By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

He sounds bitter.

And maybe he's forgetting that consoles still outperform PC's for the equivalent price, and most PC gamers don't buy the latest graphics card out.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Licence said:
Xenostar said:

Stalker is donkeys old and Witcher 2 was developed with console in mind its on 360, Just cause 2 PC was outsourced they will of been given the console assets, they would not of started from scratch. 

New console generation is exciting times for PC gamers as well, the millstone of the last generation will soon be cast off. 

Maybe the ease by which The Witcher 2 was ported to the XBox may give you an indication of how small the generational difference really is?

To be fair TW2 was designed to be ported to consoles, and they still had to rewrite the lighting engine from scratch, update their memory management system, cut several effects and still had to cut up several levels into smaller chunks just to get it to run. And took a full team almost a year to port (with many new assets), I wouldn't exactly call that ease. TW2 is more a triumph in great art direction than anything anyway, it's not like they were pushing mindblowing tech just really great assets.

CDProjekt did a great job on the port tho considering it was their first console game (and such a small team)

TW3 looks much better technically and it's fully open world and pre-alpha

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

RenCutypoison said:
Kasz216 said:
RenCutypoison said:
It has almost always been the case, people just didn't spend a month's salary in a high end PC before.

Plus Nvidia raging about not getting the contracts for Xbone/ PS4 chipset.

I say bullshit for ps3 being on par with high end PCs in 2006

Nvidia is raging from not geting the Xbone/PS4 chipsets in the same way that Morton's Steakhouses are raging that they aren't getting the Wal-mart cashier demographic.

If they have no interest in it, why did they do it before ?

because the profit margins were even worse on the PS3 then they expected.00

If you regularly paid attention to PC manufacturers financials you'd know that Nvidia missed it's profit targets on last gens console tech, after reaping some big money on Xbox.

Over the course of the entire PS3, Nvidia has only made around a half a billion dollars... not really worth putting other product lines on hold to shift over engineers for gaming architecture.

Why divert engineers for maybe 150 million chips over 10 years that won't be used elsewhere when instead you could go after the smartphone market?

Nvdia specifically turned down a PS4 offer from Sony.

http://techreport.com/news/24501/nvidia-didnt-want-the-playstation-4

AMD is desperate so they're willing to settle for scraps if those scraps will lead to fairly steady revenue.

Other companies, not so much.

If AMD gets back on track, chances are future console chipsets will end up being nothing but stock.

Nope. But I also have a comparision they can't beat! High end PC's will never be cheaper than consoles!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Kasz216 said:

Over the course of the entire PS3, Nvidia has only made around a half a billion dollars... not really worth putting other product lines on hold to shift over engineers for gaming architecture.

Why divert engineers for maybe 150 million chips over 10 years that won't be used elsewhere when instead you could go after the smartphone market?

AMD is desperate so they're willing to settle for scraps if those scraps will lead to fairly steady revenue.

If AMD gets back on track, chances are future console chipsets will end up being nothing but stock.

Maybe Nvidia doesn't see enough value in that, but for AMD it's different.

For AMD it's not only the GPU, it's also the CPU and the fabrication of the chips (given that they can't license the CPU design to Sony/MSoft, they have to take care of that too), so their profits margin are much higher than what Nvidia could get with only the GPU.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
To be fair TW2 was designed to be ported to consoles, and they still had to rewrite the lighting engine from scratch, update their memory management system, cut several effects and still had to cut up several levels into smaller chunks just to get it to run. And took a full team almost a year to port (with many new assets), I wouldn't exactly call that ease. TW2 is more a triumph in great art direction than anything anyway, it's not like they were pushing mindblowing tech just really great assets.

CDProjekt did a great job on the port tho considering it was their first console game (and such a small team)

TW3 looks much better technically and it's fully open world and pre-alpha

This post really supports the point I'm making - despite the huge amount of technical advances encapsulated in the PC version, it still looks only incrementally better than the console version. I agree 100% with you that CDProjekt dit an amazing job, but is The Witcher 2 an example of the "never seen before" graphics that await us with the PS4? In that case, I'm not hugely impressed.

Yea, the Nvidia guy doesn't sound jaded at all does he, LOL. Dumbass.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

JEMC said:
Kasz216 said:

For AMD it's not only the GPU, it's also the CPU and the fabrication of the chips (given that they can't license the CPU design to Sony/MSoft, they have to take care of that too), so their profits margin are much higher than what Nvidia could get with only the GPU.

... Nvidia could of provided all that too if they wanted.  (Which they were asked too...)

That's what they're mobile buisness is.  The one they didn't want to distract from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra

Their margins won't be higher then what Nvdia refused to take.  AMD is just desperate because well... they've been taking sort of a beating to the point where Nvdia is has just been holding back to artificially keep prices up.

Everyone thinks AMD's APU's are unique for some reason whe in reality, they're extremely standard.  

Kasz216 said:
JEMC said:

... Nvidia could of provided all that too if they wanted.

That's what they're mobile buisness is.  The one they didn't want to distract from.

Their margins won't be higher then what Nvdia refused to take.  AMD is just desperate because well... they've been taking sort of a beating to the point where Nvdia is has just been holding back to artificially keep prices up.

Sorry but no, Nvidia can't provide them with an x86 CPU.

They could offer an ARM one with their Tegra solutions, but that could prove problematic as devs have been asking for ages for a more PC-like environment.

And that's a risk neither Sony nor MSoft can afford.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

the real question is: do we really care?