By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

Naum said:
Lucky for us graphics isn't everything

Don't think graphics is even in my top 5 when it comes to games

I agree with this. Although I will say having superb graphics in a game can substantially increase the immersive feel. I don't want my PS4 having a GTX 690/Radeon 7990 in it (as an example) I want it to be cost effective, bringing the latest technology when it comes to the mobile platform. Valve can pull off Steam because they are currently only doing software. What's it hurting them to ask devs to promote their games with sales? Sony and Microsoft are seeing a profit from pay to play because they always have to undersell their platforms to make anything in the long run. Sure Valve is going to make the Steambox but it's not going to hurt them in any way because they have no competition in that area. If anything next gen will promote better ports and better multicore and multithreaded support as they're sporting x86 architectures and 8 core CPUs.

Around the Network

Isn't that enough, Nvidia? Let it go, man. Why are you still butthurt?

Pemalite said:
Xenostar said:

Lets face it you would not see GTA5 running on a PC with a 256MB graphics card. 

And this PS4 has the equivalent of a 3-4GB graphics card if the devs want.  

you can get most games for £5-10 only a year after release, and you can borrow games off your mates, rent games from rental places. 

Of course you could argue that you could just go full pirate on PC but as a game dev i would never condone that. 

Funny. I don't recall the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 running with only 256Mb of Ram.
:P
Plus, it's not a fair comparison either way, 99.9999999% of multi-platform games have better graphics right out of the box anyway, which is going to make it more demanding on the hardware.

As for Ram and graphics, I have in total 9Gb of GDDR5 Ram in my PC (Albeit, only 3Gb is actually used for games, but I can use that entire 9Gb for compute.)
However, from there developers are free to use my 32Gb of System ram however they want. :P Not that it will happen anytime soon.

Steam games can often go lower than £5 when a sale occurs, or when a good Humble bundle like the EA humble bundle that occured not long ago where you could have gotten: Dead Space 3, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 3, Burnout paradise, The Sims 3, Red Alert 3 and Populous for a mere $5 USD, try doing that on a console.

As for borrowing games from friends, Steam allows it.

PS3 has a split pool of memory. 256MB of RAM for the GPU and an additional 256MB for the system. Take a 256MB GPU on a PC and run any current gen game, good luck.

aronh17 said:
Pemalite said:
Xenostar said:

Lets face it you would not see GTA5 running on a PC with a 256MB graphics card. 

And this PS4 has the equivalent of a 3-4GB graphics card if the devs want.  

you can get most games for £5-10 only a year after release, and you can borrow games off your mates, rent games from rental places. 

Of course you could argue that you could just go full pirate on PC but as a game dev i would never condone that. 

Funny. I don't recall the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 running with only 256Mb of Ram.
:P
Plus, it's not a fair comparison either way, 99.9999999% of multi-platform games have better graphics right out of the box anyway, which is going to make it more demanding on the hardware.

As for Ram and graphics, I have in total 9Gb of GDDR5 Ram in my PC (Albeit, only 3Gb is actually used for games, but I can use that entire 9Gb for compute.)
However, from there developers are free to use my 32Gb of System ram however they want. :P Not that it will happen anytime soon.

Steam games can often go lower than £5 when a sale occurs, or when a good Humble bundle like the EA humble bundle that occured not long ago where you could have gotten: Dead Space 3, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 3, Burnout paradise, The Sims 3, Red Alert 3 and Populous for a mere $5 USD, try doing that on a console.

As for borrowing games from friends, Steam allows it.

PS3 has a split pool of memory. 256MB of RAM for the GPU and an additional 256MB for the system. Take a 256MB GPU on a PC and run any current gen game, good luck.

Take a current PC game and try to run it on a PS3, good luck.

walsufnir said:

Well, it's 7 years old. PS4 will play PC games, I believe Planetside 2 is coming to PS4. As well as a number of other free to play PC games. Build a PC for $400 and beat the PS4? :) There's truly nothing wrong with either platform. I currently do not care though, my 7 year old PS3 is playing GTA V at a native 1280x720 and I'm happy with that.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Xenostar said:

Hay im not knocking PC gaming i do it myself, im saying asking some people to outlay £1000 day 1 is just to much of an ask, yeah steam has awsome sales but it also has shit day 1 prices, at least here in the UK. 

I do hope over the next year with the next gen here everyone can get there shit together with digital pricing on new titles, its criminal. 

Who says you have to lay down $1,000 day 1?
PC's are upgradeable, you can buy a moderatly fast system for a fraction of that and over time upgrade it.
Upgrading a PC isn't difficult either, even a monkey can do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPQW0e9ufM

If you want PS4 level graphics, you are probably looking at $1,000 machine day 1. Then each upgrade to keep it at that level is going to cost another few hundred $.

Speaking at someone who owns a high end PC, I see the economics as being highly favoured towards the PS4. I just happen to have enough money to get both

Xenostar said:

Hay im not knocking PC gaming i do it myself, im saying asking some people to outlay £1000 day 1 is just to much of an ask, yeah steam has awsome sales but it also has shit day 1 prices, at least here in the UK. 

I do hope over the next year with the next gen here everyone can get there shit together with digital pricing on new titles, its criminal. 

Luckly Steam isn't the only store in town

www.greenmangaming.com is your freind use the discount code and you can get 25% off almost everything including pre-orders until the 27th. They usually offer 20% off. You can't really ask for more than that on brand new games, devs have to eat after all.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

i am just glad it has already been determined that graphical power is irrelevant

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

While new consoles can't compare to the best possible computer around, they are still faster than most PCs. Remember that Notebooks sell more than Desktops and many people don't give a shit about specs. nVidia isn't even the biggest GPU manufacturer, that would be Intel. Yes, their shitty integrated graphics that don't come near the power of the Next Gen consoles are what is sold the most. So the question is not what is theoretically possible on a PC but what specs the average joe has. That is and always will be the target for developers. There's no point in developing a game that runs only on those 10.000 super fast machines.

That is also the reason why console games will always look good. They might not get to the same levels as PC games, but it will be good enough for most people. It's always good to know which hardware your customers have. It's impossible to know just that on PC. Direct X can only do so much, the results will always be best if you work as close to the metal as you can. Not possible on PC.

So in the end, just pick what you like. After all, there are no differences in Multiplats other than graphics. The games themselves are the same and you won't miss anything if you don't play BF4 not in 4K with 240fps or something. Exclusives are another thing. If you like strategy games, there's no way avoiding a PC. If you like console exclusives, get a console. Or just get both.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

aronh17 said:
walsufnir said:

Well, it's 7 years old. PS4 will play PC games, I believe Planetside 2 is coming to PS4.

I would like to see a PS4 play games how I play them on my PC. It would probably curl up in a ball and implode upon itself.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--