By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Xbox 360 games sell so much better than PS3 world-wide?

pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:

I believe he is talking about the majority of the time and it is no secret that multiplat games generally sell more on X360.  MSFT is nonexistent in japan so this is doing it without japan pretty much

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

Hell just look at this week

This is a curious post.  I'm not really sure what you think it proves.  That western developed games often sell better on the 360?  I think everyone knows that.  Japan, which is a significant part of the Playstation fanbase, doesn't buy these games at a very high rate.  I mean, what would it prove if I showed a week with several Japanese releases?

As for total software sold, you do realize that, amazingly, it breaks down to about the same sales rate for each, right?  Go ahead, divide each total by the number of years each has been on the market.  If anyone thinks that the PS3 should have the same total amount of software sold despite releasing a year later ... well, tell me who they are so I can point and laugh.

This is a multiplat question, not overall.  Sony has the majority of JRPG games exclusively while X360 is completely nonexistent in Japan.  Yet it has a marginal lead over PS3 even though PS3 has sold more hardware.  Why is this????  Ding ding ding! Because of multiplatform games sell more on X360 for the majority of the time.

Most big releases are western games, and yes they usually sell more on X360.  Go look through statistics if you want.  Majority of the time it will always favor X360

Around the Network
Wright said:

This is not always the case, so I must point out the contradiction in your argument.

DucksUnlimited said:

No, it is no secret that Western multiplats generally sell better on the 360. Not sure why you're having an issue comprehending this. There are about 10 million more 360 owners in the west than there are PS3 owners, so it completely makes sense. Notice how all of the games in your list are Western? The Japanese home console market is much smaller than in the west, so obviously most of the highest selling software will be on the console with a mostly Western install base, as opposed to the one with a mixed install base, at least when overall hardware units are similar numbers (which is the case with PS360 both at ~80 million)

So PS3 sells more hardware and has JRPG gaming pretty much exclusively while X360 has sold more software regardless and Im not comprehending something? lol ok then.

Goatseye said:
riderz13371 said:
Goatseye said:
In US Fifa sells equal or better on 360 just pointing that out.

The OP says world-wide, just pointing that out.

It's because of the lead the 360 has in the US market. But in Europe even Call of Duty sells more on PS3.

I go with the thread flow, just pointing that out.

What part of "OP" do you not understand?

JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

No, it is no secret that Western multiplats generally sell better on the 360. Not sure why you're having an issue comprehending this. There are about 10 million more 360 owners in the west than there are PS3 owners, so it completely makes sense. Notice how all of the games in your list are Western? The Japanese home console market is much smaller than in the west, so obviously most of the highest selling software will be on the console with a mostly Western install base, as opposed to the one with a mixed install base, at least when overall hardware units are similar numbers (which is the case with PS360 both at ~80 million)

So PS3 sells more hardware and has JRPG gaming pretty much exclusively while X360 has sold more software regardless and Im not comprehending something? lol ok then.

Yep, the American crowd buys more products. MS did a good job of getting that initial early adopter crowd to jump ship from Sony, ensuring stable third party sales.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

360 has sold more software because it was on the market for a year longer. If Xbox 360 stopped selling software for a year the PS3 would catch up, if not surpass it in software sales. 

JayWood2010 said:
Zekkyou said:
JayWood2010 said:

The western market.  Been going on for years.

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

This is even without Japan and most japanese games so yes, X360 sales more the majority of the time.

It's likely due to the long term result of the 360's early launch and the PS3 awful first year. In that time Sony lost quite a lot of the more hardcore gamers, who are the ones buying the most games in the long run. It's likely why MS chose to do all those 180's, rather than be confident in their brand and believe it would win in the long run. Missing out on those first buyers is just too much of a risk, as Sony saw this gen and MS saw last gen.

And that is why the majority of multiplat games still sell more on X360.  If sony didnt have the majority of JRPG games exclusively then X360 would have an even bigger lead.

You need to remember the PS3 has sold more hardware than the X360 yet X360 has sold more software.

I know that, but it's who owns them that matters. I was just pointing out that the people who buy consoles in their first years are mostly the more hardcore early adopters. Sony buggering up the second year of the gen must have hurt a hell of a lot too.

If we lived in a world in which both had launched in the same year, and both still had equal sales by now in the US and EU, the total software sales for both would likely be near identical. I still think that launching a year later was the biggest mistake Sony made this entire generation. They should have been better prepared. (though in fairness, MS did somewhat rush the 360 out. We all know how that went).

The 360 has a higher attach ratio (more games bought per console).

MonstaMack said:
RazorDragon said:
Most multiplatform games are better on the 360. I believe that's the main reason.

"Oh man, that PS3 version of -insert title here- is obviously graphically unimpressive! I'll buy it on my 360 instead!"

Come on now. Are you saying a vast majority of games play better on the 360 and that is THE reason why everyone buys the 360 versions over the PS3?

I can't wait till next gen, because the PS4 is obviously  a powerhouse and the differences will not be as negligible as this gen, and your saying the minute differences are the reason.

Whoa man, calm down! No need to get offended by what I said, I just stated my opinion. And, yes, I'm saying that graphical differences are what makes people buy 360 verisions instead of the PS3 ones(and framerate, controls, etc.). It's one of the reasons to explain why most multiplatform games that perform better on 360 sell better on it(and, also, the reason that most multiplatforms who perform better on PS3 sell better on it). And, about next-gen, aside from the fact no one mentioned anything about PS4 here except you, I play multiplatform games on PC, so I could care less about the difference between the two consoles.

riderz13371 said:
Goatseye said:
riderz13371 said:
Goatseye said:
In US Fifa sells equal or better on 360 just pointing that out.

The OP says world-wide, just pointing that out.

It's because of the lead the 360 has in the US market. But in Europe even Call of Duty sells more on PS3.

I go with the thread flow, just pointing that out.

What part of "OP" do you not understand?

The acronym part. Why you're answering to me? It looks like you're not following OP also.