By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

I didn't know that there was this myth that consoles used to have better graphics than pcs until I registered on this site, I thought it was common knowledge to everyone that consoles have dated tech on release and pcs are always ahead, no matter console launch or when.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

And yet, even though Nvidia mentions how GPU development back then was limited, and that it was infact the console makers who pushed the performance forward with their requirements, they fail to realize mention, that nowadays it's Nvidia/AMD who are constantly pushing those limits, so console makers don't need to do that.

It's no longer a situation where console makers go to them and say: "Let's see if you make this". No, now it's more like: "What can you offer us?" and then make little settings to best fit their plans.

And let's be honest here. If the PS4/X1 are underpowered compared to PCs, is not because they couldn't make more powerful consoles. No, they went with those specs because the market would not accept +500$/€ consoles that use more than 300W at load and need powerful fans to cool it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Xenostar said:

Stalker is donkeys old and Witcher 2 was developed with console in mind its on 360, Just cause 2 PC was outsourced they will of been given the console assets, they would not of started from scratch. 

New console generation is exciting times for PC gamers as well, the millstone of the last generation will soon be cast off. 

Maybe the ease by which The Witcher 2 was ported to the XBox may give you an indication of how small the generational difference really is?

JEMC said:

And yet, even though Nvidia mentions how GPU development back then was limited.

Or maybe nVidia is still annoyed at the fact they weren't the fastest game in town back then, but instead relegated to a small niche' of the entire GPU industry thanks to 3DFX, S3, ATI, Matrox, Rendition, NEC just to name a few. :P
It wasn't really untill the TNT 2 burst onto the scene with it's 32-bit everything that nVidia's fortunes finally started to change, they solidified that position with the first "GPU". - Aka. The Geforce 256 with it's fully Direct X 7 compliant hardware, TnL unit and all.

I used to have SLI 3dfx Voodoo 2's back in the day, paired up with an S3 Virge DX/XG as my 2D accellerator, was great playing every game with crystal clear image quality and fluidity. - That's right. You could even have multiple Graphics cards even back then!
ATI had it with the Rage Fury Maxx too.

When you got a Playstation or Playstation 2 port on the PC, the difference was night and day, PC's natively ran with far far higher resolutions out of the box and had Anti-Aliasing, better texture filtering and of course better framerates.
To put it in perspective, whilst the console were running at 640x480, I was doing 1024x768 on the Voodoo 2's, later when I upgraded my machine I jumped to 1280x1024, more than double of the consoles.
I actually *dont* recall any period in time where a console was ahead of the PC, at-least graphically.

Of course, today where consoles are only doing 1366x768 or lower with next generation topping out at 1920x1080, I'm at 7680x1440 and I am already looking towards getting my hands on a 11,520 × 2160 display set-up in the future.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Kasz216 said:

If it wasn't you, and it wasn't shockingly on topic with what he said, i'd totally think that post was done by this guy

You are totally right though.

Still, i love me my steam functionality.

lol that does look like one of those spam posts doesn't it...

So many games are Steamworks these days you usually don't have to sacrifice Steam if you buy through other stores as you are usually just buying a Steam key.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

I agree.

Kasz216 said:
RenCutypoison said:
It has almost always been the case, people just didn't spend a month's salary in a high end PC before.

Plus Nvidia raging about not getting the contracts for Xbone/ PS4 chipset.

I say bullshit for ps3 being on par with high end PCs in 2006

Nvidia is raging from not geting the Xbone/PS4 chipsets in the same way that Morton's Steakhouses are raging that they aren't getting the Wal-mart cashier demographic.

If they have no interest in it, why did they do it before ?

It's true enough, but ever since AMD got the deal Nvidia has been salty as fuck. Consoles have never had better graphics than high end PCs.

They're still jealous from AMD?

@Permalite: I was merely using the same tone Nvidia used .

Off-topic: Do you really need so much screen space? That 7680x1440 setup of yours is already impressive, but 11,520 × 2160? Text should be illegible!

For me, until they start making monitors with almost no bezel, it's a no-go for eyefinity/surround. Why is taking them so long?!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.