters, with distinct goals, etc. Freke, Witch Yuria, Mephistopheles, Ostreva, King Allant, King Doran, The Vinlands, Maiden Astrea, Old Monk, Cursed Mistress, etc. Deep intertwining stories for each without any of them having to ever lock you into awkwardly long convo to tell you. I think this is just better than the alternative.

-Most things about Dark Soul's combat system is probably better, but not a fan of the horrid running animations, or the Flask System.

-Also I don't like looking like a zombie in Dark Souls.

-Bosses. Far more intracate to the plot in Demon's, and much more inventive strategies built into them. False King beats Gwynn all day for me. Bosses just feel easier in Dark, oddly enough the minions are a lot more dangerous to you.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Kane1389 said:
Xen said:
Kane1389 said:
No one could possibly make an objective argument as to why Demon's Souls is any way, shape or form better than Dark Souls.

No one.

lol.

1) Less pointless running between locations.

You mean an actual connected, structured, alive world?

2) Better environments. Much more urban and gothic, which works better both with the atmosphere and with the engine itself.

No. Demon Souls had a grand total of 5 different enviroments and 1 of them sucked (stonefang levels). Dark Souls has everything that you'd want in a medieval setting, and there's just so much more variety.

3) More concise storytelling,

The whole story is basically told in the intro and the ending of the game. NOTHING in between. Dark Souls's lore is much much more richer, better and has an actual construction.

4) The Nexus, giving you a much better sense of "ooooh, finally a break from this" than any campfire

Big, empty boring room which takes you out of the immersion and atmosphere of the game

5) I found the bosses to be more exciting and tougher to beat

The only hard ones being Flamelurker, King Allant and to smaller extent Maneater

just to name a few.

Now here are my reasons

1.) Better world ( i cant emphasize enough how better it is)

2.) More weapons, spells, armour, items, NPCs

3.) Bigger variety in enemies, enviroments, tactics and character design

4.) Much, much better PvP structure (big + for me)

5.) More bosses

6.) Better graphics

7.) It encourages exploring since it has many levels which you dont need to complete

8.) No bullshit world/character tendecy crap, that kept me from accessing many areas and weapons in the game

9.) Covenants making PvP and farming more interesting and rewarding

10.) You cant relly on magic and old spice/grass popping through the game

11.) You arent limited in PvP by being in human form

....there are just so many reasons why Dark Souls is an improvement in every way imaginable

i'm a huge fanboy of both games but overall i still enjoyed demon's souls better.

a more interesting story/world with bosses that felt far more unique and a co-op system that wasn't a horrible clusterfuck made demon's better to me.  demon's also did a really great job with level design in developing unique memorable encounters around almost every corner.  

don't get me wrong,.. dark brought some great stuff to the table as well.  i enjoyed the open world design for the most part.  i wish it had been better designed.  it always buged me that after rining the second bell andor londo was just so seperated from the rest of the world. ash lake/painted world was just too segregated.  it would have been better, imo, to keep it more condenced.   i did enjoy the convenant system but, for the record, i missed the world tendancy system.  dark souls did a much better job having each of the character classes feel different and having more than one "best" weapon. 

anyhoo, both good but i prefered demon's

...but lol at those trying to claim dark wasnt the spiritual successor to demon's.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
ps3-sales! said:
Um, Okay so I haven't exactly played either game. But how would Demon's Souls 2 be different from Dark Souls 2?

If you're asking about the differences between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, there aren't a whole lot. The lore between both games is different but both games are told in a similar way (through limited cutscenes and you get much of the story through talking to NPCs). Other than that, Dark Souls is just an evolution of Demon's. The gameplay is the exact same but with improvements. Notable ones include the Bonfire system and open world being an evolution of the hub world system in Demon's, and there being a rechargeable healing item called an Estus Flask which replaces the grass (limited consumable healing items, though Dark Souls 2 has both. The consumables aren't called grass though.).

