By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q2 Earnings October 30th - Results Inside

3DS is just on a roll.  Plus when you factor things like the 2DS into the mix (which we didn't know about in the beginning of the year), sales only get better.  As for Wii U, if it ends up somewhere in the 7-8 million range by the end of the year, it won't be quite the remarkable comeback, but it'll do.  If the final numbers are in the 5-6 range then going into 2014 is going to be tough.  It's a really solid console overall that should be doing better and maybe it will turn around.

Around the Network

Pretty good results for Nintendo. Despite the high price and no big releases for the Wii U they are managing to slowly improve their financial results.

With a lower price and an impressive lineup of games for the rest of the year (clearly the Wii U and 3DS have the #1 and #2 lineups for this Q) they are surely going to keep improving, which obviously will infuriate a lot of people here.

With some of the biggest system sellers of all time relased or going to be released in this Q (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario) future couldn't be better for Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:
Pretty good results for Nintendo. Despite the high price and no big releases for the Wii U they are managing to slowly improve their financial results.

With a lower price and an impressive lineup of games for the rest of the year (clearly the Wii U and 3DS have the #1 and #2 lineups for this Q) they are surely going to keep improving, which obviously will infuriate a lot of people here.

With some of the biggest system sellers of all time relased or going to be released in this Q (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario) future couldn't be better for Nintendo and Nintendo fans.

That's an interesting spin to put on it considering Nintendo's own president says the results are dissapointing.

Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Nintendo needs a product that can do everything - to some extent - if they want to expand their business.  The primary reason Wii did not have as long a life span as PS360 is the lack of technical grunt (HD) and 3rd party support.  They made a system that is significantly closer to their competitors than Wii was, while still offering a new and different experience.  Wii had the TV remote-like Wii Remote.  Wii U has the Smartphone-like Gamepad, both were designed to appeal to those not used to a dual analogue controller.  And I think both are a good idea and similar even if many can't see it.  They just haven't done a good idea of marketing it, or of making a game or two that captures the imagination of new and old gamers the way that Wii Sports and Zelda TP did.

This is kind of like saying just because a musician had a hit no.1 song, every song they make should be no.1 as long as its marketed properly and has a catchy tune. 

All things are not created equal, the Wiimote really was a lighting rod that came out at the exact right time and went perfectly for Nintendo for the first few years. 

Replicating that with a new idea was always going to be nigh on impossible. 

Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, Wii Party U, Zombi U, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Rayman Origins, Wonderful 101, Batman: Arkham City, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Just Dance 4, *do* demo the functionality of the Wii U controller, the general public is just not responding. 

In the smartphone world, what the Wii U does simply isn't all that interesting relative to the hundreds of other choices people have nowadays trying to get their attention. 

It's not like saying that at all. I'm saying the approach was the same.  The concept behind Wii wasn't motion controls, it was an interface that non-gamers would find familiar.  The Wii Remote was designed like a TV remote.  The Gamepad, similarily, was designed like a tablet.  Some people say Nintendo got away from what worked, I'm saying they didn't.  I don't know if they will have great success, but I don't think the idea was necesarily a bad one, and so far I think the execution (marketing, key games) has been sub-par compared to Wii.

TheLastStarFighter said:

It's not like saying that at all. I'm saying the approach was the same.  The concept behind Wii wasn't motion controls, it was an interface that non-gamers would find familiar.  The Wii Remote was designed like a TV remote.  The Gamepad, similarily, was designed like a tablet.  Some people say Nintendo got away from what worked, I'm saying they didn't.  I don't know if they will have great success, but I don't think the idea was necesarily a bad one, and so far I think the execution (marketing, key games) has been sub-par compared to Wii.

I, too, think this is the case.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Nintendo needs a product that can do everything - to some extent - if they want to expand their business.  The primary reason Wii did not have as long a life span as PS360 is the lack of technical grunt (HD) and 3rd party support.  They made a system that is significantly closer to their competitors than Wii was, while still offering a new and different experience.  Wii had the TV remote-like Wii Remote.  Wii U has the Smartphone-like Gamepad, both were designed to appeal to those not used to a dual analogue controller.  And I think both are a good idea and similar even if many can't see it.  They just haven't done a good idea of marketing it, or of making a game or two that captures the imagination of new and old gamers the way that Wii Sports and Zelda TP did.

This is kind of like saying just because a musician had a hit no.1 song, every song they make should be no.1 as long as its marketed properly and has a catchy tune. 

