By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q2 Earnings October 30th - Results Inside

TheLastStarFighter said:

That would be the one!  I can remember that vividly from back then, and it's interesting that they delivered.

I hope that the Wii U can catch up... I think it can surpass the Gamecube sales, I don't want Nintendo going away .

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
IsawYoshi said:
Arius Dion said:

I'm doubtful any one will be reprimanded, demoted, punished or outright fired. When's the last time any one at Nintendo was let go for flops and bad business decisions? To go from making hands over fist money with the Wii, breaking records and the like, to now losing money and having a stinker on their hands with the Wii U, someone should be looking at a shake up within the company.

The investor Q&A should be very interesting. 

Then again, how many times have there been any bad business decisions within Nintendo? Virtual boy, sure, but there are so many reasons for the VB's failure, and one of them is that Nintendo wanted it to be out of the way before the N64 launched. 

Some might claim that when Nintendo "created" the Playstation by leaving Sony at the altar was a gigantic mistake, but there was a reason that made Nintendo do that.

Just because you did thing well before doesn't give you a free pass now. As you guys have mentioned though, the board is pretty similar to Iwata, and Iwata might even be the best one for Nintendo, but the investors are probably getting tired of Iwata. I suppose Vinni knows more than me about that though. 

The VB is the most glaring, obviously. But the N64 flopped everywhere but the US and the Gamecube was also a collosal failure WW. GC's failure birthed the Wii. Actually, Nintendo dumping Sony was a wise move. Sony didn't want to partner with Nintendo, they basically wanted to own Nintendo.

All I'm saying is, this party time attitude inside Nintendo with execs and devs dressing like cats, remaking past failed games and devs having free reign to explore their inner picaso is over. Their financials since Wii U released have been in the toilet, changes are needed.

And going further, if they think a 3D Mario, an upressed Wii Sports and another Wii Fit are going to change their fortunes, they will be mistaken.

As I said, they kinda needed to get the VB out of the way. I doubt that Nintendo ever expected much from it. It's not like they didn't know that people thatused it got headaches instantly, not to mention the fact that it had pretty horrible software support, wass expencive and so on. 

The N64 wasn't a big flop anywhere other than Japan, but it was a horrible flop there. The N64 actually only sold 2 millions less than the SNES in Europe. And they could fire Iwata at the time, he had just gotten in, and you can't flip things around that shortly. Basicly they haven't really had any opportunities to fire excecutives upto this point. I suppose they could have with the N64, but their president was after all Yamauchi. 

I agree with the rest.

Anfebious said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

That would be the one!  I can remember that vividly from back then, and it's interesting that they delivered.

I hope that the Wii U can catch up... I think it can surpass the Gamecube sales, I don't want Nintendo going away .

I wouldn't worry about either one at this stage.  Nintendo is in a very different place than with the Gamecube.  More cash, more market share, more presence... and Sony is far less dominant.  There is effectively a 2 year swing in launch date with Wii U and GC.  GC launched a year after PS2 while Wii U launched a year before.  So Wii U basically has 2 years to fart around before it is even begining GC's situation.  And even if Wii U totally flops, Nintendo has the cash to shrug it off and re-evaluate things.