By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is Beyond officially the flop of the year now?

Zero999 said:
Seece said:
I'd say Wonderful 101 at less than 50k WW is. 300k for a game like Beyond is alright IMO.

300k on an installed base 20x+ bigger.

You compare sales of one week with sales of several weeks.

13,620 (1st week sales of W101) x 20 ist still under 300k.

And calling any game/movie/whatever a flop after merely ONE WEEK is crazy.

First week sales tell, if the PR guys have done their jobs right (creating a hype), the following weeks tell, if the developers have done their jobs right.

Around the Network

Y'know I only ever see attach used for games when the console has a small install base, don't really ever see it once the console is at the middle or end of its life. I think that's because attach rate isn't really constant. The absolute total sales a franchise achieves are much more consistent than attach rate. I mean sure you can praise WiiU owners for on proportion buying more copies of SC than the HD console owners did, but doesn't the fact that the WiiU owners had less options come into play?

At some point I'll have to look at some established franchises to see how consistent and meaningful attach rate really is. Sure you can make the argument that attach rate is more important for new IPs, but that's impossible to compare and I'd counter with the idea that not having a giant library of titles to choose from has a similar affect to install base.

so beyond isn't a niche genre now,500,000 fw would have been above and beyond so 300,000 isn't too bad

i went down to my shop to get it but it was still £45 as was GTAV i can wait for both to come down in price personally,

Above & Beyond

wow. 1 whole week? I wonder if it will even sell any more copies after the first week. PS3 is dead too.

r.i.p. beyond. 300k lifetime sales confirmed.

Zero999 said:
Seece said:
I'd say Wonderful 101 at less than 50k WW is. 300k for a game like Beyond is alright IMO.

300k on an installed base 20x+ bigger.

I know userbase is extremely important but look what we have here.  Beyond is a cinematic single player game with a female lead character.  We live in an age where online multiplayer action and gunplay rule the market.  It's good to sell to a huge userbase but, from a business point of view, it's more important to know your audience.  Many Wii games flopped hard despite having the biggest userbase because the games simply didn't appeal to the Wii's main audience.  Beyond falls into that category.  There are a ton of PS3 owners but when confronted with Grand Theft Auto 5 and Beyond 2 Souls, the latter never stood a chance.  I think Beyond is doing very well and I still expect it to sell well to fans.

Around the Network

300K for a game on an 80 million install base is bad, not a "flop" though, simply bad.

ListerOfSmeg said:
Well I think you have to look at the hype behind each game. Beyond, like most PS games, was called AAA must own. I don't recall many people saying the same for W101 or Puppeteer. Both were consider niche titles especially W101. Platinum games are not known for great sales so I doubt anyone expected it to be a chart buster.
Also have to look at the install base. W101 was on a console with an install base of 3.5 million. Beyond was on a console with 80million.
Last thing we need to consider is budget. Beyond had the highest budget out of any of the other games being mentioned.
I would say when all the facts are considered its easy to see the game flopped pretty hard.

Wonderful 101 received plenty of promotion from Nintendo in 2012; then just fell off the face of the earth in 2013, before release.  It seems like last year everyone was considering W101 a big title, then as we drew closer to release and people realised it wasn't going to sell well, expectations changed.

Also, do you have any evidence that Beyond's budget was higher?  As I recall, we've had no information about Puppeteer's budget; and all we know about W101 is supposedly that it's "1.5x Bayonetta", a game which failed to break even at ~ 1 million sold.

Zero999 said:

maybe because FW sales for the wii u version in america were half the US preorders numbers IN FEBRUARY?

Just a small piece of advice: If you're using VGChartz pre-order numbers, don't.  They're by far and away the most unreliable source of information on the site.

Kresnik said:
Zero999 said:

maybe because FW sales for the wii u version in america were half the US preorders numbers IN FEBRUARY?

Just a small piece of advice: If you're using VGChartz pre-order numbers, don't.  They're by far and away the most unreliable source of information on the site.

Maybe. but for such a difference between preorders in february and FW sales in september, it clearly shows that the wii u version sales would have been a lot better in february. the ps360 ports could have been announced later and sell the same as they did. win win.

Oh fuck yes, oh how Insomniac have fallen since they went cross platform