By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii production to end in Japan

goodbye Wii, was nice knowing ya

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
It had a good run while it lasted.

The Wii bubble finally burst.

No.. It's called a natural console cycle. Over 6 years... The only reason PS3 and 360 are still going (and the latter is even starting to die), is because the third parties refuse to let them die as they keep supporting them, and MS and Sony have yet to release new consoles. 

Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:

No.. It's called a natural console cycle. Over 6 years... The only reason PS3 and 360 are still going (and the latter is even starting to die), is because the third parties refuse to let them die as they keep supporting them, and MS and Sony have yet to release new consoles. 

Natural? Or maybe it isn't natural? The previous market leaders (PS1, PS2) and PS360 this gen have seen long healthy lives, perhaps that's the natural life cycle now.

Consoles aren't suppose to go without third party support, with that Wii would have lasted longer I'm sure.

johnlucas said:

After Nintendo killed WiiConnect24 instead of absorbing it into the Nintendo Network, Wii was essentially finished right then & there.
I said Wii would sell AT LEAST 240 million & it WOULD have if Nintendo kept striking with that console.
It was outpacing every record the PS2 ever made.
Inevitable that it would have been the best-selling home console of all time if Nintendo kept striking.

I now understand why they stopped striking with it.
Wii U will be the beneficiary of that 240 million number instead.
Wii U finishes The Revolution started in Wii.
John Lucas

I don't think that the Wii U will have more than twice the sales of the Wii.

Little early for that I thought :/

Around the Network

i think its a hint of WiiU coming up price cut...

pezus said:
MohammadBadir said:

i shall always the remember the Revolution that was Wii.

they should've ended the DS rather than the Wii, atleast the Wii sold a thousand, the DS is selling fucking 20 units everyweek!

They already have stopped ds production in japan

Is that why they are only selling 20 a week in Japan? Like they are still selling their final shipment I assume. 
I guess the Wii could still sell a few units in Japan after production ends...
Maybe itll eventually pass PS1 WW sales.

1doesnotsimply

Seece said:
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:

Natural? Or maybe it isn't natural? The previous market leaders (PS1, PS2) and PS360 this gen have seen long healthy lives, perhaps that's the natural life cycle now.

Consoles aren't suppose to go without third party support, with that Wii would have lasted longer I'm sure.

Who says? Third party support is VASTLY overrated IMO, especially when you have such a strong first party base like Nintendo. They are not the end all be all. In fact, if anything, too much third party control is very harmful to the industry.. The prior DRM policies of the Xbone (before MS came to their senses and corrected it), are a major example of that.

Wii has sold 100 million and still has a shot of outselling the PS1, made Nintendo a ton of money, and is complete with a plethora of fun and exciting games that appeal to many.. So at the end of the day, does length of console life really matter? Sure the PS2 was in a whole nother league altogether, but there are a number of factors in play, besides its huge library; including a near monopoly on third party support, a boon in the economy, people rebuying PS2s because of new models/breakdowns, and a patheticly weak showing from its competition.

I just love how creative you "hardcore" get in discrediting the Wii in any way possible. Makes me laugh..

DS is discontinued. It's only the last remaining units that are being sold and tracked. 

I haven't seen any new DS systems in stores in at least a year. I don't know where those sales are coming from every week.

Occasionally, I will see a dusty new PS2, usually black or silver, and they want 20-50000yen for it :)