By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is Beyond officially the flop of the year now?

Mr Khan said:
PlayMatt said:
m0ney said:
PlayMatt said:
I agree, comparing a brand new IP nobody has ever heard of, to one of the oldest and most acclaimed IPs in the videogame world is foolish...

I am willing to bet that even your mom heard of Beyond. And as beatles1082 is saying old and acclaimed IP can't sell much on a console that few people own.

Well speaking for myself... I've never seen any Beyond 2 Souls advertisement until now! Only seen the premier thing* on the movie theater and the trailers at the expos (which mostly only hardcore gamers watch)... And a lot of ads for Wonderful 101, IGN was full of it! Every video was sponsored by Wonderful 101 and look at it's sales... Also Zelda Wind Waker HD had a lot of ads even VGChartz became dominated by it for some days!

Advertising evidence is always anecdotal based on where you live and what media you consume. I've seen a few TV ads for Beyond, on Comedy Central, i think.

Fair enough... But that doesn't make this game a flop... We can count on fingers how many niche New IPS sold more then 300k on PS3... LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, Uncharted, Demon's Souls are examples of franchises that did great on the long time, but not that good on first week!

2013 got many bigger flops like Remember Me, Fuse, ...

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

Around the Network

nah, in reviews maybe but its opened not much less than HR and should have decent legs

Is 300k first week really a flop? I'm expecting 1.5 mil lifetime which is respectable for an experimental game.

Probably would've been easier to turn a profit if it wasn't for the Hollywood talent.

attaboy said:
tiffac said:
attaboy said:

Reviews suggest that, despite the big stars, it's not a AAA game.  Also, as a generation draws to a close, there are TONS of other options for the gaming dollar. Many of us predicted that the game would do sub-Heavy Rain numbers ages ago.  Games like this don't have million sale first weeks.  I think it will top out at 1.5 million which is respectable.  Of course, while a million is the benchmark we've set for ourselves on this site as "success", we've also seen games that sell several million be labeled as failures (ie: Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution).  It would help me if you could tell me the budget of the game.

I believe the reported budget of B2S is around $27 Million.

Not bad, then.  If it can sell a million at full retail price, hopefully the revenue will be bigger than the marketing and development.  I think it will be okay.

So it's currently 70% away from breaking even. That's a flop if I've ever seen one.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
daredevil.shark said:
Games like puppeteer, okami, vanquish or beyond two souls sells like crap. And on the other hand games like COD or BF sells a ton. This is gaming industry.

Unfortunately that's every industry.

True that. But in gaming industry hype, clever marketing and brand name sells more than any other industry. Plus given the state of gaming industry and more AAA budjet will crash the industry. This crash is needed for the sake of industry.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k

Ok no offense but you really show your biased against nintendo. 3 weeks for 300k? Really? It took 1 week, the game released only in japan than everywhere else two weeks later. And on top of that its a remake that sold pretty well on a low install base. If LoZ WW HD is a flop then wat do you call W101? Wat do you call Killzone On Vita or Puppeteer on PS3?

Seriously i only ssid this cuz i notice you try  to jump on nintendo multiple times for the dumbest things. Just Really? 

OT: Brain Age on 3DS= Biggest Flop of the year imo. Also puppeteer

I wasn't saying it sold bad darling... I've just said it sold as good as a praised franchise...

It sold over 100k+ in US when digital sales aren't accounted for on a 1.5mil user base. That is great, same if a vita game in US sold that much on its small userbase.

Why I did that comparison:

1 - I thought Wind Waker numbers were good! (Not that much in Japan, but awesome in USA/Europe)
2 - Heavily Bundled on a console which is still building it's base

3 - Bundle and game got released just after a pricecut

4 - One of the most known IPs in Video-game

5 - Both released at the same timeframe, close to 3 monsters among games: GTA V, Monster Hunter and Pokemon

So I think both did good, and I only said once that I thought Zelda wouldn't do that good because of the Japanese FW and comparing it to other Zelda's games, it really wasn't that good (TALKIN BOUT JAPAN ONLY)

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

PlayMatt said:
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k

Ok no offense but you really show your biased against nintendo. 3 weeks for 300k? Really? It took 1 week, the game released only in japan than everywhere else two weeks later. And on top of that its a remake that sold pretty well on a low install base. If LoZ WW HD is a flop then wat do you call W101? Wat do you call Killzone On Vita or Puppeteer on PS3?

Seriously i only ssid this cuz i notice you try  to jump on nintendo multiple times for the dumbest things. Just Really? 

OT: Brain Age on 3DS= Biggest Flop of the year imo. Also puppeteer

I wasn't saying it sold bad darling... I've just said it sold as good as a praised franchise...

It sold over 100k+ in US when digital sales aren't accounted for on a 1.5mil user base. That is great, same if a vita game in US sold that much on its small userbase.

Why I did that comparison:

1 - I thought Wind Waker numbers were good! (Not that much in Japan, but awesome in USA/Europe)
2 - Heavily Bundled on a console which is still building it's base

3 - Bundle and game got released just after a pricecut

4 - One of the most known IPs in Video-game

5 - Both released at the same timeframe, close to 3 monsters among games: GTA V, Monster Hunter and Pokemon

So I think both did good, and I only said once that I thought Zelda wouldn't do that good because of the Japanese FW and comparing it to other Zelda's games, it really wasn't that good (TALKIN BOUT JAPAN ONLY)

wat your saying now is different from wat you said be before though " And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k " I saw the Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k part!!!! But anyway no point in arguing if both of us agree 90% lol

KHlover said:
attaboy said:
tiffac said:
attaboy said:

Reviews suggest that, despite the big stars, it's not a AAA game.  Also, as a generation draws to a close, there are TONS of other options for the gaming dollar. Many of us predicted that the game would do sub-Heavy Rain numbers ages ago.  Games like this don't have million sale first weeks.  I think it will top out at 1.5 million which is respectable.  Of course, while a million is the benchmark we've set for ourselves on this site as "success", we've also seen games that sell several million be labeled as failures (ie: Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution).  It would help me if you could tell me the budget of the game.

I believe the reported budget of B2S is around $27 Million.

Not bad, then.  If it can sell a million at full retail price, hopefully the revenue will be bigger than the marketing and development.  I think it will be okay.

So it's currently 70% away from breaking even. That's a flop if I've ever seen one.

I still think it's too early to call.  It's only been a week. Get back to me in January.

kowenicki said:
Not even close. puppeteer, kz m, wonderful 101 and others are far worse.

See, people try to call you an anti-Sony troll, but here you have a perfect opportunity to clown on a high profile PS3 exclusive and you indirectly stood up for it.  I know this is a bit off topic, but I just felt it needed to be pointed out.  

Nowhere near being the flop of the year it could have done better but 300K the first week is respectable. A lot of other worthy candidates have already been mention to me the flop of the year is The Wonderful 101. As for Beyond Two Souls I actually liked it better then Heavy Rain the only thing that was kinda annoying at times where the controls.