By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q2 Earnings October 30th - Results Inside

Mr Khan said:
Arius Dion said:
IsawYoshi said:

Embarrassing nontheless. The reason the nubers are this low is the wii u sales, and they are embarrassing too. Why wouldn't the loss be? 

I'm expecting Iwata to be leaving his throne within 2015 if they don't sharpen up in a good maner. I kinda doubt they will though.

I'm doubtful any one will be reprimanded, demoted, punished or outright fired. When's the last time any one at Nintendo was let go for flops and bad business decisions? To go from making hands over fist money with the Wii, breaking records and the like, to now losing money and having a stinker on their hands with the Wii U, someone should be looking at a shake up within the company.

The investor Q&A should be very interesting. 

Who would replace him, though? A recent GAF thread discussed that the board of directors is almost entirely stacked with people favorable to Iwata (there is one person alone who may have differing opinions, possibly). Unless Yamauchi's shares go to Arakawa and Arakawa himself decides to seize control, a leadership shakeup would make no difference in terms of direction. It's like all the Americans yelling "impeach Obama" when what that would get them... is President Joe Biden.

Aside from the fact that Nintendo's doing what they can with the Wii U. It is not a poor product, but it has been poorly executed so far, and some of those factors (third party flight) being ultimately out of Nintendo's hands, they're doing what they can: cut price and bundle winning software and wait for more good software to come. Not sure what the anti-Wii U crowd wants, here (cutting the Wii U short and replacing it quickly is the recipe to kill Nintendo's reputation altogether, as not standing by their hardware is really what killed Sega, the lack of confidence from the CD, 32X, and Saturn).

We also forget when Sony was losing money hand over fist with the PS3 (and they were selling more units at the time), and managed to turn it around. Granted, because they had the third parties all running interference for them, but surely Nintendo could manage a somewhat similar turnaround.

What do you think about Rol?..would he get Nintendo back on track?

Around the Network
justinian said:
Mr Khan said:
Kresnik said:
Mr Khan said:

It's largely because it takes a long time to build up capacity at Nintendo if you don't want to go around just running buyouts (as that's a total crapshoot as to whether the buyout will pay off). Nintendo's key weakness is in *capacity*, which they are addressing, but doing so purely internally takes a while. It's only next year that their new Kyoto building will roll around.

Changes for the future, meanwhile, do not necessitate changes in management. This is, basically, the same crew that brought us the Wii and the DS. Surely they can learn lessons without people having to be fired (which, again, wouldn't really change anything).

People change. Their ideas and motivation change. It doesn't matter what they did in the past, it's about the here and now. Maybe they were right for that time.

I like Iwata as he seems a nice person - I mean, how may CEOs will take a pay cut so people get to keep their jobs - but business is like war and right now this general is losing his men fast.

The landscape in elecontrics entertainment 6-7 years ago when Nintendo was pioneering the blue ocean strategy was radically different too. There was no iPhone or any real entertainment-centric smartphones. There were mainstream tablets. Sony/MS were completely focused on chasing the hardcore gamer. 

Nintendo had a wide open avenue for success by targeting more casuals with a different approach. 

Things are just far more difficult today. 

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

I think banking on Wii Party/Fit/Sports Club this holiday to sell consoles is a mistake. People aren't going to pay $300 to experience that ... that was 5-7 years ago now, people have moved on to other things and if they want that type of experience they can always dust off their existing Wii. You can see for example Just Dance isn't putting up big numbers on the Wii U ... why buy a Wii U to play that game when you can get it on your existing Wii? 

Mario needs some help and Nintendo isn't giving it to him, it's like a sports team that's asking its star player to do everything and exhausting him while not putting a good team around him so that he can win.

It's more like a team owner that left the stadium to rot. While people don't dislike the team, they don't want to set a foot in that junkyard of a stadium in order to see the team play.

I am pretty sure that if Nintendo accompanied SM3DW with Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox, you would call it an amazing lineup that is guaranteed to kickstart the Wii U.

That would be an amazing lineup for me since I love F-Zero and Star Fox more than even Zelda, but even that wouldn't neccessarily be the greatest lineup because it would be selling to the same core group of Nintendo faithful.

Why not try a new franchise? One that was marketable? Nintendo's far too conservative with their software lineup. Even with the casual games ... Brain Training and Nintendogs and Wii Sports were completely new ideas for the time, it's odd that they're not trying that many new off the wall concepts either. They seem scared of the smartphone boom. 

Arius Dion said:

IsawYoshi said:

Embarrassing nontheless. The reason the nubers are this low is the wii u sales, and they are embarrassing too. Why wouldn't the loss be? 

I'm expecting Iwata to be leaving his throne within 2015 if they don't sharpen up in a good maner. I kinda doubt they will though.

I'm doubtful any one will be reprimanded, demoted, punished or outright fired. When's the last time any one at Nintendo was let go for flops and bad business decisions? To go from making hands over fist money with the Wii, breaking records and the like, to now losing money and having a stinker on their hands with the Wii U, someone should be looking at a shake up within the company.

The investor Q&A should be very interesting. 

Then again, how many times have there been any bad business decisions within Nintendo? Virtual boy, sure, but there are so many reasons for the VB's failure, and one of them is that Nintendo wanted it to be out of the way before the N64 launched. 

Some might claim that when Nintendo "created" the Playstation by leaving Sony at the altar was a gigantic mistake, but there was a reason that made Nintendo do that.

Just because you did thing well before doesn't give you a free pass now. As you guys have mentioned though, the board is pretty similar to Iwata, and Iwata might even be the best one for Nintendo, but the investors are probably getting tired of Iwata. I suppose Vinni knows more than me about that though. 

