By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Dropped the Ball by Not Securing GTAV: No, they have bigger games coming, they do not need it!!!

Did they?

of course not, Nintendo d... 65 15.40%

yes, Nintendo should have bought Rockstar 78 18.48%

yes 67 15.88%

no 68 16.11%

yes, they should have got the rights 81 19.19%

maybe 41 9.72%

other ( post below) 21 4.98%

Total:421

Nintendo is in Nintendo land. It is something like: there are games and there's Nintendo. The Nintendo you once knew disappeared, but if you own multiple consoles, it shouldn't matter.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network

You could say they dropped the ball on this one, but im sure they can console themselves with the savvy piece of business that secured the exclusivity on Monster Hunter 4. That is gonna sell more units of hardware for them than GTA V would have done. You know every cloud has a silver lining and all that....

zippy said:
You could say they dropped the ball on this one, but im sure they can console themselves with the savvy piece of business that secured the exclusivity on Monster Hunter 4. That is gonna sell more units of hardware for them than GTA V would have done. You know every cloud has a silver lining and all that....

How does Monster Hunter 4 on the DS help the Wii U(nderpowered) though?

moderated kasz216

Wright said:
brendude13 said:
Anybody interested in buying Grand Theft Auto V is pretty much guaranteed to already have a PS3 or a 360. Nintendo should just do their own thing.

Imagine for a second that Nintendo manages to make GTA V a timed exclusive for one or two months.

Imagine.

Yeah the massive backlash from Rockstar's fanbase would be amazing. Wii U would sell an extra million or two systems and Nintendo would have to pay rockstar about a billion. Would be awesome.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

WagnerPaiva said:

The problem is this: Nintendo thinks that people love Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong.
People could not care less for this.
What people loved was the inovation these games brought to the table back in the day.
- The worlds and plataforming of Mario were cool in the 80´s
- The adventure of little Link on Zelda was compelling.
- The mistery and atmosphere of Metroid
- the beautiful graphics of Donkey Kong.

Part of what you say is true.

But people could "care less" about Mario, Zelda, Metroid and DK. The sales (especially for the three not named Metroid), along with Smash and MK, reflect this. End of story.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
WagnerPaiva said:

The problem is this: Nintendo thinks that people love Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong.
People could not care less for this.
What people loved was the inovation these games brought to the table back in the day.
- The worlds and plataforming of Mario were cool in the 80´s
- The adventure of little Link on Zelda was compelling.
- The mistery and atmosphere of Metroid
- the beautiful graphics of Donkey Kong.

Part of what you say is true.

But people could "care less" about Mario, Zelda, Metroid and DK. The sales (especially for the three not named Metroid), along with Smash and MK, reflect this. End of story.

That is true, after all, New SMB sold a ton at DS, but I think the spell is drying out, since the NSMBros HD did not help the WiiU that much

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I don't understand why nintendo doesn't use the cash to pay 3rd parties to port the games to the WII U.

mind said:
Nintendo doesn't have money to buy Rockstar(besides, it's not for sale, if you know what i mean), or even to buy exclusive rights for GTA 5(incl. temporary). 

Please don't make claims like this if you're going to pull it from your arse.

Nintendo Cash on Hand: $11.9 billion

Estimated value of Take Two (that's Rockstar's owner): $1.8 billion (that's equity + assets)

Nintendo could buy the entire publisher without breaking a sweat.

Aielyn said:
mind said:
Nintendo doesn't have money to buy Rockstar(besides, it's not for sale, if you know what i mean), or even to buy exclusive rights for GTA 5(incl. temporary). 

Estimated value of Take Two (that's Rockstar's owner): $1.8 billion (that's equity + assets)

It would probably cost 3 or 4 Billion to buy Take Two, and Nintendo could do it, yes....but what would be the point?

Take Two is a multiplatform publisher that makes games that are meant for multiple systems.  Nintendo buying them would devalue Take Two, and eventually help drop Nintendo's own stock because they spent so much cash reserves on a company that can do them no good financially.

The financial logistics would make such a purchase stupid.

Persistantthug said:
Aielyn said:
mind said:

It would probably cost 3 or 4 Billion to buy Take Two, and Nintendo could do it, yes....but what would be the point?

Take Two is a multiplatform publisher that makes games that are meant for multiple systems.  Nintendo buying them would devalue Take Two, and eventually help drop Nintendo's own stock because they spent so much cash reserves on a company that can do them no good financially.

The financial logistics would make such a purchase stupid.

If anything purchasing ubisoft would be a smarter idea considering ubisoft is the most committed out of all the 3rd parties.