All things are not created equal, the Wiimote really was a lighting rod that came out at the exact right time and went perfectly for Nintendo for the first few years. 

Replicating that with a new idea was always going to be nigh on impossible. 

Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, Wii Party U, Zombi U, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Rayman Origins, Wonderful 101, Batman: Arkham City, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Just Dance 4, *do* demo the functionality of the Wii U controller, the general public is just not responding. 

In the smartphone world, what the Wii U does simply isn't all that interesting relative to the hundreds of other choices people have nowadays trying to get their attention. 

I'm sorry but the Wiimote and Wii U tablet are very, very (verrrrrry) different devices. I think you're reaching by trying to equate them as being similar. 

The Wii had tremendous buzz for it even before TV commercials and the main marketing kicked in. I remember having female friends who never would buy a game console in a million years coming up to me and asking me about it before a single TV ad had aired. On launch day, even before there were a ton of TV spots for it, there were line ups around the store for them. 

The Wii didn't succeed because of marketing, it succeeded because the idea was so incredibly mind blowing to a lot of people at the time and the word of mouth from people using spread like wild fire. Wii U tablet is just another video game controller. It's fun, but no one's dying to tell their friends about it over the water cooler during lunch break at work.

The Wiimote was a very, very rare type of occurance. Nintendo can run TV ads all day and they'll never get the same response, not to mention functionally they are very different devices. The whole point of the Wii Remote was to get you off the couch and up on your feet, moving around. The Wii U tablet brings it back to the sitting on the couch and has like 50 buttons on it. 

In the year 2013, a game controller with a low resolution 6 inch touch panel isn't very interesting at all. It's kind of predictable actually. 

IsawYoshi said:
Arius Dion said:

IsawYoshi said:

Embarrassing nontheless. The reason the nubers are this low is the wii u sales, and they are embarrassing too. Why wouldn't the loss be? 

I'm expecting Iwata to be leaving his throne within 2015 if they don't sharpen up in a good maner. I kinda doubt they will though.

I'm doubtful any one will be reprimanded, demoted, punished or outright fired. When's the last time any one at Nintendo was let go for flops and bad business decisions? To go from making hands over fist money with the Wii, breaking records and the like, to now losing money and having a stinker on their hands with the Wii U, someone should be looking at a shake up within the company.

The investor Q&A should be very interesting. 

Then again, how many times have there been any bad business decisions within Nintendo? Virtual boy, sure, but there are so many reasons for the VB's failure, and one of them is that Nintendo wanted it to be out of the way before the N64 launched. 

Some might claim that when Nintendo "created" the Playstation by leaving Sony at the altar was a gigantic mistake, but there was a reason that made Nintendo do that.

Just because you did thing well before doesn't give you a free pass now. As you guys have mentioned though, the board is pretty similar to Iwata, and Iwata might even be the best one for Nintendo, but the investors are probably getting tired of Iwata. I suppose Vinni knows more than me about that though. 

The VB is the most glaring, obviously. But the N64 flopped everywhere but the US and the Gamecube was also a collosal failure WW. GC's failure birthed the Wii. Actually, Nintendo dumping Sony was a wise move. Sony didn't want to partner with Nintendo, they basically wanted to own Nintendo.

All I'm saying is, this party time attitude inside Nintendo with execs and devs dressing like cats, remaking past failed games and devs having free reign to explore their inner picaso is over. Their financials since Wii U released have been in the toilet, changes are needed.

And going further, if they think a 3D Mario, an upressed Wii Sports and another Wii Fit are going to change their fortunes, they will be mistaken.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Soundwave, I highly doubt that by drastic changes, Iwata ment exiting the console business. He more then likely ment a drastic changes in terms of marketing strategy, software appeal and most probably start thinking (like you said) of making an SKU without the gamepad.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

benji232 said:
Soundwave, I highly doubt that by drastic changes, Iwata ment exiting the console business. He more then likely ment a drastic changes in terms of marketing strategy, software appeal and most probably start thinking (like you said) of making an SKU without the gamepad.

I never said they would exit the console business.

These are bad financial results no matter how you spin it. 3ds hardware shipments are down YOY and wiiU is selling very poorly. We can expect a much better 3rd quarter though with the natural holiday boost and with the release of pokemon XY and SM3DW.

Also, they shipped 2.4million copies of animal crossing outside of Japan, vgchartz is undertracking the game by a lot.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M