Soundwave said:
justinian said:
Mr Khan said:
Kresnik said:
Mr Khan said:

It's largely because it takes a long time to build up capacity at Nintendo if you don't want to go around just running buyouts (as that's a total crapshoot as to whether the buyout will pay off). Nintendo's key weakness is in *capacity*, which they are addressing, but doing so purely internally takes a while. It's only next year that their new Kyoto building will roll around.

Changes for the future, meanwhile, do not necessitate changes in management. This is, basically, the same crew that brought us the Wii and the DS. Surely they can learn lessons without people having to be fired (which, again, wouldn't really change anything).

People change. Their ideas and motivation change. It doesn't matter what they did in the past, it's about the here and now. Maybe they were right for that time.

I like Iwata as he seems a nice person - I mean, how may CEOs will take a pay cut so people get to keep their jobs - but business is like war and right now this general is losing his men fast.

The landscape in elecontrics entertainment 6-7 years ago when Nintendo was pioneering the blue ocean strategy was radically different too. There was no iPhone or any real entertainment-centric smartphones. There were mainstream tablets. Sony/MS were completely focused on chasing the hardcore gamer. 

Nintendo had a wide open avenue for success by targeting more casuals with a different approach. 

Things are just far more difficult today. 

Thank you. You have nicely explained what I meant by "they were right for the time".  Iwata reminds me of the French generals in 1940. Well train and qualified for warfare up to that point, but the Germans had taken a leap into "nextgen" warfare.

Sony pretty much rebranded the PS3 when that new guy came in with fresh ideas and saved it from what was looking like sure disaster.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Kresnik said:
Mr Khan said:

(...)

The same crew who brought us the PS1 & PS2 also brought us the PS3.  Past successess; although often a good measure; do not equal future stability.  I do not think much that line of reasoning.  Look at what they're doing now, not what they did in the past (heck, even this "crew" don't seem to be able to look what gave them success in the past).

(...)

In Nintendo's case, it's basically the same crew that also brought us the GameCube. Which means that they are people who could correctly analyze problems and come up with a solution. Of course it's damning that they fell into the trap to pick things up where the GC left off, but if they could accept the GC as a failure that made change necessary, there are realistic chances that they will accept the Wii U as a failure and change course for the ninth generation.

I meant to make that point as well. What's important is that they correctly identified why the GameCube did poorly and rectified it, but then threw out a product that tried to do everything instead of doing what they do well after that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
RolStoppable said:
In Nintendo's case, it's basically the same crew that also brought us the GameCube. Which means that they are people who could correctly analyze problems and come up with a solution. Of course it's damning that they fell into the trap to pick things up where the GC left off, but if they could accept the GC as a failure that made change necessary, there are realistic chances that they will accept the Wii U as a failure and change course for the ninth generation.

I meant to make that point as well. What's important is that they correctly identified why the GameCube did poorly and rectified it, but then threw out a product that tried to do everything instead of doing what they do well after that.

Nintendo needs a product that can do everything - to some extent - if they want to expand their business.  The primary reason Wii did not have as long a life span as PS360 is the lack of technical grunt (HD) and 3rd party support.  They made a system that is significantly closer to their competitors than Wii was, while still offering a new and different experience.  Wii had the TV remote-like Wii Remote.  Wii U has the Smartphone-like Gamepad, both were designed to appeal to those not used to a dual analogue controller.  And I think both are a good idea and similar even if many can't see it.  They just haven't done a good idea of marketing it, or of making a game or two that captures the imagination of new and old gamers the way that Wii Sports and Zelda TP did.

From Iwata's comments it sounds like they are giving the Wii U up until the end of this fiscal year, if it doesn't perform, radical changes are going to be coming.

Perhaps they are prepping an exit strategy or more drastic measures like indeed a tablet-less SKU.

I am not sure how Iwata can keep saying the 9 million target for the Wii U's fiscal year with a straight face still though. 

TheLastStarFighter said:
Mr Khan said:
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo needs a product that can do everything - to some extent - if they want to expand their business.  The primary reason Wii did not have as long a life span as PS360 is the lack of technical grunt (HD) and 3rd party support.  They made a system that is significantly closer to their competitors than Wii was, while still offering a new and different experience.  Wii had the TV remote-like Wii Remote.  Wii U has the Smartphone-like Gamepad, both were designed to appeal to those not used to a dual analogue controller.  And I think both are a good idea and similar even if many can't see it.  They just haven't done a good idea of marketing it, or of making a game or two that captures the imagination of new and old gamers the way that Wii Sports and Zelda TP did.

This is kind of like saying just because a musician had a hit no.1 song, every song they make should be no.1 as long as its marketed properly and has a catchy tune. 

All things are not created equal, the Wiimote really was a lighting rod that came out at the exact right time and went perfectly for Nintendo for the first few years. 

Replicating that with a new idea was always going to be nigh on impossible. 

Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, Wii Party U, Zombi U, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Rayman Origins, Wonderful 101, Batman: Arkham City, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Just Dance 4, *do* demo the functionality of the Wii U controller, the general public is just not responding. 

In the smartphone world, what the Wii U does simply isn't all that interesting relative to the hundreds of other choices people have nowadays trying to get their attention. 

Soundwave said:

From Iwata's comments it sounds like they are giving the Wii U up until the end of this fiscal year, if it doesn't perform, radical changes are going to be coming.

Perhaps they are prepping an exit strategy or more drastic measures like indeed a tablet-less SKU.

I am not sure how Iwata can keep saying the 9 million target for the Wii U's fiscal year with a straight face still though. 

I wonder what some of the radical changes could be...by 'exit strategy', do you mean ditch the Wii U?