By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 outsold the Vita!

Tagged games:

People who believe that hardware sells software be...

Banished. 43 21.50%

Hanged by the penis until dead. 70 35.00%

Drawn. 8 4.00%

Quartered. 3 1.50%

Drawn AND quartered. 13 6.50%

Loved to death. 14 7.00%

Worshipped, because they're right! 49 24.50%

Total:200
orniletter said:
What people seem to be missing is that Capcom wanted growth.

Capcom wants a lot of things (1.2 million for Lost Bomba 3). It will be interesting to see if they get it, but I really doubt it. Any major growth at this point would have to come from outside Japan, and I just don't see multiplayer-heavy timesinks like Monster Hunter taking off in the west outside of consoles/PC.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Capcom wants a lot of things (1.2 million for Lost Bomba 3). It will be interesting to see if they get it, but I really doubt it. Any major growth at this point would have to come from outside Japan, and I just don't see multiplayer-heavy timesinks like Monster Hunter taking off in the west outside of consoles/PC.

That is in the stars, I just wanted to point out the logic behind their behaviour (yes, there seems to be a modicum of logic hidden in Lost Planet 3-Dragon´s Dogma must sell 10 mill. copies- Capcom)

The growth of the franchise was less likely on the expensive PSV (and the rest is icing on top like more expensive development costs and the rest in my post above)

I really thought this would be a Tbone thread. Now I don't know what to be angry at, but I'm here so I might as well post.

pokoko said:
Anyone who thinks that Monster Hunter wouldn't have sold roughly as well on the Vita is completely misunderstanding Japan and the Monster Hunter franchise. The Vita hardware curve would have began moving upward from the moment the game was announced. The Japanese would probably buy a Vita just for Monster Hunter, to be honest, but Monster Hunter PLUS Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, and God Eater 2?

Yeah, it would have sold just as well.

So, Capcom is the definite reason why PSV is failing in Japan. Good to know.

badgenome said:

agree...disagree ?

Around the Network

badgenome said:

peachbuggy said:
Am i missing something here?

Yes.

damage control anyone? I don't think i've missed anything as its plain to see. Impossible for game to do similar sales on the vita unless it has a 100% + attach rate. Don't know how i can make it any clearer. It's impossible to spin this into anything other than devastating for the vita and very good for the 3ds

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:

damage control anyone? I don't think i've missed anything as its plain to see. Impossible for game to do similar sales on the vita unless it has a 100% + attach rate. Don't know how i can make it any clearer. It's impossible to spin this into anything other than devastating for the vita and very good for the 3ds

Reading problems anyone?

It's impossible that Monster Hunter could move Vitas, even though it moved 3DSes (which hardly need help)? It's impossible that the presence of a Monster Hunter would have given other publishers more confidence in the Vita's future as a platform, resulting in more software support, resulting in more systems sold?

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

orniletter said:

What Capcom wants is multiple markets for MonHun.  If they just wanted straight up sales, MH4 would have been PSP/PSV, which would probably have sold over 2M.

MH4 is going to be ported, it's going to get "new" versions on other consoles, and the next MonHun will probably be on a different device.  It might even be on smart phones first.

pokoko said:

What Capcom wants is multiple markets for MonHun.  If they just wanted straight up sales, MH4 would have been PSP/PSV, which would probably have sold over 2M.

MH4 is going to be ported, it's going to get "new" versions on other consoles, and the next MonHun will probably be on a different device.  It might even be on smart phones first.

Ahem.

There's also the possibility of continuing to have two "series" and doing a Monster Hunter Portable 4th. If Sony were smart they'd $trongly encourage Capcom to do such a thing.

pokoko said:
orniletter said:

So you disregarded my entire point and didn´t adress any of it