By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii production to end in Japan

Metallicube said:
Seece said:
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
It had a good run while it lasted.

The Wii bubble finally burst.

No.. It's called a natural console cycle. Over 6 years... The only reason PS3 and 360 are still going (and the latter is even starting to die), is because the third parties refuse to let them die as they keep supporting them, and MS and Sony have yet to release new consoles. 

Natural? Or maybe it isn't natural? The previous market leaders (PS1, PS2) and PS360 this gen have seen long healthy lives, perhaps that's the natural life cycle now.

Consoles aren't suppose to go without third party support, with that Wii would have lasted longer I'm sure.

Who says? Third party support is VASTLY overrated IMO, especially when you have such a strong first party base like Nintendo. They are not the end all be all. In fact, if anything, too much third party control is very harmful to the industry.. The prior DRM policies of the Xbone (before MS came to their senses and corrected it), are a major example of that.

Wii has sold 100 million and still has a shot of outselling the PS1, made Nintendo a ton of money, and is complete with a plethora of fun and exciting games that appeal to many.. So at the end of the day, does length of console life really matter? Sure the PS2 was in a whole nother league altogether, but there are a number of factors in play, besides its huge library; including a near monopoly on third party support, a boon in the economy, people rebuying PS2s because of new models/breakdowns, and a patheticly weak showing from its competition.

I just love how creative you "hardcore" get in discrediting the Wii in any way possible. Makes me laugh..

Who says? Common sense, you need both first party and third party, not sure how anyone can say not having third party games on a system is a good thing ....

Nintendo doesn't have that strong of a first party, before Wii it never managed to propel a console to anywhere near PS1 and PS2 numbers, those were only possible with third party on board.

Wii is of course an anomoly, it did have third party backing in the form of Just Dance, Skylanders ect which were very important. The Wii system itself is what sold it tho. Unlikely we'll see anything like that again.

Wii won't outsell PS1, slowing down too much.

What are you actually trying to say anyway? I don't see how any of that supports that 3 years is a natural life cycle, whether you like it or not, third parties are important to this industry and with strong first and third party support a system obviously goes beyond 3 years of growth. And like I said, it isn't normal for a system not to get third party support.

Around the Network

Wii deserves to finish last.

Go PS3 and 360. Hit that 100M mark and push Wii to the bottom now. :D

So Wii is done, as well. It looks like it will end at 100.5M-101M, so not quite enough juice in it to pass the PS1 (102.5M). Still damn good.

Also, interesting is that if the PS3 continues to be ~16% down YOY, it will end 2013 with 84.53M sold. Of course, it'll be closer to 86M shipped. That means the PS3 will only have to ship 15M to tie, or possibly pass. the Wii. I don't think that seems that impossible of a feat to pull off in 2-3 years.

The end of an era.

Whatever your personal feelings on the console itself, it's hard to deny the impact it had on the industry.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Sensei said:

PS3 definitely has a shot, but 360 is dying too fast.  It's down 25% YOY, so far.  If it remains at that rate, it will end the year at ~83.2M.  That will most likely be ~84.7M shipped.  With it's dwindling support from MS, as well as no more boosts due to price cuts, I see next year being even worse.  Even if somehow they only drop 30% YOY in 2014, that would only put them at a total of ~89M, possibly ~90M shipped.  Personally, I don't see MS continuing to make too many 360's after 2014, probably discontinuing it sometime in 2015. 

So, I think we're going to see the Ps3 possibly hit 100M-105M.  The Wii is definitely going to be stuck ~100.5M-101M.  And the 360 will probably end up ~90M-95M.  Damn close gen.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Sensei said:

PS3 definitely has a shot, but 360 is dying too fast.  It's down 25% YOY, so far.  If it remains at that rate, it will end the year at ~83.2M.  That will most likely be ~84.7M shipped.  With it's dwindling support from MS, as well as no more boosts due to price cuts, I see next year being even worse.  Even if somehow they only drop 30% YOY in 2014, that would only put them at a total of ~89M, possibly ~90M shipped.  Personally, I don't see MS continuing to make too many 360's after 2014, probably discontinuing it sometime in 2015. 

So, I think we're going to see the Ps3 possibly hit 100M-105M.  The Wii is definitely going to be stuck ~100.5M-101M.  And the 360 will probably end up ~90M-95M.  Damn close gen.

You realise 360 shipped 1m this past Q and PS3 shipped 1.1m right? Before that we have no solid data and last holiday they were similar numbers?

How do you no it has no more boosts from price cuts, it hasn't even had one since 2008, unlike the PS3 which has had 3. I agree PS3 has a much better shot at 100m and passing Wii, but they're closer than you think, and it's not as if we're not seeing harsher drops for the PS3 than what the numbers here suggest.

Seece said:
oniyide said:
Seece said:

When they released Super Mario Galazy 2? Yeah.

360 had shortages in December and Wii's Dec win was a blip, it didn't win either side of that month and hasn't ever since.

2011 was way below 360 numbers, and didn't it have Zelda?? Exactly how much more of a push do you need.

It never would have sold close to 240 million and noone else apart from you believes that, you were caught out with your sloppy prediction and you will be again, face the facts.

Also put your money where your mouth is (so to speak) what are your Nov + Dec WiiU predictions?

his posts had me ROFLMAO. 240 million? Wii U will continue the revolution? what the hell does that mean? does that mean WIi U will sell 140million to make up the difference. No one in their right mind could believe that. Its tracking less than PS3 AND 360 around the same time and much worst than WIi. 

OT is it safe to say that it most surely will not reach the PS1 numbers. Not to long people swear it would.

No, no, he expects Wiiu to do 240 million ...

Because Sony and MS will drop out of the race, and the WiiU will suddenly (somehow) be everything gamers want, despite the online, hardware, controller ect still being the same and the games not being to their taste.

Yes he really does believe that.

brilliant, simply brilliant

pezus said:

I did not expect sales to fizzle out like this at all. Hell no, I didnt

what did you think it would sell? cause i always thought it was going to do these numbers. Actually i did think it was going to past PS1 by now but never PS2

Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
It had a good run while it lasted.

The Wii bubble finally burst.

No.. It's called a natural console cycle. Over 6 years... The only reason PS3 and 360 are still going (and the latter is even starting to die), is because the third parties refuse to let them die as they keep supporting them, and MS and Sony have yet to release new consoles. 

Gen leader dying off first? Not natural. Gen leader dying off after "only" 8 Years? Not natural.

NES lasted 20. SNES lasted 13. PS lasted 12 Years. PS2 lasted 13 Years.

Its far from natural. Oh, and as for your other post, it has nothing to do with the "hardcore" trying to shit on the Wii. Its a sales site and the Wii has fallen way short of what many expected only 5 Years ago, with the follow-up console tanking HARD.

Third party support is really important, when your 1st party studios are trying to support 2 platforms. That 3rd party stuff fills the gaps. It stops you having dry patches for Months on end, like Wii had in later Years and Wii U is having now.

Nintendo need 3rd party support, because firstly the 1st party studios arent capable of pushing out system selling software every couple of Months and secondly, because consumers want to play these 3rd party games.

NES as a console lasted 20 years, but NES games were not released for 20 years.

The older systems were much simpler and could more easily be simplified down to a system on a chip.

With newer consoles like the PS360, it doesn't look like we will see sub-$100 prices.