By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Dropped the Ball by Not Securing GTAV: No, they have bigger games coming, they do not need it!!!

Did they?

of course not, Nintendo d... 65 15.40%

yes, Nintendo should have bought Rockstar 78 18.48%

yes 67 15.88%

no 68 16.11%

yes, they should have got the rights 81 19.19%

maybe 41 9.72%

other ( post below) 21 4.98%

Total:421
WagnerPaiva said:

That is true, after all, New SMB sold a ton at DS, but I think the spell is drying out, since the NSMBros HD did not help the WiiU that much

One game alone is never going to sell a console. Not indefinitely. If all Wii had ever had really going for it was Wii Sports, that would have fizzled and faded out.

Having said that, NMSB2 releasing so close to Wii U launch was a mis-step on Nintendo's part, and I think that ate into NSMBU's potential sales. But even so, it still has an over 50% attach rate to the console, which is pretty damn good, and I think it'll have legs. I think this new Mario will have greater success in that area. The massive software drough that took up most of this year really killed things, that's basically all you can say.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:

One game alone is never going to sell a console. Not indefinitely. If all Wii had ever had really going for it was Wii Sports, that would have fizzled and faded out.

Having said that, NMSB2 releasing so close to Wii U launch was a mis-step on Nintendo's part, and I think that ate into NSMBU's potential sales. But even so, it still has an over 50% attach rate to the console, which is pretty damn good, and I think it'll have legs. I think this new Mario will have greater success in that area. The massive software drough that took up most of this year really killed things, that's basically all you can say.

That is true. 

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

COLD_COBRA_ said:
PigPen said:
pezus said:
Nintendo have bigger games coming? That's news to me.

It's news to you because you're not a Nintendo gamer.  It will be pointless for me to name any games cause that will only be my preference, but I'll give one anyways.  Zelda U will no doubt be the better game, and X by Monolith Soft is looking to be too.  That's just my opinion though.  

Comparing and judging 3 games you haven't even played. Nice!

not to mention he still missed the point. "Bigger" is not subjective. GTA is bigger than those games he mentioned, fact. We're talking sales and popularity. GTA series been bigger than Zelda for awhile, X a JRPG? please. And those games arent coming out anytime soon. And im pretty sure Pezus meant games coming out this holiday season, which Ninty has nothing even coming close to GTA with the exception of maybe mario 3d world.

could easily sell 500 thousands
1 million maybe.

I see a lot of nintendo gamers in foruns who wanted to play gtaV in wii U. some of them just didnt sell their ps360 yet because of this game. some of them are getting a ps3 rather than wii U.

i agree with the article, this was the great dropped ball of the year from nintendo.

COLD_COBRA_ said:
PigPen said:
pezus said:

It's news to you because you're not a Nintendo gamer.  It will be pointless for me to name any games cause that will only be my preference, but I'll give one anyways.  Zelda U will no doubt be the better game, and X by Monolith Soft is looking to be too.  That's just my opinion though.  

Reread what pezus said, then what I said.  You're the low-fat sugar that wants to be in the Kool-Aid.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Meh, if Nintendo wants to carve out their own part of the older demographic and doesn't want to take huge risks with a new IP (game development is expensive nowadays), GTA ports aren't going to help much. They need exclusives and GTA is too violent, it's too much of a leap from Mario and co. A better route to go would be:

1.) Bring Back 007 - He's always "cool" and he's even parent approved as your mom probably thought he was cute growing up and your dad still wants to be him. He's a good fit with Nintendo, ink a deal with EON for rights to exclusive Bond games (at least on Nintendo platforms). Spend a few bucks and get Daniel Craig (or whoever they hire afterwards) to do TV/billboard ads for you. A little Bond charm instantly makes your product several notches cooler.

2.) Make The Console Zelda games a touch darker. There's no denying it, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess each have outsold Wind Waker + Skyward Sword combined. Save the cartoony Zeldas for handhelds, keep Zelda on consoles realistic, the audience has spoken. Never go too dark, but push the series to be a touch darker and more action oriented, keep the great dungeon design and sprinkle in moments of wonder as needed. 

3.) Metroid Spin-Off. Samus isn't Master Chief, but maybe surely there are other bad-ass bounty hunters in the galaxy. Make a more action oriented sci-fi epic around other characters. The first game can be called (insert character name here): Metroid Hunter. That way you're sure to get a few Metroid fans the first time out and that's the safety blanket Nintendo likes to have. Samus can go back to Metroid's roots with a new adventure on the 3DS.

4.) Be Patient With Platinum Games. W101 is a flop most likely (kids don't like kids games unless they're established characters I guess, right Puppeteer?). Bayonetta 2 may not set the world on fire either. But be patient with it. Build an audience. Greenlight Bayonetta 3, buy out the franchise fully from Sega.

1 aint gonna happen and its not like there arent any Bond games on Ninty platforms. they just dont really do anything for the them anymore and i doubt Ninty will spend the money to wrest it away from Activision and I doubt activsion will sell it.

2 agree. I dont know why it seems Ninty is scared to do this, they not about that life apparently.

3 agree again. They dont even need to do a spinoff perse i dont knwo what they didnt take the Metroid Prime Hunters concept for DS and run with that, that wasnt even a bad bad game all things considered it was on the wrong system. that could fill their FPS void right their without having to start from scratch.

4. Kinda agree, PG just arent hit makers unless they are working on someone else's IP.

oniyide said:
COLD_COBRA_ said:
PigPen said:
pezus said:

not to mention he still missed the point. "Bigger" is not subjective. GTA is bigger than those games he mentioned, fact. We're talking sales and popularity. GTA series been bigger than Zelda for awhile, X a JRPG? please. And those games arent coming out anytime soon. And im pretty sure Pezus meant games coming out this holiday season, which Ninty has nothing even coming close to GTA with the exception of maybe mario 3d world.

You are totally wrong, you must didn't read the post. Tell me how I missed the point Mr. Brain.  The OP is not talking about sales.  I would of been better off if I said "Super Mario 3D Worlds", huh. Super Mario is bigger and more popular then GTA, fact.  And that game is coming this holiday season, and I'm going to buy it. Even you know about Super Mario. lol  

DestructorGT said:
Bigger games? Omg Half Life 3 confirmed and coming exclusively on Wii U, lol, I always wanted to do one of these hahahaa

What, that was a poor attempt at a joke and was not funny at all.  Half Life 3 common, you could troll better then that.

pezus said:

Wii Sports is bigger than GTA

PigPen said:
oniyide said:
COLD_COBRA_ said:
PigPen said:
pezus said:

You are totally wrong, you must didn't read the post. Tell me how I missed the point Mr. Brain.  The OP is not talking about sales.  I would of been better off if I said "Super Mario 3D Worlds", huh. Super Mario is bigger and more popular then GTA, fact.  And that game is coming this holiday season, and I'm going to buy it. Even you know about Super Mario. lol  

bigger means sales and popularity. so you are wrong. Unless you have your own defintion of what bigger entails. Cause he didnt say better? thats subjective. Mario 3d world might, MIGHT come close to GTA5's overall sales, but i doubt it. Mario is a bigger franchise but we're not talking franchises we're talking games.