By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

Xenostar said:
Look my basic point is console game is more affordable and will keep you playing the latest games.

I am both a PC and Console gamer so im not trying to talk down PC gaming i love it.

But in 7 years my PS3 cost me £400 once and is still relevant to gaming today its playing arguably the best game out at the moment GTA 5 which i cant play on my PC

I made my own PC around the time the PS3 was released it cost me £800 since then ive had to upgrade it twice to keep it relevant for playing the latest game, each upgrade cost more than the price of the original ps3 cost. So were talking close to £2000 over 7 years, thats a lot of money your average console only gamer could just be spending on games,

So dont be telling me PC gaming is cheaper, it aint, but i do it cos there are cool PC exclusives for me Civilization i also need a PC for work purposes anyway and i can afford to pay the extra for better graphics than a console. So unless your buying games on a near weekly basis it aint ever gonna work out cheaper.

Ive also recently sold nearly all of my PS3 games to fund the new generation, guess how many of my PC games im selling to fund a new PC upgrade oh wait i cant sell even 1 of them.

a lot of truth in this post but i'll just comment on how important that bit is. 

PC has lost a huge chunck of there exclusives this gen (360 a bit but it's really showing with the ps4) as the smaller/indie devs are finding consoles viable platforms.  but more importantly, the PC graphics argument is heavily damage by the fact there are very few AAA developers willing to develop exclusively for PC.  all that extra power is meaningless when the games are developed to the lowest common denominator (consoles).

Around the Network

not worth the costs isn't not possible, just saying.

I make a bold statement and say that graphics on high end PCs were always better than on consoles.
But the point is that new consoles will have more power than 99.9% of all current PCs and still more power than 90%-95% of all PC gamers.
Of course that amount is going to shrink with the length of the console generation.

So all in all, completely pointless talk.

Naum said:
Lucky for us graphics isn't everything

Don't think graphics is even in my top 5 when it comes to games

Some people might say you're just saying that, but I believe you looking at your avatar.  Really blurry, low quality image.  I guess graphics really don't mean anything to you. 

The image is blurry and low quality, but just making a joke with the comment :P.

arcane_chaos said:
the real question is: do we really care?

Not really.  I mean, when compared to number of titles exclusive to consoles and exclusive to PCs for me it is easy to go consoles.  Last two PC games I was really hyped about (Diablo III and Sim City) both ended up being DOA with always on DRM nonsense.

If PCs could offer majority of games I like with higher visuals then it would be a factor, until then I have no desire to have cutting edge PC tech.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
Naum said:

Some people might say you're just saying that, but I believe you looking at your avatar.  Really blurry, low quality image.  I guess graphics really don't mean anything to you. 

The image is blurry and low quality, but just making a joke with the comment :P.

Lol that was my first and only avatar icon since i first joined...

I changed it now just for you to a much better high res picture :p

:)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Nvidia wouldn't say this if these consoles featured gtx powered graphics would they ? (hahahaha)

Licence said:
To be fair TW2 was designed to be ported to consoles, and they still had to rewrite the lighting engine from scratch, update their memory management system, cut several effects and still had to cut up several levels into smaller chunks just to get it to run. And took a full team almost a year to port (with many new assets), I wouldn't exactly call that ease. TW2 is more a triumph in great art direction than anything anyway, it's not like they were pushing mindblowing tech just really great assets.

CDProjekt did a great job on the port tho considering it was their first console game (and such a small team)

TW3 looks much better technically and it's fully open world and pre-alpha

This post really supports the point I'm making - despite the huge amount of technical advances encapsulated in the PC version, it still looks only incrementally better than the console version. I agree 100% with you that CDProjekt dit an amazing job, but is The Witcher 2 an example of the "never seen before" graphics that await us with the PS4? In that case, I'm not hugely impressed.

Clearly you missed the part of my post where I said that TW2 wasn't a technical marvel. It was a DX9 renderer and it's over 2 years old. And they still had to make large cutbacks to get it to run on X360. The Witcher 3 is their next gen game that is not even possible on PS360, massive open world with astounding level of detail, huge leaps in animation, and a dynamic and reactive world.  And even that is still an early game for next gen.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Naum said:
kupomogli said:
Naum said:

Lol that was my first and only avatar icon since i first joined...

I changed it now just for you to a much better high res picture :p

:)

That's better.

Nvidia should just let it go. AMD scored big on getting contracts on all 3 consoles.