By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Demon Souls 2 May Be Announced at Sony Nov. 15 Event

Yes, Yes, make it happen sony! Love the dark/demon souls series!

Around the Network
Soriku said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Dark Souls II also isn't coming to Next Gen. If they just ported ported DS2 you would only need to buy one version, probably the one on current gen. If they gave you DS2 and Demon's Souls 2 on PS4, they could use similar/same assets and get most to buy both. I know I would definitely shell out cash for both games. And who is to say they have to release the same year. For all we know Demon's Souls 2(if it exists) could come out in 2015, while Dark comes out 2014.

Also, its not like Dark out sold Demon's Souls by some huge margin, they sold relatively the same last time I checked. Didn't really need to be Multiplat to be successful. It needed A publisher who had faith in the game (which apparently wasn't Sony at the time). And 80% of those sales were on PS3.

Dark Souls sold 2.36+ mil.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538569

It's way ahead of Demon's (did it even cross the 1 mil mark?)

Demon's Souls sold close to 2 million copies, I read that somwhere. VGC has it at 1.6mill. I imagine its probably around 1.9million actually.

Demon's Souls also is now free, which stunted its legs quite a bit.

The sales increase for Dark could really just be attributed to what you would expect of a sequel to a praised series. The idea of being Multiplatform is that you can tap into 50% or more sales or something if you are on more platforms is it not? So the series really only got a tiny bump from being multiplat.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Demon's Souls does have some better things compared to Dark Souls but same with Dark Souls. Overall, Dark Souls is better imo.

I don't believe this at all. If it holds any weight, it's that Dark Souls 2 for next gen consoles will be exclusive to PS4.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

I find this highly unlikely personally. From Software is still working on Dark Souls II. I don't see how they could be working on Demon's Souls II as well.

Solid-Stark said:
Demon's Souls does have some better things compared to Dark Souls but same with Dark Souls. Overall, Dark Souls is better imo.

I don't believe this at all. If it holds any weight, it's that Dark Souls 2 for next gen consoles will be exclusive to PS4.

I don't think anyone in here is saying that the prospect of having both isn't strange as hell. It is. Its just this info is coming from a pretty good source on NeoGaf. FamousMortimer is not known for being wrong. Mind you he calls the game "Demon's Souls spiritual successor" which could indeed mean Demon's Souls 2 or more logically a new game similar to it and made by Sony 1st/2nd Party.

DS2 exclusive to PS4 as far as next gen is also a possibility, if only marginally unlikely.

Greatness Awaits

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
kabamarutr said:
Mad55 said:
Well we have dark souls 2 so im not really excited for this at all lol.

Why not? If you like Dark Souls, it's more than probable that you'd like a possible Demon's Souls 2 game. That's considering you haven't played the first one. If you did, then I cannot understand your statement at all.

I beat it and liked it. Then I beat dark souls and liked it even more. Their both by the same dev so why would I want a demon souls sequel by a different dev when im getting dark souls 2 by the original devs who keep proving their getting better at making these types of games. Not a fan of getting the same themed games, especially if they release kinda close togethor. 

Well, opinion and taste should always be respected. It's just that If you like a game or a specific genre you should probably rejoice at news of yet another addition in your preferred gaming choice. Why wouldn't you? If it turns out to be true, I would certainly buy both and invest equal time. 

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

forevercloud3000 said:
Solid-Stark said:

I don't think anyone in here is saying that the prospect of having both isn't strange as hell. It is. Its just this info is coming from a pretty good source on NeoGaf. FamousMortimer is not known for being wrong. Mind you he calls the game "Demon's Souls spiritual successor" which could indeed mean Demon's Souls 2 or more logically a new game similar to it and made by Sony 1st/2nd Party.

DS2 exclusive to PS4 as far as next gen is also a possibility, if only marginally unlikely.

It's not even just famousmortimer that has hinted at this. Around the time of E3, a Swedish online retailer named CDON had a listing for Demon's Souls 2 for the PS4 out of nowhere. Then I think after close to a month it was finally taken down. Shuhei Yoshida was asked if we would see a sequel to Demon's Souls which he replied that he would love to see it and then ended with, "..but I can't say anything more than that". The director of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls was confirmed to not be involved with Dark Souls 2 and then rumors began spreading that he was working on a next gen project. Dark Souls 2 has only been confirmed for current gen platforms.

Then we also have Verendus on NeoGAF who claimed that Japan Studio was working directly with FROM Software on an unannounced RPG with much speculation that it was Demon's Souls 2. He then would later say that he believed if Demon's Souls 2 were to be announced, it would likely be the TGS though he didn't say that was certain. Now we have famousmortimer saying what he has heard. 

