By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii production to end in Japan

cbarroso09 said:
retroking1981 said:
I can't see it adding anymore than 2m to its current sales.

That means about 102m WW tops???

The question isn't will PS3 beat this... its:

By how much?

and

Will the 360 also top it?

Wii has been almost dead for about two years, still the other need 10 millions to catch it. Really, who cares!

You mean +20m.  PS3 and 360 aren't even at 80m sold.

Around the Network
Seece said:
johnlucas said:

After Nintendo killed WiiConnect24 instead of absorbing it into the Nintendo Network, Wii was essentially finished right then & there.
I said Wii would sell AT LEAST 240 million & it WOULD have if Nintendo kept striking with that console.
It was outpacing every record the PS2 ever made.
Inevitable that it would have been the best-selling home console of all time if Nintendo kept striking.

I now understand why they stopped striking with it.
Wii U will be the beneficiary of that 240 million number instead.
Wii U finishes The Revolution started in Wii.
John Lucas

It hit its peak well before Nintendo stopped supporting it, I dunno who you expect to believe this 240 million nonsense.

2008 was its highest year for sales then it dropped from there on out. It was getting amazing support in 2009/2010 yet sales still dropped.

Seece, I used to record the NPDs every month along with checking this site.

Think about the year 2010 when Nintendo went to sleep on the Wii in the middle of the year (much like they did in 2009).
XBox 360 did its redesign with the XBox 360 S with Kinect to come later in the year.
Everybody & their daddy thought the 360 would win the year & the holiday season of 2010 over Wii.
The headlines were already prewritten that this would happen. I remember this.
Nintendo woke up, put a few games out like Donkey Kong Country Returns, but most importantly just painted the console red with New Super Mario Bros. Wii pack-in.
Wii won the holiday season with the 2nd biggest monthly sales in the 7th generation (2.4 million) AND won the year of 2010 over the 360.
The year before in 2009 they had the biggest monthly sales ever PERIOD with 3.8 million in December.

When Nintendo put attention on the Wii, it sold. When they took attention off it, it drifted.
Nintendo stopped focusing on Wii after the 2010 holiday season & that's when the decline began.
That's what I talk about in the opening post of my UNITY thread.

2011 is when Nintendo was preparing the Wii U for the 2012 launch.
They could have topped the 360 & PS3 AGAIN in 2011 if they pushed for it.
Wii didn't stop selling until Nintendo abandoned focus on it.
You can't use that "it already peaked" line on me. I saw the numbers each & every month.
Only when Wii dropped out did the 360 look like the king in America.

If they continued to push with Wii, it could have sold those numbers eventually.
Nintendo didn't like how the 3rd party reacted so they withdrew the Wii to break their obstinance with the Wii U.
So Wii U will get what Wii was supposed to get. And they will get those numbers once they unify the industry.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

It's about time, how many doorstops do we really need? My Wii gets used by my kids multiple times a week, so I guess that doorstop is a little harsh. The Wii was a good gaming system for a few years, but it's time was past 2 years after it came out. The WiiU is what it should have been, a much better system for the current HD world. There were a number of great games on the Wii, but they would have only been better on the WiiU.

More on topic : Wii was a monster sales machine even if it lacked a lot of features that I liked.

johnlucas said:
Seece said:
johnlucas said:

After Nintendo killed WiiConnect24 instead of absorbing it into the Nintendo Network, Wii was essentially finished right then & there.
I said Wii would sell AT LEAST 240 million & it WOULD have if Nintendo kept striking with that console.
Inevitable that it would have been the best-selling home console of all time if Nintendo kept striking.

John Lucas

It hit its peak well before Nintendo stopped supporting it, I dunno who you expect to believe this 240 million nonsense.

2008 was its highest year for sales then it dropped from there on out. It was getting amazing support in 2009/2010 yet sales still dropped.

Think about the year 2010 when Nintendo went to sleep on the Wii in the middle of the year (much like they did in 2009).
XBox 360 did its redesign with the XBox 360 S with Kinect to come later in the year.
Everybody & their daddy thought the 360 would win the year & the holiday season of 2010 over Wii.
Nintendo woke up, put a few games out like Donkey Kong Country Returns, but most importantly just painted the console red with New Super Mario Bros. Wii pack-in.
Wii won the holiday season with the 2nd biggest monthly sales in the 7th generation (2.4 million) AND won the year of 2010 over the 360.
The year before in 2009 they had the biggest monthly sales ever PERIOD with 3.8 million in December.

