By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii production to end in Japan

sethnintendo said:
Seece said:
leedlelee said:
Seems pretty early...
Especially when you consider they didn't discontinue the Famicom and the Super Famicom until 2003...

But Wii isn't selling, this year they won't even reach 2m for FY which ends in march, if they kept it going it wouldn't sell more than a million.

No point keeping the production lines open for such small numbers.

Then why did they keep the NES going for so long?

"The NES/Famicom's production run is the longest lasting of any video game console, spanning 20 years from July 1983 to September 2003, before being discontinued in Japan."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

I dunno, why didn't the Gamecube?

Around the Network
Seece said:

I dunno, why didn't the Gamecube?

I suppose the NES brand power in Japan was strong for a long time.  Same can't be said about the GC nor apparently the Wii right now in Japan.

I can't see it adding anymore than 2m to its current sales.

That means about 102m WW tops???

The question isn't will PS3 beat this... its:

By how much?

and

Will the 360 also top it?

retroking1981 said:

By how much?

and

negative 10.

It had a good run while it lasted.

The Wii bubble finally burst.

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:

By how much?

and

Wii Sold 387k last Black Friday. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150631&page= combined with sales for the rest of the year and perhaps one or two more fire sales they can surely get more, but the question being can they do 2+ million? It's possible. Maybe they are bringing the mini world wide? Doubtful.

As for PS3/360 passing the Wii? It depends on how many people are eager to go next gen. 360 and PS3 systems will be cheap. MS has said they will support the system another 3 years which would mean they would have to sell 7 million a year. That doesn't seem possible. Not sure how long Sony said they will produce PS3s.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
retroking1981 said:

By how much?

and

Wii Sold 387k last Black Friday. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150631&page= combined with sales for the rest of the year and perhaps one or two more fire sales they can surely get more, but the question being can they do 2+ million? It's possible. Maybe they are bringing the mini world wide? Doubtful.

As for PS3/360 passing the Wii? It depends on how many people are eager to go next gen. 360 and PS3 systems will be cheap. MS has said they will support the system another 3 years which would mean they would have to sell 7 million a year. That doesn't seem possible. Not sure how long Sony said they will produce PS3s.

Wii is dead in Japan, nearly dead in Europe/elsewhere, and has done 487k in the US so far this year. Won't be pushing anywhere close to 2m units this year IMO. US has been over 50% sales this year for Wii.

PS360 will be 85m~ end of this year, and 90m+ end of 2014. After that it depends on their legs!

retroking1981 said:

By how much?

and

Wii has been almost dead for about two years, still the other need 10 millions to catch it. Really, who cares!

After Nintendo killed WiiConnect24 instead of absorbing it into the Nintendo Network, Wii was essentially finished right then & there.
I said Wii would sell AT LEAST 240 million & it WOULD have if Nintendo kept striking with that console.
It was outpacing every record the PS2 ever made.
Inevitable that it would have been the best-selling home console of all time if Nintendo kept striking.

I now understand why they stopped striking with it.
Wii U will be the beneficiary of that 240 million number instead.
Wii U finishes The Revolution started in Wii.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:

After Nintendo killed WiiConnect24 instead of absorbing it into the Nintendo Network, Wii was essentially finished right then & there.
I said Wii would sell AT LEAST 240 million & it WOULD have if Nintendo kept striking with that console.
It was outpacing every record the PS2 ever made.
Inevitable that it would have been the best-selling home console of all time if Nintendo kept striking.

I now understand why they stopped striking with it.
Wii U will be the beneficiary of that 240 million number instead.
Wii U finishes The Revolution started in Wii.
John Lucas

It hit its peak well before Nintendo stopped supporting it, I dunno who you expect to believe this 240 million nonsense.

2008 was its highest year for sales then it dropped from there on out. It was getting amazing support in 2009/2010 yet sales still dropped.