By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

Xenostar said:
Locknuts said:
After building my latest gaming PC, I realised the reality of diminishing returns. PS4 might have 10 times the power of the PS3, but games will not look 10 times better. They will look like sharper, smoother-running versions of what is out now with better lighting and some other effects. I used to get butthurt that I spend $2000 building a PC and that devs where able to get decent ports of the same games running on 7 year old hardware. The new consoles might be able to perform as well as my 2012 build through optimisations (not sure how many TFLOPS my video cards are but it's well over 2), but I can't see there being anything mind blowing this coming gen. Diminishing returns are upon us.

Its also because devs target consoles, and scale up for PCs, you will start to see a big bump in visual quality in the next few years now there not having to cater for 7-8 year old tech anymore. This has been the main cause of your diminishing returns. 

I want to believe that, but I don't.

Around the Network

If you build a PC from scratch maybe but lets not give the PS4/X1 more credit then they deserve. They are not using an 8core desktop CPU and a dedicated 3GB DDR5 graphics hard with 32 gigs of system RAM.
They have a CPU/GPGPU combo built into a single chip. RAM must be split between the OS and the CPU and GPU.
BF4 devs are already have issues getting the game on par to the PC version and it at most asks for a quad core PC.
Now if I want to upgrade to next gen I don't need to start from scratch on my PC. I can use my old keyboard and mouse, HDD, tower, Power supply, RAM if I choose, or even my GPU if I choose.

I can buy an 8 core CPU and Mobo on Newegg for less than 400 that blows both away.

It is funny to me that people want to act like these consoles are using desktop PC parts. Like Sony could get all of that and 8gigs of DDR5 and sell it for 400.00 when the people that actually make those parts for PCs cant sell them at that price.
Also add in the price of online when figuring in cost of your PC. For the cost of a next gen console over 10 years that is 800-1000.00 I could spend on upgrades. If you cant build a superior PC with that then I wonder if you really are a PC guy at all.
5 minutes on New egg I could find a pre built package for 500-800 with dedicated CPU and dedicated GPU that will be superior to any console.

Vasto said:

Nvidia should just let it go. AMD scored big on getting contracts on all 3 consoles.

They did let it go. They didnt WANT to do it. Its not like Nvidia got turned down.

If someone you didnt want to date asked you out and you said no, would that make you the bitter one?

Do the Steam Machines count as consoles? I wonder if Valve partnered with them at all

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Nividia still pissed they didn't get to make chips for Xbox or PlayStation huh. I honestly could care less if consoles could be better looking than PCs if that's what I wanted out of my games was graphics I'd just get a gaming PC.

Around the Network
ListerOfSmeg said:
Vasto said:

Nvidia should just let it go. AMD scored big on getting contracts on all 3 consoles.

They did let it go. They didnt WANT to do it. Its not like Nvidia got turned down.

If someone you didnt want to date asked you out and you said no, would that make you the bitter one?

Sorry but I dont buy it. Nvida been doing it in the past but now all of sudden you dont want to do it anymore? I call bs on that all day. 

AMD is the best in the graphics department and they are exploding with the development of their APUs. They are a better choice then Nvida.

Vasto said:

Sorry but I dont buy it. Nvida been doing it in the past but now all of sudden you dont want to do it anymore? I call bs on that all day. 

AMD is the best in the graphics department and they are exploding with the development of their APUs. They are a better choice then Nvida.

AMD is the best? Hardly.
They are however the best in terms of price/performance, but even that changes rather often.

It's really not clear cut who is better, nVidia has historically provided better support on the PC and Titan has the current performance lead and nVidia has spent *allot* of money in assisting developers to improve games for the PC and Optimus is better than AMD's enduro, nVidia I think also has the edge in Tessellation performance too which is gonna' be a big thing over the next few years.

And this is coming from someone who only buys AMD graphics, I love me a Radeon, but nVidia and AMD leap-frog each other so often in *every* aspect it's not funny, I wouldn't say either company is better than the other.
Heck, AMD will probably be very competitive if not beat... Titan when it releases it's new cards if the leaked Benchmarks are anything to go by.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Vasto said:

AMD is the best? Hardly.
They are however the best in terms of price/performance, but even that changes rather often.

It's really not clear cut who is better, nVidia has historically provided better support on the PC and Titan has the current performance lead and nVidia has spent *allot* of money in assisting developers to improve games for the PC and Optimus is better than AMD's enduro, nVidia I think also has the edge in Tessellation performance too which is gonna' be a big thing over the next few years.

And this is coming from someone who only buys AMD graphics, I love me a Radeon, but nVidia and AMD leap-frog each other so often in *every* aspect it's not funny, I wouldn't say either company is better than the other.
Heck, AMD will probably be very competitive if not beat... Titan when it releases it's new cards if the leaked Benchmarks are anything to go by.

Why limit yourself to amd only when you can choose nvidia too ? (I can understand why people would avoid amd's processors.) 

fatslob-:O said:

Why limit yourself to amd only when you can choose nvidia too ? (I can understand why people would avoid amd's processors.) 

Price. - I don't have an AMD CPU in my main system though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
fatslob-:O said:

Price. - I don't have an AMD CPU in my main system though.

Yet your buying 4 AMD R9 290X at likely $500. I don't think price is the culprit.