When Nintendo put attention on the Wii, it sold. When they took attention off it, it drifted.
Nintendo stopped focusing on Wii after the 2010 holiday season & that's when the decline began.

You can't use that "it already peaked" line on me. I saw the numbers each & every month.

If they continued to push with Wii, it could have sold those numbers eventually.
Nintendo didn't like how the 3rd party reacted so they withdrew the Wii to break their obstinance with the Wii U.
So Wii U will get what Wii was supposed to get. And they will get those numbers once they unify the industry.

John Lucas

When they released Super Mario Galazy 2? Yeah.

360 had shortages in December and Wii's Dec win was a blip, it didn't win either side of that month and hasn't ever since.

2011 was way below 360 numbers, and didn't it have Zelda?? Exactly how much more of a push do you need.

It never would have sold close to 240 million and noone else apart from you believes that, you were caught out with your sloppy prediction and you will be again, face the facts.

Also put your money where your mouth is (so to speak) what are your Nov + Dec WiiU predictions?

Seece said:
johnlucas said:
Seece said:
johnlucas said:

John Lucas

John Lucas

360 had shortages in December and Wii's Dec win was a blip, it didn't win either side of that month and hasn't ever since.

2011 was way below 360 numbers, and didn't it have Zelda?? Exactly how much more of a push do you need.

It never would have sold close to 240 million and noone else apart from you believes that, you were caught out with your sloppy prediction and you will be again, face the facts.

Also put your money where your mouth is (so to speak) what are your Nov + Dec WiiU predictions?

his posts had me ROFLMAO. 240 million? Wii U will continue the revolution? what the hell does that mean? does that mean WIi U will sell 140million to make up the difference. No one in their right mind could believe that. Its tracking less than PS3 AND 360 around the same time and much worst than WIi. 

OT is it safe to say that it most surely will not reach the PS1 numbers. Not to long people swear it would.

Around the Network
Seece said:
johnlucas said:

John Lucas

Isn't the 3rd year the traditional year games consoles peak sales wise? I know PS3/360 really threw that rule out with window but didn't most past consoles peak in their 3rd years? 2008 was the Wii's 3rd so it makes perfect sense that it was its peak year to me.

Also most consoles traditionally have a 5 year cycle, so amazing support up until 2010 again makes perfect sense. This brings me to my opinion on the Wii U... it came out 1 year to late.

2011 is when that should have dropped, that way Nintendo would still have had some momentum. As it turned out they were largely irrelevant in the home console scene after Xmas 2010 and I think they lost a lot of potential Wii U sales to PS3/360.

GREAT for Wii U I just hope it will sell more than PS1 at the end.

Switch!!!

fedfed said:
GREAT for Wii U I just hope it will sell more than PS1 at the end.

if Wii couldnt do it, whats make you think WIi U will?

oniyide said:
Seece said:

his posts had me ROFLMAO. 240 million? Wii U will continue the revolution? what the hell does that mean? does that mean WIi U will sell 140million to make up the difference. No one in their right mind could believe that. Its tracking less than PS3 AND 360 around the same time and much worst than WIi. 

OT is it safe to say that it most surely will not reach the PS1 numbers. Not to long people swear it would.

No, no, he expects Wiiu to do 240 million ...

Because Sony and MS will drop out of the race, and the WiiU will suddenly (somehow) be everything gamers want, despite the online, hardware, controller ect still being the same and the games not being to their taste.

Yes he really does believe that.

retroking1981 said:
Seece said:
johnlucas said:

John Lucas

Isn't the 3rd year the traditional year games consoles peak sales wise? I know PS3/360 really threw that rule out with window but didn't most past consoles peak in their 3rd years? 2008 was the Wii's 3rd so it makes perfect sense that it was its peak year to me.

Also most consoles traditionally have a 5 year cycle, so amazing support up until 2010 again makes perfect sense. This brings me to my opinion on the Wii U... it came out 1 year to late.

2011 is when that should have dropped, that way Nintendo would still have had some momentum. As it turned out they were largely irrelevant in the home console scene after Xmas 2010 and I think they lost a lot of potential Wii U sales to PS3/360.

It is indeed, which shows you what a successful job Sony and Microsoft did of sustaining their platforms and shows long term interest, far more enviable.