By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Dropped the Ball by Not Securing GTAV: No, they have bigger games coming, they do not need it!!!

Did they?

of course not, Nintendo d... 65 15.40%

yes, Nintendo should have bought Rockstar 78 18.48%

yes 67 15.88%

no 68 16.11%

yes, they should have got the rights 81 19.19%

maybe 41 9.72%

other ( post below) 21 4.98%

Total:421
RenCutypoison said:

But the lack of third party makes it almost not possible for a core gamer to only own nintendo consoles.

Somewhere in Japan, some guy on a message board is typing that the lack of third party on the Japanese 360 makes it almost not possible for a core gamer to only own Microsoft consoles.

Around the Network
Persistantthug said:
Aielyn said:
mind said:
Nintendo doesn't have money to buy Rockstar(besides, it's not for sale, if you know what i mean), or even to buy exclusive rights for GTA 5(incl. temporary). 

Please don't make claims like this if you're going to pull it from your arse.

Nintendo Cash on Hand: $11.9 billion

Estimated value of Take Two (that's Rockstar's owner): $1.8 billion (that's equity + assets)

Nintendo could buy the entire publisher without breaking a sweat.

It would probably cost 3 or 4 Billion to buy Take Two, and Nintendo could do it, yes....but what would be the point?

Take Two is a multiplatform publisher that makes games that are meant for multiple systems.  Nintendo buying them would devalue Take Two, and eventually help drop Nintendo's own stock because they spent so much cash reserves on a company that can do them no good financially.

The financial logistics would make such a purchase stupid.

There's a reason why I didn't suggest that they *should* buy Take Two. I only countered the assertion that Nintendo doesn't have enough money to buy it. I have no problem with people saying that it would be inadvisable for Nintendo to try to buy Take Two - I agree, in fact, and think that obvious choices for Nintendo would be Ubisoft, Sega, or a heap of independent studios, rather than a publisher like Take Two. But there's a difference between asserting an opinion on what Nintendo should do, and asserting something to do with solid facts like what Nintendo is capable of doing, their money, etc.

pezus said:
Nintendo have bigger games coming? That's news to me.

It's news to you because you're not a Nintendo gamer.  It will be pointless for me to name any games cause that will only be my preference, but I'll give one anyways.  Zelda U will no doubt be the better game, and X by Monolith Soft is looking to be too.  That's just my opinion though.  

PigPen said:
pezus said:
Nintendo have bigger games coming? That's news to me.

It's news to you because you're not a Nintendo gamer.  It will be pointless for me to name any games cause that will only be my preference, but I'll give one anyways.  Zelda U will no doubt be the better game, and X by Monolith Soft is looking to be too.  That's just my opinion though.  

Comparing and judging 3 games you haven't even played. Nice!

Well when watchdog flops on Wii u, we will know rock star isn't missing a damn thing by skipping the Wii u

Around the Network

Meh, if Nintendo wants to carve out their own part of the older demographic and doesn't want to take huge risks with a new IP (game development is expensive nowadays), GTA ports aren't going to help much. They need exclusives and GTA is too violent, it's too much of a leap from Mario and co. A better route to go would be:

1.) Bring Back 007 - He's always "cool" and he's even parent approved as your mom probably thought he was cute growing up and your dad still wants to be him. He's a good fit with Nintendo, ink a deal with EON for rights to exclusive Bond games (at least on Nintendo platforms). Spend a few bucks and get Daniel Craig (or whoever they hire afterwards) to do TV/billboard ads for you. A little Bond charm instantly makes your product several notches cooler.

2.) Make The Console Zelda games a touch darker. There's no denying it, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess each have outsold Wind Waker + Skyward Sword combined. Save the cartoony Zeldas for handhelds, keep Zelda on consoles realistic, the audience has spoken. Never go too dark, but push the series to be a touch darker and more action oriented, keep the great dungeon design and sprinkle in moments of wonder as needed. 

3.) Metroid Spin-Off. Samus isn't Master Chief, but maybe surely there are other bad-ass bounty hunters in the galaxy. Make a more action oriented sci-fi epic around other characters. The first game can be called (insert character name here): Metroid Hunter. That way you're sure to get a few Metroid fans the first time out and that's the safety blanket Nintendo likes to have. Samus can go back to Metroid's roots with a new adventure on the 3DS.

4.) Be Patient With Platinum Games. W101 is a flop most likely (kids don't like kids games unless they're established characters I guess, right Puppeteer?). Bayonetta 2 may not set the world on fire either. But be patient with it. Build an audience. Greenlight Bayonetta 3, buy out the franchise fully from Sega.