I'd say both games are more or less similar in quality. Dark Souls just being a little better for me since I like the improvements and the interconnected world is cooler than the hub world.

Anyway, some rumors seem to suggest that they might not have Demon's Souls 2 specifically in development but something a bit similar. Whatever it is though I'm interested.

i'll be honest.  i'm hoping it isn't demon's souls 2.  dark souls is close enough and having two game soo similar wouldn't be so great. 

i'd like a "similar" themed game but do something different gameplay wise.

Soriku said:
ps3-sales! said:
Um, Okay so I haven't exactly played either game. But how would Demon's Souls 2 be different from Dark Souls 2?

If you're asking about the differences between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, there aren't a whole lot. The lore between both games is different but both games are told in a similar way (through limited cutscenes and you get much of the story through talking to NPCs). Other than that, Dark Souls is just an evolution of Demon's. The gameplay is the exact same but with improvements. Notable ones include the Bonfire system and open world being an evolution of the hub world system in Demon's, and there being a rechargeable healing item called an Estus Flask which replaces the grass (limited consumable healing items, though Dark Souls 2 has both. The consumables aren't called grass though.).

I'd say both games are more or less similar in quality. Dark Souls just being a little better for me since I like the improvements and the interconnected world is cooler than the hub world.

Anyway, some rumors seem to suggest that they might not have Demon's Souls 2 specifically in development but something a bit similar. Whatever it is though I'm interested.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If Dark Souls apparentley improved on a lot that Demon's did, and Dark Souls 2 is coming out... What is the point of Demon's Souls? The only thing I'm thinking is because Sony owns the rights to Demon's Souls, they want it exclusive on Ps4. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

kabamarutr said:
Mad55 said:
Well we have dark souls 2 so im not really excited for this at all lol.

Why not? If you like Dark Souls, it's more than probable that you'd like a possible Demon's Souls 2 game. That's considering you haven't played the first one. If you did, then I cannot understand your statement at all.

I beat it and liked it. Then I beat dark souls and liked it even more. Their both by the same dev so why would I want a demon souls sequel by a different dev when im getting dark souls 2 by the original devs who keep proving their getting better at making these types of games. Not a fan of getting the same themed games, especially if they release kinda close togethor. 

ps3-sales! said:
Soriku said:
ps3-sales! said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If Dark Souls apparentley improved on a lot that Demon's did, and Dark Souls 2 is coming out... What is the point of Demon's Souls? The only thing I'm thinking is because Sony owns the rights to Demon's Souls, they want it exclusive on Ps4. 

Dark Souls II also isn't coming to Next Gen. If they just ported ported DS2 you would only need to buy one version, probably the one on current gen. If they gave you DS2 and Demon's Souls 2 on PS4, they could use similar/same assets and get most to buy both. I know I would definitely shell out cash for both games. And who is to say they have to release the same year. For all we know Demon's Souls 2(if it exists) could come out in 2015, while Dark comes out 2014.

Also, its not like Dark out sold Demon's Souls by some huge margin, they sold relatively the same last time I checked. Didn't really need to be Multiplat to be successful. It needed A publisher who had faith in the game (which apparently wasn't Sony at the time). And 80% of those sales were on PS3.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Soriku said:
Mad55 said:
kabamarutr said:
Mad55 said:
Well we have dark souls 2 so im not really excited for this at all lol.

Why not? If you like Dark Souls, it's more than probable that you'd like a possible Demon's Souls 2 game. That's considering you haven't played the first one. If you did, then I cannot understand your statement at all.

I beat it and liked it. Then I beat dark souls and liked it even more. Their both by the same dev so why would I want a demon souls sequel by a different dev when im getting dark souls 2 by the original devs who keep proving their getting better at making these types of games. Not a fan of getting the same themed games, especially if they release kinda close togethor. 

Demon's Souls 2 would still be made by From.

oh well then i can be a bit excited i guess. seems weird though.