By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q2 Earnings October 30th - Results Inside

Arius Dion said:
IsawYoshi said:
Arius Dion said:

IsawYoshi said:

Embarrassing nontheless. The reason the nubers are this low is the wii u sales, and they are embarrassing too. Why wouldn't the loss be? 

I'm expecting Iwata to be leaving his throne within 2015 if they don't sharpen up in a good maner. I kinda doubt they will though.

I'm doubtful any one will be reprimanded, demoted, punished or outright fired. When's the last time any one at Nintendo was let go for flops and bad business decisions? To go from making hands over fist money with the Wii, breaking records and the like, to now losing money and having a stinker on their hands with the Wii U, someone should be looking at a shake up within the company.

The investor Q&A should be very interesting. 

Then again, how many times have there been any bad business decisions within Nintendo? Virtual boy, sure, but there are so many reasons for the VB's failure, and one of them is that Nintendo wanted it to be out of the way before the N64 launched. 

Some might claim that when Nintendo "created" the Playstation by leaving Sony at the altar was a gigantic mistake, but there was a reason that made Nintendo do that.

Just because you did thing well before doesn't give you a free pass now. As you guys have mentioned though, the board is pretty similar to Iwata, and Iwata might even be the best one for Nintendo, but the investors are probably getting tired of Iwata. I suppose Vinni knows more than me about that though. 

The VB is the most glaring, obviously. But the N64 flopped everywhere but the US and the Gamecube was also a collosal failure WW. GC's failure birthed the Wii. Actually, Nintendo dumping Sony was a wise move. Sony didn't want to partner with Nintendo, they basically wanted to own Nintendo.

All I'm saying is, this party time attitude inside Nintendo with execs and devs dressing like cats, remaking past failed games and devs having free reign to explore their inner picaso is over. Their financials since Wii U released have been in the toilet, changes are needed.

And going further, if they think a 3D Mario, an upressed Wii Sports and another Wii Fit are going to change their fortunes, they will be mistaken.

Don't underestimate 3D World. 3D Land did a lot of the heavy lifting for 3DS holiday 2011 (moreso than Mario Kart and about equal to Tri G in Japan)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
benji232 said:
These are bad financial results no matter how you spin it. 3ds hardware shipments are down YOY and wiiU is selling very poorly. We can expect a much better 3rd quarter though with the natural holiday boost and with the release of pokemon XY and SM3DW.

Also, they shipped 2.4million copies of animal crossing outside of Japan, vgchartz is undertracking the game by a lot.

That's pretty impressive, 3DS seems to be chugging along just fine with its software sales.

Soundwave said:
benji232 said:
Soundwave, I highly doubt that by drastic changes, Iwata ment exiting the console business. He more then likely ment a drastic changes in terms of marketing strategy, software appeal and most probably start thinking (like you said) of making an SKU without the gamepad.

I never said they would exit the console business.

My bad then, I thought that by *exit strategy* you meant exit the console business. I misunderstood sorry :P.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Mr Khan said:
Arius Dion said:
IsawYoshi said:
Arius Dion said:

IsawYoshi said:

Embarrassing nontheless. The reason the nubers are this low is the wii u sales, and they are embarrassing too. Why wouldn't the loss be? 

I'm expecting Iwata to be leaving his throne within 2015 if they don't sharpen up in a good maner. I kinda doubt they will though.

I'm doubtful any one will be reprimanded, demoted, punished or outright fired. When's the last time any one at Nintendo was let go for flops and bad business decisions? To go from making hands over fist money with the Wii, breaking records and the like, to now losing money and having a stinker on their hands with the Wii U, someone should be looking at a shake up within the company.

The investor Q&A should be very interesting. 

Then again, how many times have there been any bad business decisions within Nintendo? Virtual boy, sure, but there are so many reasons for the VB's failure, and one of them is that Nintendo wanted it to be out of the way before the N64 launched. 

Some might claim that when Nintendo "created" the Playstation by leaving Sony at the altar was a gigantic mistake, but there was a reason that made Nintendo do that.

Just because you did thing well before doesn't give you a free pass now. As you guys have mentioned though, the board is pretty similar to Iwata, and Iwata might even be the best one for Nintendo, but the investors are probably getting tired of Iwata. I suppose Vinni knows more than me about that though. 

The VB is the most glaring, obviously. But the N64 flopped everywhere but the US and the Gamecube was also a collosal failure WW. GC's failure birthed the Wii. Actually, Nintendo dumping Sony was a wise move. Sony didn't want to partner with Nintendo, they basically wanted to own Nintendo.

All I'm saying is, this party time attitude inside Nintendo with execs and devs dressing like cats, remaking past failed games and devs having free reign to explore their inner picaso is over. Their financials since Wii U released have been in the toilet, changes are needed.