Soundwave said:

Meh, if Nintendo wants to carve out their own part of the older demographic and doesn't want to take huge risks with a new IP (game development is expensive nowadays), GTA ports aren't going to help much. They need exclusives and GTA is too violent, it's too much of a leap from Mario and co. A better route to go would be:

1.) Bring Back 007 - He's always "cool" and he's even parent approved as your mom probably thought he was cute growing up and your dad still wants to be him. He's a good fit with Nintendo, ink a deal with EON for rights to exclusive Bond games (at least on Nintendo platforms). Spend a few bucks and get Daniel Craig (or whoever they hire afterwards) to do TV/billboard ads for you. A little Bond charm instantly makes your product several notches cooler.

2.) Make The Console Zelda games a touch darker. There's no denying it, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess each have outsold Wind Waker + Skyward Sword combined. Save the cartoony Zeldas for handhelds, keep Zelda on consoles realistic, the audience has spoken. Never go too dark, but push the series to be a touch darker and more action oriented, keep the great dungeon design and sprinkle in moments of wonder as needed. 

3.) Metroid Spin-Off. Samus isn't Master Chief, but maybe surely there are other bad-ass bounty hunters in the galaxy. Make a more action oriented sci-fi epic around other characters. The first game can be called (insert character name here): Metroid Hunter. That way you're sure to get a few Metroid fans the first time out and that's the safety blanket Nintendo likes to have. Samus can go back to Metroid's roots with a new adventure on the 3DS.

4.) Be Patient With Platinum Games. W101 is a flop most likely (kids don't like kids games unless they're established characters I guess, right Puppeteer?). Bayonetta 2 may not set the world on fire either. But be patient with it. Build an audience. Greenlight Bayonetta 3, buy out the franchise fully from Sega.

1.) I love the idea of Daniel Craig (as James Bond or not) as the spokesman for Wii U. He'd present a "classy mature" side of Nintendo rather than an "immature mature" that most of the industry often aims for. It would be a wonderful way to get the public to look at Nintendo in a new light while still seperating it from its competitors.

2.) Can't argue that the Zeldas with the darker/realistic art direction are the most popular; heck, Ocarina and Twilight Princess were my two favorite as well. I don't think the console being for the home or handheld should clearly decide the style though. What they should definitely do is make and market the franchise as more "hardcore" in terms of gameplay and difficulty, and forget about the casual audience. That crowd isn't buying Zelda. No more extensive handholding, no more half hour long tutorials to begin the game, no more nanny-sidekicks, no more having to beat the game once to get a harder difficulty. Bring back the challenge in combat and fear of death. If people want to play a Zelda game, they'll play it because it's a damn good game, not because it's been made easy for newcomers to get into.

3.) The Metroid faithful would likely rage because anything that doesn't involve an open, non-sentient world with a Samus that has no personality makes that happen. I'm all for expansion of the franchise, however. This game would need to come after the real Metroid for Wii U though, to avoid pissing folks off.

4.) Yes. Put Platinum on an IP that's dead or in limbo, even, like Star Fox.

RolStoppable said:
I don't know about that argument that GTA V would entice other developers to make more Wii U games. A few years ago I believed that the announcement of Dragon Quest X for the Wii was huge, because the expected presence of that game would guarantee a big userbase for JRPGs on the Wii and thus make other third parties want to take advantage of that situation. Never happened, not even remotely. Third parties didn't care one bit, even though at that time Dragon Quest was the biggest third party IP in the Japanese market.

So what kind of support would Nintendo gain by having both CoD and GTA on their home console? It probably wouldn't change anything, regardless of the sales. It's so easy to brush it off by saying: "It's CoD and GTA, they would sell on any system." - In the same way that Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition moving over 1m copies worldwide in 2007 didn't matter and Dragon Quest Swords selling 500k units in Japan alone in 2007 didn't increase the fortunes of the Wii in terms of third party support either.

Based on precedence, the entire argument of "you need to show third parties that there is an audience for their games" is moot. When there's proof that the audience is there, but the games don't come, then what exactly is going to attract the games?

I think this would have happened for the Wii had DQX not been an MMO and waited till the Wii was largely retired.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

brendude13 said:
Anybody interested in buying Grand Theft Auto V is pretty much guaranteed to already have a PS3 or a 360. Nintendo should just do their own thing.

So true, Nintendo would not gain much, every gamer that is into GTA have one, or both, of the HD twins.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Bigger games? Omg Half Life 3 confirmed and coming exclusively on Wii U, lol, I always wanted to do one of these hahahaa

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''You tend to think that there is a big gap between F1 and everything else. F1 is where all the fantastic drivers are, so you just don't know how good you are until you get there''.                  

Jean Alesi