By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is Beyond officially the flop of the year now?

Lyrikalstylez said:
Why do people still insist that if Rayman legends stayed wii u exclusive it would have sold more? Face it, it wouldn't have in fact it would have sold far less! If sonic lost worlds flopped, Rayman legends would have even more...
Nothing other than Nintendo games will sell well...

maybe because FW sales for the wii u version in america were half the US preorders numbers IN FEBRUARY?

"If sonic lost worlds flopped, Rayman legends would have even more". sonic LW? the game that only released in europe so far and we don't even have the numbers?

Around the Network

Lost Planet 3, Fuse, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel and Remember Me are the biggest flops this year.

I'm enjoying Beyond two souls so far, not sure why reviews are so down on the game. The chase sequence was very well done. Sure it's not the best movie writing but compared to the likes of the average TV show I prefer this. Hate the director, not the game.

It is 'Beyond' that. Just kiddin'. I'll probably get it in about a year 'cause I'm a cheap whore.

ListerOfSmeg said:
Well I think you have to look at the hype behind each game. Beyond, like most PS games, was called AAA must own. I don't recall many people saying the same for W101 or Puppeteer. Both were consider niche titles especially W101. Platinum games are not known for great sales so I doubt anyone expected it to be a chart buster.
Also have to look at the install base. W101 was on a console with an install base of 3.5 million. Beyond was on a console with 80million.
Last thing we need to consider is budget. Beyond had the highest budget out of any of the other games being mentioned.
I would say when all the facts are considered its easy to see the game flopped pretty hard.

Do you even know how much W101 budget was? If not than you shouldn't make assumptions   Pluss 10k which w101 sold is probably less than 1% of Wii u owners which is abysmal 

Around the Network
PlayMatt said:
And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k

It's actually "the old" Zelda game, and it only took 1 week for WWHD to reach 300k. and that's on an installed base around 22x smaller.

chapset said:
Mr Khan said:
chapset said:

thread derailement? you bring the same old excuses everytime a third party game fail on a Nintendo system the ol ''it's either malice or incompetance'' mombo jumbo

Derailment, by picking on one version in particular. You have a history of this.

And again, you attempt to dismiss me. Present an argument.

jesus christ aren't you something, the wii U version sold 30k compaired to the x360 version is at 500k and the ps3 is at 400k how is that derailement, the game under perform on all platforms but it's clearly ''flop of the year worthy on the wii U'' and just like you said ''Advertising evidence is always anecdotal based on where you live and what media you consume'' , it's true the wii U version was the inferior port yet it wasn't broken enough to explain the 30k. And my point to why it could be flop of the year is because how Ubisoft reacted to the sales changing their tunes from very good support for the wii U to their biggest games missing features (dlc,online...) because they lost confidence on how much those games will sale. but no!!!! it must be a conspiracy theory started by EA to Doomed the wii U right?!?

Seems about proportional to userbase size to me. While doing about 3x as well as it did would have been better, Ubisoft clearly needs to manage their expectations (no reason ZombiU couldn't make a profit at the level it sold, not like it had over-the-top production values or anything).

And that failure to manage expectations leads to them shooting themselves in the foot, which *will* cause their games to fail on Wii U.

Again, they either decided to ditch the Wii U for whatever reason (and this was way back in February, really, with the cheap shot from Rayman Legends), and are now just phoning it in to justify future abandonment, or they have no clue what they're doing.

In EA's case, it's clear that it's all about the butthurt. Ubisoft, with their history of odd decisions, could just be making some more strange choices.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Beyond was not even close to the biggest flop. The true candidates were already mentioned. Fuse is a good solid flop, and my vote would go to W101.

And I'm sorry, but the comments singling out Splinter Cell on Wii U as a flop are just plain stupid. SC was a moderate flop all around, but it had a better attach rate on Wii U than on other systems. Does this mean that PS360 owners don't like 3rd party games? LMAO. Ubisoft questions Wii U support for the same reason SC sold only 30k on Wii U.... there aren't enough Wii U's out there. But saying SC was a flop on Wii U was either a statement with no real thought put into it or an attempt to piss off Wii U people. Lame either way.

ListerOfSmeg said:
Well I think you have to look at the hype behind each game. Beyond, like most PS games, was called AAA must own. I don't recall many people saying the same for W101 or Puppeteer. Both were consider niche titles especially W101. Platinum games are not known for great sales so I doubt anyone expected it to be a chart buster.
Also have to look at the install base. W101 was on a console with an install base of 3.5 million. Beyond was on a console with 80million.
Last thing we need to consider is budget. Beyond had the highest budget out of any of the other games being mentioned.
I would say when all the facts are considered its easy to see the game flopped pretty hard.

I'm a guy that actually likes to bash the PS3 (despite actually owning one) and I'm still a huge fan of cinematic games like Beyond.  Either I should be taking pride in calling out "PS3 fanboys" for their unrealistic expectations or I should have been hyping the game up prior to release.  I just don't remember anybody hyping this game beyond graphical prowess.  Even CGI, one of our biggest Sony supporters and fellow cinematic game fan approached this game with realistic expectations.  I just don't see where this game was over-hyped like PASBR (failed to live up to fanboy expectations) or Last of Us (succeeded) or anything.  Honestly, I think Beyond is doing about as well as expected. 

This has honestly been the year of the flop, and in the grand scheme of things I actually think Beyond: Two Souls did much better than the vast majority of other titles.

Take your pick from multi-plats like Fuse; Army of Two; Lost Planet 3; Remember Me for bigger flops.

Take your pick from exclusives like Wonderful 101; Puppeteer or Killzone Mercenary for bigger flops.

So no. I wouldn't say Beyond was flop of the year at all.