It is not strange at all to have Demon's Souls 2 drop not long after Dark Souls 2 especially if Japan Studio really is working with FROM Software and providing support, which is the way the first game was made. Not to mention, since Sony owns the IP they can get whoever they want to make it even if that means Japan Studio does it all. The games are highly similar though not exactly the same. If Sony can get an exclusive Souls game out it would make the PS4 the only next gen platform to experience such a game until, and assuming, another Dark Souls game is made.

Kane1389 said:
No one could possibly make an objective argument as to why Demon's Souls is any way, shape or form better than Dark Souls.

No one.

Now that my turn is up, I shall offer an aspect in which I believe the Demn's game is somewhat better. Mind you, I'm a big fan of the genre, having invested hundred's of hours on both (just like you) with 4 or more playthroughs in each.

So, the weapons ' upgrading and general choice of play is more free on the first game. This is due to the fact that there are more "S" factored weapons than one can find in Dark Souls. This brings variety and freedom of choice. One can build dexterity and can still cleave with mega-amounts of damage, just using a simple "hiltless". Hell, you can even build luck and have a monstrous attack with the "blueblood sword". ...And the most "unique" of it all, you have weapons that exact damage based on character tendency. Pure white or pure black work perfectly with the "Northern Regalia".

On Dark Souls, on the other hand, choices are limited. Sooner or later, you understand that the Black Knight set is the only option. That's why I guess we saw so many players wielding the Black Knight Great Axe in the early days of the game. If I am not mistaken, there has been several updates that brought balance to the choice of melee attacking, but is still not just as free as Demon's was.

The above does not mean that one game is better than the other. A sensible thing, since it wouldn't be enough to judge a game, but it is one aspect in which - and quite objectively - the first game is better than the other.

If I may add, the World Tendency system was more to my liking as it added variety. I especially enjoyed events, like Black Event (during Black Friday week) or White Event (during Christmas week) during which, the whole difficulty of the game was adjusted. But since it's based on "my liking", it can't be called "objective".

kabamarutr said:
Kane1389 said:
No one could possibly make an objective argument as to why Demon's Souls is any way, shape or form better than Dark Souls.

No one.

Now that my turn is up, I shall offer an aspect in which I believe the Demn's game is somewhat better. Mind you, I'm a big fan of the genre, having invested hundred's of hours on both (just like you) with 4 or more playthroughs in each.

So, the weapons ' upgrading and general choice of play is more free on the first game. This is due to the fact that there are more "S" factored weapons than one can find in Dark Souls. This brings variety and freedom of choice. One can build dexterity and can still cleave with mega-amounts of damage, just using a simple "hiltless". Hell, you can even build luck and have a monstrous attack with the "blueblood sword". ...And the most "unique" of it all, you have weapons that exact damage based on character tendency. Pure white or pure black work perfectly with the "Northern Regalia".

On Dark Souls, on the other hand, choices are limited. Sooner or later, you understand that the Black Knight set is the only option. That's why I guess we saw so many players wielding the Black Knight Great Axe in the early days of the game. If I am not mistaken, there has been several updates that brought balance to the choice of melee attacking, but is still not just as free as Demon's was.

The above does not mean that one game is better than the other. A sensible thing, since it wouldn't be enough to judge a game, but it is one aspect in which - and quite objectively - the first game is better than the other.

If I may add, the World Tendency system was more to my liking as it added variety. I especially enjoyed events, like Black Event (during Black Friday week) or White Event (during Christmas week) during which, the whole difficulty of the game was adjusted. But since it's based on "my liking", it can't be called "objective".

I agree with this.

Side note: what do you think of the bosses in Demon's in comparison to Dark?

This was the biggest differenciator to me. Dark's bosses were mostly goliaths that were bigger than you. Demon's utilized humanoid foes more often than not, and they were far more menacing. One day you are fighting the Dragon God and the next you are crossing weapons with Garl Vinland and Maiden Astrea.

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:
kabamarutr said:
Kane1389 said:

No one.

I agree with this.

Side note: what do you think of the bosses in Demon's in comparison to Dark?

This was the biggest differenciator to me. Dark's bosses were mostly goliaths that were bigger than you. Demon's utilized humanoid foes more often than not, and they were far more menacing. One day you are fighting the Dragon God and the next you are crossing weapons with Garl Vinland and Maiden Astrea.

I'll try to be fair here. Bosses was more interesting and harder to beat in Demon's only if you didn't cheat. Each and every boss stage had a blind spot or a trick strategy - apart from flamelurker - that would bring the boss down with no harm done. In consequent playthroughs, I enjoyed reaching the boss worlds because that meant many easy souls. 

What really impressed my on Dark, is the size of the world and the variety in environments. Now that I come to think of it I prefer the Demon's [i[level design[/] from the Dark equivalent. Although the immense vertical sprawl of the Dark world is really impressive, the shortcuts' backtracking make it a bore after several playthroughs.