By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Xbox 360 games sell so much better than PS3 world-wide?

Goatseye said:
JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Adinnieken said:

I don't get it.  If the PS3 is more popular in Europe and Japan, and the PS3 is of equal numbers to the Xbox 360, why do Xbox 360 versions of games sell so much better than PS3 versions?

They don't. Western games, or games designed for Western audiences typically sell better on the 360 (though there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case) just as Japan-centric games generally sell better on PS3. Xbox 360 has a larger Western install base, PS3 has a larger Eastern one.

I believe he is talking about the majority of the time and it is no secret that multiplat games generally sell more on X360.  MSFT is nonexistent in japan so this is doing it without japan pretty much

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

Hell just look at this week

Global Top Sellers 24th August 2013

1 X360 Saints Row IV 541,245
2 PS3 Saints Row IV 287,453
3 X360 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 257,866
4 PS3 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 162,122
5 X360 Disney Infinity 122,309
6 Wii Disney Infinity 106,512
7 PS3 Disney Infinity 84,099
8 X360 Minecraft 56,340
9 X360 The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 56,258
10 3DS Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 55,863

It's mind blowing how MS progression in the market is downplayed!

I often hear about the 1 year lead bs, but we never hear about MS handicap in Japan( almost 10 mil consoles difference) but still hardware to software attach ratio and software sales are higher on Xbox 360.

Why do people keep bringing the Japan argument up. The difference between PS3 and 360 in the US is bigger than their difference in Japan. What makes this gap in Japan so important?

Around the Network

I still don't understand why a whole nation decides to ditch titles like Halo,Gears,Forza and XBLA.
To me that's kind of missing a generation right there.
Do they have a unified center of intelligence that's connected to all the gamers? It looks like they have a singular taste for everyone.

Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:
Maybe because of PS Plus and maybe not every ps3 owner buys ALL the main stream games.
For example: american people buy a lof of shooters right? European people a bit less, in some genres american sales (country with more 360s sold than ps3s) have great impact worldwide in my opinion. I think ps3 players have more different tastes among them. (sorry if there are some grammar mistakes)

What a misconception. Who buys more arcade/indy games than US? US buys more soccer games than EU or Japan buy football.

The market where the consumers vary their choice the most is US then EU then Japan.

Misconception?  You're really saying that Americans don't buy a lot of shooters?  Uh.  Maybe you bolded the wrong thing?

Talal said:
Goatseye said:

I often hear about the 1 year lead bs, but we never hear about MS handicap in Japan( almost 10 mil consoles difference) but still hardware to software attach ratio and software sales are higher on Xbox 360.

Why do people keep bringing the Japan argument up. The difference between PS3 and 360 in the US is bigger than their difference in Japan. What makes this gap in Japan so important?

If MS had sold half of what Sony sold in US it would've had a much bigger impact in the WORLD.

As far as I know, the trend shifted a couple years ago. PS3 games in general began outselling 360 games. Mind you I'm not talking about individual franchises compared to each other. Rather, total software sales. The 360 has sold more overall because Westerners account for a larger amount of game sales, especially the United States when compared to any other single nation. The 360 dominated the PS3 in sales in North America for a long time, and Europe to a lesser extent, for years after the new generation started. The 360 also had a one year head-start where it was the only next-gen platform selling any games. Like I said though, the trend has shifted. According to VGChartz, at the beginning of the year the PS3 was behind the 360 in global software sales by about 96 million. The most recent global sales chart shows the PS3 now behind by 87 million. In almost 8 months time, the PS3 closed the gap by 9 million in software sales. This year alone the PS3 is closing the gap by over 1 million every month on average. Obviously not enough to overtake the 360 before the new generation starts but it could very well represent a trend that will spill over into the new generation. For the last few years, the PlayStation brand has been more popular. Even before the next-gen headlines we have now.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Adinnieken said:

I don't get it.  If the PS3 is more popular in Europe and Japan, and the PS3 is of equal numbers to the Xbox 360, why do Xbox 360 versions of games sell so much better than PS3 versions?

They don't. Western games, or games designed for Western audiences typically sell better on the 360 (though there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case) just as Japan-centric games generally sell better on PS3. Xbox 360 has a larger Western install base, PS3 has a larger Eastern one.

I believe he is talking about the majority of the time and it is no secret that multiplat games generally sell more on X360.  MSFT is nonexistent in japan so this is doing it without japan pretty much

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

Hell just look at this week

Global Top Sellers 24th August 2013

1 X360 Saints Row IV 541,245
2 PS3 Saints Row IV 287,453
3 X360 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 257,866
4 PS3 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 162,122
5 X360 Disney Infinity 122,309
6 Wii Disney Infinity 106,512
7 PS3 Disney Infinity 84,099
8 X360 Minecraft 56,340
9 X360 The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 56,258
10 3DS Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 55,863

Yea and game ratio is higher on the vita than 3ds, I guess the vita wins right? When something isn't apart of the main stream it's easier to gain a higher attachment rate. Also yes the year longer on market does affect the attechment of the console eg the total hours of ownership on the 360 is more than the ps3 despite the ps3 having more units sold. Again no of this matter becuase the the question in the op isn't even a fact.

Goatseye said:

Why would the 360 being behind in Japan harm their attach ratio?  Japan traditionally has lower attach ratios compared to the US, so that would only help the 360 there.  Also, none of those new releases in your quote were even out in Japan that week, so again, that deficiency in Japan is only helping in that comparison.

It depends on the game. Not all sell best on the Xbox.Fighters and some specific series tend to sell better on the PS3. Plus, plenty of owners who own both systems tend to side with the 360 for multiplat games since they usually perform better there (in most cases). Most of my multiplat games on there, but I did get Tomb Raider and Portal 2 on the PS3 since they're supposedly superior on that platform, however.

Goatseye said:
Talal said:

If MS had sold half of what Sony sold in US it would've had a much bigger impact in the WORLD.

And if Sony had sold the same amount MS sold in the US it would have had an even bigger impact on the world.

pokoko said:
Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:
Maybe because of PS Plus and maybe not every ps3 owner buys ALL the main stream games.
For example: american people buy a lof of shooters right? European people a bit less, in some genres american sales (country with more 360s sold than ps3s) have great impact worldwide in my opinion. I think ps3 players have more different tastes among them. (sorry if there are some grammar mistakes)

What a misconception. Who buys more arcade/indy games than US? US buys more soccer games than EU or Japan buy football.

The market where the consumers vary their choice the most is US then EU then Japan.

Misconception?  You're really saying that Americans don't buy a lot of shooters?  Uh.  Maybe you bolded the wrong thing?

I bolded what he/she wanted people to perceive. European numbers are comparable to US in terms of marketshare ratio.

The franchise that mostly sold in both markets is COD. Not only in US.