By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Xbox 360 games sell so much better than PS3 world-wide?

JayWood2010 said:

The western market.  Been going on for years.

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

This is even without Japan and most japanese games so yes, X360 sales more the majority of the time.

It's likely due to the long term result of the 360's early launch and the PS3 awful first year. In that time Sony lost quite a lot of the more hardcore gamers, who are the ones buying the most games in the long run. It's likely why MS chose to do all those 180's, rather than be confident in their brand and believe it would win in the long run. Missing out on those first buyers is just too much of a risk, as Sony saw this gen and MS saw last gen.

Around the Network
Talal said:
Goatseye said:
Talal said:

Why do people keep bringing the Japan argument up. The difference between PS3 and 360 in the US is bigger than their difference in Japan. What makes this gap in Japan so important?

If MS had sold half of what Sony sold in US it would've had a much bigger impact in the WORLD.

And if Sony had sold the same amount MS sold in the US it would have had an even bigger impact on the world.

Doubt it.

Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:
Maybe because of PS Plus and maybe not every ps3 owner buys ALL the main stream games.
For example: american people buy a lof of shooters right? European people a bit less, in some genres american sales (country with more 360s sold than ps3s) have great impact worldwide in my opinion. I think ps3 players have more different tastes among them. (sorry if there are some grammar mistakes)

What a misconception. Who buys more arcade/indy games than US? US buys more soccer games than EU or Japan buy football.

The market where the consumers vary their choice the most is US then EU then Japan.

US buys more soccer games than Europe? Surely that can't be right.

As for the OP. It's because of shit ports. If you own both consoles what reason would you have for buying the shittier version. This then has a knock on effect since you make friends on the game and get your next game for the same console even if both version are identical.

Adinnieken said:

I don't get it.  If the PS3 is more popular in Europe and Japan, and the PS3 is of equal numbers to the Xbox 360, why do Xbox 360 versions of games sell so much better than PS3 versions?

Thats pretty easy. Microsoft got the early adopters to get more 360's between the first and second year. Most of their early adopters came from America and Europe, whom make the most purchases. They also made sure their commercialization was high on annualized titles and AAA third party. The early adopters are the most hardcore. Whoever gets the early adopters first gets the higher sales as time goes on. The PS4 looks like they will have them this gen.

RazorDragon said:
Most multiplatform games are better on the 360. I believe that's the main reason.

"Oh man, that PS3 version of -insert title here- is obviously graphically unimpressive! I'll buy it on my 360 instead!"

Come on now. Are you saying a vast majority of games play better on the 360 and that is THE reason why everyone buys the 360 versions over the PS3?

I can't wait till next gen, because the PS4 is obviously  a powerhouse and the differences will not be as negligible as this gen, and your saying the minute differences are the reason.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
JayWood2010 said:

The western market.  Been going on for years.

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

This is even without Japan and most japanese games so yes, X360 sales more the majority of the time.

It's likely due to the long term result of the 360's early launch and the PS3 awful first year. In that time Sony lost quite a lot of the more hardcore gamers, who are the ones buying the most games in the long run. It's likely why MS chose to do all those 180's, rather than be confident in their brand and believe it would win in the long run. Missing out on those first buyers is just too much of a risk, as Sony saw this gen and MS saw last gen.

And that is why the majority of multiplat games still sell more on X360.  If sony didnt have the majority of JRPG games exclusively then X360 would have an even bigger lead.

You need to remember the PS3 has sold more hardware than the X360 yet X360 has sold more software.

JerCotter7 said:
Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:
Maybe because of PS Plus and maybe not every ps3 owner buys ALL the main stream games.
For example: american people buy a lof of shooters right? European people a bit less, in some genres american sales (country with more 360s sold than ps3s) have great impact worldwide in my opinion. I think ps3 players have more different tastes among them. (sorry if there are some grammar mistakes)

What a misconception. Who buys more arcade/indy games than US? US buys more soccer games than EU or Japan buy football.

The market where the consumers vary their choice the most is US then EU then Japan.

US buys more soccer games than Europe? Surely that can't be right.

As for the OP. It's because of shit ports. If you own both consoles what reason would you have for buying the shittier version. This then has a knock on effect since you make friends on the game and get your next game for the same console even if both version are identical.

I meant to say something else, thanks for calling me out.

JayWood2010 said:

I believe he is talking about the majority of the time and it is no secret that multiplat games generally sell more on X360.  MSFT is nonexistent in japan so this is doing it without japan pretty much

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

Hell just look at this week

Global Top Sellers 24th August 2013

1 X360 Saints Row IV 541,245
2 PS3 Saints Row IV 287,453
3 X360 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 257,866
4 PS3 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 162,122
5 X360 Disney Infinity 122,309
6 Wii Disney Infinity 106,512
7 PS3 Disney Infinity 84,099
8 X360 Minecraft 56,340
9 X360 The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 56,258
10 3DS Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 55,863

This is a curious post.  I'm not really sure what you think it proves.  That western developed games often sell better on the 360?  I think everyone knows that.  Japan, which is a significant part of the Playstation fanbase, doesn't buy these games at a very high rate.  I mean, what would it prove if I showed a week with several Japanese releases?

As for total software sold, you do realize that, amazingly, it breaks down to about the same sales rate for each, right?  Go ahead, divide each total by the number of years each has been on the market.  If anyone thinks that the PS3 should have the same total amount of software sold despite releasing a year later ... well, tell me who they are so I can point and laugh.

Alot of the most popular software have bigger draw in the US (shooters.multiplayer games) then in EU/Japan. Also the PS3 has only just passed the Xbox360 in sales, prior years the 360 was ahead by a head and so would naturally have more software sales.

JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Adinnieken said:

I don't get it.  If the PS3 is more popular in Europe and Japan, and the PS3 is of equal numbers to the Xbox 360, why do Xbox 360 versions of games sell so much better than PS3 versions?

They don't. Western games, or games designed for Western audiences typically sell better on the 360 (though there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case) just as Japan-centric games generally sell better on PS3. Xbox 360 has a larger Western install base, PS3 has a larger Eastern one.

I believe he is talking about the majority of the time and it is no secret that multiplat games generally sell more on X360.  MSFT is nonexistent in japan so this is doing it without japan pretty much

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

Hell just look at this week

Global Top Sellers 24th August 2013

1 X360 Saints Row IV 541,245
2 PS3 Saints Row IV 287,453
3 X360 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 257,866
4 PS3 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 162,122
5 X360 Disney Infinity 122,309
6 Wii Disney Infinity 106,512
7 PS3 Disney Infinity 84,099
8 X360 Minecraft 56,340
9 X360 The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 56,258
10 3DS Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 55,863

No, it is no secret that Western multiplats generally sell better on the 360. Not sure why you're having an issue comprehending this. There are about 10 million more 360 owners in the west than there are PS3 owners, so it completely makes sense. Notice how all of the games in your list are Western? The Japanese home console market is much smaller than in the west, so obviously most of the highest selling software will be on the console with a mostly Western install base, as opposed to the one with a mixed install base, at least when overall hardware units are similar numbers (which is the case with PS360 both at ~80 million)