By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 outsold the Vita!

Tagged games:

People who believe that hardware sells software be...

Banished. 43 21.50%

Hanged by the penis until dead. 70 35.00%

Drawn. 8 4.00%

Quartered. 3 1.50%

Drawn AND quartered. 13 6.50%

Loved to death. 14 7.00%

Worshipped, because they're right! 49 24.50%

Total:200

badgenome said:

peachbuggy said:

If that is not what this thread is about, then explain the title.

Clickbait.

if that's the case then yes you can certainly say your thread has worked. Congratulations on the easy vgdollars.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I'm expecting Lost Planet 4 to be announced as a smart phone game.  Which, actually, would be fine with me.

Anyway, I'm surprised at how many people think that Capcom and MonHun have "switched" over to Nintendo.  I think those people might be in for a surprise later.

If they do a Lost Planet 4, they should just save time and ship the discs directly from the factory to a New Mexican landfill.

tbone51 said:

whyyyy? MH4 with digital sales sold close to the best MH with around 100k-200k less in half the time FW! This is no good lol!?

I just don't think it qualifies as much better. If it was selling much better than the previous best, I think Capcom would be saying so.

badgenome said:
tbone51 said:

whyyyy? MH4 with digital sales sold close to the best MH with around 100k-200k less in half the time FW! This is no good lol!?

I just don't think it qualifies as much better. If it was selling much better than the previous best, I think Capcom would be saying so.

your right, "much" isn't needed! Better though i think so >_<

SxyxS said:
Well, I already told you everything about that.(good selling game on a system with huge install base(psp) being ported on a(at that time)bad selling system(3ds)without problems,but right now this good selling game on a system with a huge install base(3ds) can"t be ported on another bad selling system(vita).=0 logic.
Now you starting to agree somehow.

is hardware selling software? yes.the more hardware the bigger the chance to sell a copy(especially niche products benefit from this)

You should check the sales back then, 3DSs bad/terrible period was over 20k units per week in slow months like June. compare that to this weeks 6k for PSV. the biggest difference is that informed people knew that there were Mario Kart and Pokemkon to push systems in a significant manner even without MH. What exactly was, is and likely will be announced for PSV with such sales potential? Keep in mind that for a very long time P4Gold was hyped as a system seller just to put thing into perspective.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Would have sold just as well had it been on Vita. Vita HW sales would also be a lot higher due to the game coming to Vita. Its that simple. I know people that bought a 3DS last year purely of the basis that MonHun 4 was coming to it eventually. 1 had never cared for Nintendo titles and tbh only owns like 2 Nintendo games on it (MK7 for MP and KI:U)

would have costed more on vita, so I think capcom is fine with the "cost less and sell more" situation.

pokoko said:
Anyone who thinks that Monster Hunter wouldn't have sold roughly as well on the Vita is completely misunderstanding Japan and the Monster Hunter franchise. The Vita hardware curve would have began moving upward from the moment the game was announced. The Japanese would probably buy a Vita just for Monster Hunter, to be honest, but Monster Hunter PLUS Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, and God Eater 2?

Yeah, it would have sold just as well.

Except we really don't know if MH4 would had done as well on the Vita. It's not as simple as "MH did great on PSP so it should do great on the Vita as well.". That's a mistake many did when New Super Mario Bros. U launched. NSMB on Wii sold like crazy and helped HW quite a bit, so surely people would go out and buy Wii U's in droves because of that game? System-sellers are great but they rarely set the world on fire on their own. They are helped by momentum, the already existing library of games, other system-sellers and/or the already established userbase.

I'm not saying that MH4 on Vita performing as well as the 3DS game is an impossibility, we just don't have anything to back up such claims.

Lawlight said:
orniletter said:
Lawlight said:

Last I checked, the numbers aren't anywhere close to the PSP ones (and those were ports too).

Which numbers did you look at , the 2 Days for MH4 vs 5 Days for MHP3rd ?

" aren't anywhere close "? Don´t make me laugh !

So, you're saying that MH4 sold as much as MHP3rd?

Do you compare lifetime-sales to first week?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

Secondly, Vita was fucked and never going to be the PSP Long before it lost Monster Hunter.  Unless it pulled out some X-factor.    As can be seen by the fact that Vita isn't hitting PSP numbers like it did before Monster Hunter became a big thing.

That alone shows it would of shaved off at least SOME Monster Hunter base.  

I don't think it does show that. The PSP came at a time when the Playstation brand was the fucking KING. It had a Vita-esque software line-up and still sold like crazy just by virtue of being a PS2 1.5 in your pocket. Once that cooled, it was Monster Hunter that pretty much saved the day. Like I said to Talal, I think that Monster Hunter could only have exploded on a system with such a large existing user base, but I don't think that a known quantity like Monster Hunter is today would necessarily sell worse on the Vita just because it's struggling. Especially if those struggles are in large part because of no MonHun.

We'll have to wait on legs, I agree. It just doesn't seem like Capcom has gained or lost anything ever since Tri. At this point, Monster Hunter is what it is.

What does it matter that the Playstation brand was king?  Less sales is still less sales that definitly would of effected it.

As for it being what it is... If you ask me, based on the move, their focus on the west, and most importantly their predictions of BELOW past series.   They were expecting it to drop on either the 3DS or the Vita, and figured the Vita was the better deal, espiecally with Nintendo Promotional help.

badgenome said:

I keep seeing this awful comparison of software sales to hardware sales, but I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it. Every time I attempt to, my brain tries to eat itself. So please, if you are you someone who believes that install bases are finite things or if you live in an alternate universe where hardware sales drive software sales rather than the other way around, tell me why you believe this utter madness.

Tell that all the people, that say that Non-Nintendo-games don't sell on Nintendo-platforms.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]