And going further, if they think a 3D Mario, an upressed Wii Sports and another Wii Fit are going to change their fortunes, they will be mistaken.

Don't underestimate 3D World. 3D Land did a lot of the heavy lifting for 3DS holiday 2011 (moreso than Mario Kart and about equal to Tri G in Japan)

A lot of people having 3D Land may hurt 3D World, because I think if you already have a 3D Mario for the 3DS, maybe the feeling is "do I really need to pay another $300 + $60 for this?". 

Probably won't hurt as much as NSMB2/NSMBU, but I think there will be an impact. Nintendo's milked Mario too much lately, they are going to hit a point of diminishing returns. That said 3D World looks great and is my personal most wanted game of the year, but from a sales POV I see a lot of holes in this arguement. 

The other problem is there's no "other big title". The 3DS got a $80 price reduction to much more "impulse buy" price of $170 and had Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter Tri G for Japan. Mario 3D World has ... Wii Fit U as it's sidekick title ... not looking good IMO. 

just ordered zelda windwaker hd and 3d mario world, waiting for good wii u deals next month

Around the Network
Turkish said:
just ordered zelda windwaker hd and 3d mario world, waiting for good wii u deals next month

You did good. Mario Bundle coming out at 299.99$ tomorrow. Wait for Black Friday maybe for gift cards to be included most likely.

Investors meeting currently:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 1.19 million
Mario & Luigi Dream Team - 1.37 million
Luigi's Mansion LTD - 3.13 million
Tomodachi LTD - 1.63 million

I saw this coming since Pikimin 3 did decently and Wonderful 101 flopped but hopefully things improve next quarter and they make back what they lost this quarter.

Shadow1980 said:
Arius Dion said:

How do we define "flop" and "failure"? Is it a specific sales threshold? Undisputed commercial hardware failures include the 3DO (2 million units sold), Jaguar (<250,000 sold), the Virtual Boy (770,000 sold), the CD-i (less than a million sold). By comparison, the GameCube's nearly 22 million tally is rather decent, and even the 12 million N64s sold outside of North America fares well by comparison. While neither system lived up to the sales of their predecessors, they still far outsold all of the also-rans in gaming history, whether they be abject failures like the Jaguar or even systems like the Master System, Turbo-Grafx 16, Sega Saturn, and every second-gen system that wasn't the Atari 2600.

As we can see, finding an exact sales threshold that determines "success" is difficult if not impossible. What about other criteria? What were Nintendo's goals? What could we really have realistically expected from those systems, the conditions of their respective generations being what they were (e.g., the GameCube was pitted against the PS2, which had already shipped 20 million units before the GC even launched)? We do know that the GameCube was profitable, as unlike other systems it was never sold at a loss. This arguably makes it more successful than the Xbox, which, while it sold over 2 million more units than the GC, was never profitable. It also had the best attach rate of any Nintendo system ever, and as a consequence lifetime software sales were only about 7% less than that of the N64 despite hardware sales being 34% less. While the GC was indisputably Nintendo's least popular home console, I think calling it an outright failure is a bit of a stretch.

Finally, I have no idea why you think so poorly of SM3DW. Mario is a proven system-seller, and this new one is generating a lot of buzz. It's also been shooting up the rankings on Amazon and elsewhere. I have no doubts it will quickly become the best-selling game on the system so far. If WWHD could move a decent number of units, then SM3DW could move a lot more. It's coming out on Black Friday week, which could help boost sales that week even higher. Given how other systems typically perform on Black Friday, I think that week will see the Wii U shift around 500k units worldwide that week alone.

Oh, and I hope that "remaking past failed games" crack wasn't levied against Wind Waker. It sold nearly 5 million copies, which is a solid figure which puts it in the top 30 titles of the sixth generation.

I'll keep this brief.

1) N64 was a massive decline fom the SNES, Gamecube was a massive decline from the N64. N64 was a flop everywhere outside of the US, look at the numbers dude. Gamecube flopped WW. And Wind Waker was a massive decline from OoT. Additionally, Wind Waker failed to give Gamecube any significant hardware boost. The Gamecube sold 22m..World Wide! N64 sold more than that in the US alone.

I'm not looking at things in any other context other than business. I'm a fan of many N64 games, but seperating my own personal experiences and looking at things objectively, the numbers speak for themselves.

I'm amazed at how the Gamecube a decade later is spoken of as if it was a fantastic console. It was crap, it was crapped on and made fun of. It made Nintendo a joke in the console space, and its failure birthed the Wii. But I loved REmake, RE4 and Prime! : )

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I, myself, will be buying if and when it dips. With Smash and Mario Kart around the corner it would be stupid not to.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto