By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is Beyond officially the flop of the year now?

beatles1082 said:

Not contridiction, i just worded it wrong, I meant that you can't say that a game on a console with 5 million units should sell anywhere near one with 80 million units and a year + of healthy coverage and hype.

Doesn't change the fact that zelda is a well established franchise and b2s is a new IP from a niche genre

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
tbone51 said:
PlayMatt said:
And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k

Ok no offense but you really show your biased against nintendo. 3 weeks for 300k? Really? It took 1 week, the game released only in japan than everywhere else two weeks later. And on top of that its a remake that sold pretty well on a low install base. If LoZ WW HD is a flop then wat do you call W101? Wat do you call Killzone On Vita or Puppeteer on PS3?

Seriously i only ssid this cuz i notice you try  to jump on nintendo multiple times for the dumbest things. Just Really? 

OT: Brain Age on 3DS= Biggest Flop of the year imo. Also puppeteer

I wasn't saying it sold bad darling... I've just said it sold as good as a praised franchise...

It sold over 100k+ in US when digital sales aren't accounted for on a 1.5mil user base. That is great, same if a vita game in US sold that much on its small userbase.

Why I did that comparison:

1 - I thought Wind Waker numbers were good! (Not that much in Japan, but awesome in USA/Europe)
2 - Heavily Bundled on a console which is still building it's base

3 - Bundle and game got released just after a pricecut

4 - One of the most known IPs in Video-game

5 - Both released at the same timeframe, close to 3 monsters among games: GTA V, Monster Hunter and Pokemon

So I think both did good, and I only said once that I thought Zelda wouldn't do that good because of the Japanese FW and comparing it to other Zelda's games, it really wasn't that good (TALKIN BOUT JAPAN ONLY)

wat your saying now is different from wat you said be before though " And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k " I saw the Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k part!!!! But anyway no point in arguing if both of us agree 90% lol

Yes sorry if I sounded another way I wanted to mean it sold AS GOOD AS Zelda... Meaning that B2S is not a flop

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

Mr Khan said:
chapset said:
Mr Khan said:
Seece said:
Mr Khan said:

Then explain why Ubisoft farmed the game out to China and could still expect a quality product that would have been compelling to Wii U owners. The version's existence wasn't even advertised.

Trying to swat away the facts by calling them "ridiculous" does you no credit.

I agree they put little effort into the port, even if it had better treatment I'm still not sure it would have done a lot better :

Which brings up the other problem of chapset's attempted thread derailment: the game didn't sell that well anywhere. An anticipated title like Ghosts is at least going to get decent-to-good spillover sales. There wasn't any hype for it anywhere, so why single out the Wii U version?

thread derailement? you bring the same old excuses everytime a third party game fail on a Nintendo system the ol ''it's either malice or incompetance'' mombo jumbo

Derailment, by picking on one version in particular. You have a history of this.

And again, you attempt to dismiss me. Present an argument.

jesus christ aren't you something, the wii U version sold 30k compaired to the x360 version is at 500k and the ps3 is at 400k how is that derailement, the game under perform on all platforms but it's clearly ''flop of the year worthy on the wii U'' and just like you said ''Advertising evidence is always anecdotal based on where you live and what media you consume'' , it's true the wii U version was the inferior port yet it wasn't broken enough to explain the 30k. And my point to why it could be flop of the year is because how Ubisoft reacted to the sales changing their tunes from very good support for the wii U to their biggest games missing features (dlc,online...) because they lost confidence on how much those games will sale. but no!!!! it must be a conspiracy theory started by EA to Doomed the wii U right?!?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

PlayMatt said:

wat your saying now is different from wat you said be before though " And b!tch please? When is 300k First Week a flop? The new Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k " I saw the Zelda game took 3 weeks to reach 300k part!!!! But anyway no point in arguing if both of us agree 90% lol

Yes sorry if I sounded another way I wanted to mean it sold AS GOOD AS Zelda... Meaning that B2S is not a flop

B2S underpreformed but 300k is still good cuz it can end up 1mil-1..5mil lifetime

Two Words......

Remember Me.

Around the Network

Hard to say as flop is generally proportional to budget and expectations versus reality. I never thought Beyond would do gang busters, but that it could have solid legs similar to Heavy Rain. After playing Heavy Rain (which I purchased well after release for $15) I felt that while it was a good experience it did not warrant $60 day one. Once Beyond gets down to price of a DVD, $15-$30 range, I think it will see a bump and settle doing okay breaking the million mark and being mildly profitable.

For me the biggest flop of 2013 has to be Overstrike becoming Fuse to "appeal to a broader audience" and absolutely crashing and burning. I admit I was in the camp really put off by the tonal shift, but it did surprise me how badly it went over given EAs marketing resources. No matter what they did no one seemed remotely hyped about that game. I saw it for sale at $30 within weeks of release and that is where it dropped every where not long after.

tiffac said:

I believe the reported budget of B2S is around $27 Million.

So they're somewhere at 1/3 to break even.

Will be interesting to watch this.

Seece said:
I'd say Wonderful 101 at less than 50k WW is. 300k for a game like Beyond is alright IMO.

300k on an installed base 20x+ bigger.

Michael-5 said:

If Nintendo kept Rayman exclusive to WiiU and launched it when WiiU really needed a game it could have sold double what it did.

----

Wonderful 101 is a pretty big flop IMO, I'm a huge fan of Platinum Games, and this was one of the big games pushing me to buy a WiiU, but not anymore.

Also, while Gears of War Judgement sold okay, it was a complete flop to me. It comepletly failed me as a Gears game, and put the final nail in my MS coffin.

I think you meant ubisoft.

Well I think you have to look at the hype behind each game. Beyond, like most PS games, was called AAA must own. I don't recall many people saying the same for W101 or Puppeteer. Both were consider niche titles especially W101. Platinum games are not known for great sales so I doubt anyone expected it to be a chart buster.
Also have to look at the install base. W101 was on a console with an install base of 3.5 million. Beyond was on a console with 80million.
Last thing we need to consider is budget. Beyond had the highest budget out of any of the other games being mentioned.
I would say when all the facts are considered its easy to see the game flopped pretty hard.